UPDATE: QB Justin Fields Commits to The Puppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
T-Rex is correct in that Mac is going on his 4th recruiting class.

Rex is very good at phrasing things for maximum benefit. In my opinion, Rex cleverly uses this information to create a perception.

Instead of it being his 3rd season, it's his 4th recruiting class. Nice little trick to extend the time frame. For example, one could say that we are going into Mac's third season and the QB position is still a question mark. However, it sounds much worse if you say that Mac is going on his 4th recruiting class and the QB position is still a question mark. Both are referring to the same time frame, but one definitely gives a perception of a longer period of time than the other.

"Pumpers" are accused of doing this very thing all the time. It's all about phrasing the truth in a manner which gives the greatest benefit to your argument.

I think this is what Threat is arguing against.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
T-Rex is correct in that Mac is going on his 4th recruiting class.

Rex is very good at phrasing things for maximum benefit. In my opinion, Rex cleverly uses this information to create a perception.

Instead of it being his 3rd season, it's his 4th recruiting class. Nice little trick to extend the time frame. For example, one could say that we are going into Mac's third season and the QB position is still a question mark. However, it sounds much worse if you say that Mac is going on his 4th recruiting class and the QB position is still a question mark. Both are referring to the same time frame, but one definitely gives a perception of a longer period of time than the other.

"Pumpers" are accused of doing this very thing all the time. It's all about phrasing the truth in a manner which gives the greatest benefit to your argument.

I think this is what Threat is arguing against.

Hey, I was told that it takes at least a decade to create relationships.

All BS aside...2222...are you not the least bit disappointed that the QB guru(whether fair or not) has a QB situation that is so unsettled going into his THIRD season at UF?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Hey, I was told that it takes at least a decade to create relationships.

All BS aside...2222...are you not the least bit disappointed that the QB guru(whether fair or not) has a QB situation that is so unsettled going into his THIRD season at UF?

Spurrier has said repeatedly that he walked into a loaded roster. Meyer inherited a national championship caliber QB. Even Zook inherited a pretty darn good QB.

When Mac arrived Florida was seen as the place where QBs go to die. It was almost impossible to convince a QB to play at Florida. The only memories the high school kids had of Florida was the place that didn't think it was necessary to hire a WR coach.

The Florida offense was toxic and no good QB recruit in his right mind wanted to play at Florida.

It has taken longer than I would like. I wish Mac had inherited a stud QB, a decent O-line and some WRs with actual talent. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. However, the kids in the 2018 class seem to feel differently about Florida. The crystal ball picks right now are very encouraging. If we manage to get Fields, everything could change in a hurry.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Disappointed a little, sure, but far from ready to cut my wrist over the QB position at Florida..

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier has said repeatedly that he walked into a loaded roster. Meyer inherited a national championship caliber QB. Even Zook inherited a pretty darn good QB.

When Mac arrived Florida was seen as the place where QBs go to die. It was almost impossible to convince a QB to play at Florida. The only memories the high school kids had of Florida was the place that didn't think it was necessary to hire a WR coach.

The Florida offense was toxic and no good QB recruit in his right mind wanted to play at Florida.

It has taken longer than I would like. I wish Mac had inherited a stud QB, a decent O-line and some WRs with actual talent. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. However, the kids in the 2018 class seem to feel differently about Florida. The crystal ball picks right now are very encouraging. If we manage to get Fields, everything could change in a hurry.

I totally get the first year being rough but he actually created some buzz getting to ATL.

2222, you are the stat guy...I couldn't find a worse two year avg than Mac's two seasons.

He's gotta translate that(ATL X 2) into a big time QB recruit. Maybe it's Fields. IDK but you'd think we'd get that 5 star guy to commit.

Is it Nuss? If it is...they are going to be gone together. You and I both know that.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Disappointed a little, sure, but far from ready to cut my wrist over the QB position at Florida..
A little disappointed? It's been 10 years of bad qb play. I'm ready to cut my wrist and hang upside down.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Totally respect your opinion Deuce...none of us should slit a wrist. The other 164 hours in our week are probably way more important. I hear about Garrett Grayson. I hear he's this offensive mastermind. Well f ing show it. If you're BFF can't handle it then fire his ass.

Make no mistake...we made it to ATL on our DEFENSE that was left by Muschamp. Yea...I said it. That's gone.

Is this the year he is exposed?

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I will say this, Grier would have bought butters time to bring in his QB because I believe our offense would have much less offensive with grier at QB and therefore recruiting a subsequent QB would not have been as difficult as it has been. SO in summary, losing Grier is what will eventually cause mac to lose his job.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I do t think anyone wants to cut their wrists. Just cut ties with this inept coaching staff.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Every team in the country can point to a single game, half or series where they showed signs of improvement. Newsflash...those don't equate to sh*t except for a good game, half or series. Mac has PROVEN that in two full seasons he is incapable of generating an offense better than Muschchamp did. Hope all you want, but I believe what I can see and two years of sh*t from a guy hired to fix the offense is more than enough time for me to make a decision.

I keep trying to explain this, but Mac has had to literally build an offense from nothing at the D1 level. He was given very little to work with and has had to rebuild with his guys. This is going to be his third season and basically he has had to do everything with guys he recruited. That means relying on true freshman and sophomores to build an offense.

As I have said over and over... the lack of quality QB play is obviously something that has to improve this year, but he has rebuilt the whole offensive line, and the WR corp. Last year was his second year... how many Muschamp players started on offense? Brandon Powell and David Sharp? Think about that... think about the challenge of literally having to rebuild a whole offense to succeed in the SEC. Muschamp left Mac with less than Muschamp ever had.

I keep saying this over and over, but people are underestimating the amount of work it takes and the need to have experienced guys playing in order to succeed.

This year will be key... Whoever he starts at QB had better be solid. I'm not saying the guy needs to be amazing, but he needs to be proficient and the OL needs to perform.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I will say this, Grier would have bought butters time to bring in his QB because I believe our offense would have much less offensive with grier at QB and therefore recruiting a subsequent QB would not have been as difficult as it has been. SO in summary, losing Grier is what will eventually cause mac to lose his job.

Crete? Crete? Where are you? :stirpot:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

We would still have Nuss... so we would still be running double reverses when we need 1 yard to get a first down.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I keep trying to explain this, but Mac has had to literally build an offense from nothing at the D1 level. He was given very little to work with and has had to rebuild with his guys. This is going to be his third season and basically he has had to do everything with guys he recruited. That means relying on true freshman and sophomores to build an offense.

As I have said over and over... the lack of quality QB play is obviously something that has to improve this year, but he has rebuilt the whole offensive line, and the WR corp. Last year was his second year... how many Muschamp players started on offense? Brandon Powell and David Sharp? Think about that... think about the challenge of literally having to rebuild a whole offense to succeed in the SEC. Muschamp left Mac with less than Muschamp ever had.

I keep saying this over and over, but people are underestimating the amount of work it takes and the need to have experienced guys playing in order to succeed.

This year will be key... Whoever he starts at QB had better be solid. I'm not saying the guy needs to be amazing, but he needs to be proficient and the OL needs to perform.
I don't buy all the excuses. I understand the hand he was dealt, but he has done NOTHING to prove he will be any better on that side of the ball. NOTHING!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't buy all the excuses. I understand the hand he was dealt, but he has done NOTHING to prove he will be any better on that side of the ball. NOTHING!

He has greatly upgraded the talent at every offensive position except QB. So I don't think you can say "NOTHING".

I think he definitely needs to show it on the field this year, but as I have said.. you under estimate how bad our offensive talent was when he arrived. I'm not just talking OL... our WR and TE talent was pitiful. We have absolutely no guys with play making ability. You have to have guys who can make somebody miss and take it the distance... McElwain inherited nobody who could do that.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He has greatly upgraded the talent at every offensive position except QB. So I don't think you can say "NOTHING".

I think he definitely needs to show it on the field this year, but as I have said.. you under estimate how bad our offensive talent was when he arrived. I'm not just talking OL... our WR and TE talent was pitiful. We have absolutely no guys with play making ability. You have to have guys who can make somebody miss and take it the distance... McElwain inherited nobody who could do that.
How can you say he's greatly upgraded the talent when the results are the same or worse?

Again, I can see the hand he was dealt so I'm not underestimating anything. What you fail to see is the truth...he's done NOTHING to improve the offensive results. You simply continue to go back to what poor ol Mac inherited. HE WAS HIRED TO FIX IT AND HAS NOT DONE IT HEADING INTO HIS THIRD FULL SEASON!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Fields would be the highest recruit in Mac's(going on 4th class) FL history.

images

Mac has recruited several players with higher recruiting ratings than Fields and 2x as many as that with the same. I'm tired of looking **** up for you and doing the math.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have no issue if you were to say that the overall talent level on offense that McElwain has recruited has been better than Muschamp, but that is more damning in my opinion. Because the results have been the same. This will be the first year that the team will be mostly McElwain recruits, there has to be improvement... or as an organization we need to be looking elsewhere.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac isn't heading his 3rd full season: there's no full season that hasn't occurred yet. He's had only had 2 full seasons. Stop with the 3 even 4 seasons at recruiting. Please, when Mac was hired in Nov.14, all the top recruits already had their established relationships. It was in no way a level field. The UF Program had a new HC from out west, UF's HC had yet to put together the complete coaching staff that these recruits insist on trusting?

The actual level-field recruiting is most validly shown by Mac's starters consisting majorly of redshirt freshmen and sophomores. (With the "name-dropped" 4 years recruiting, Mac's team would be stocked with seniors of his choosing??)

Due to the reasonableness of University employment practices, an HC will not be fired given only a chance to not have his own recruited players as seniors contributing. That means 4 years at the minimum. That is it, whether you or I hate who the University hired. Mac's getting 4 years, so we ought to be extending upbeat fanship so potential recruits & national pundits do not spread our fans reputation as badgering creeps. What kid would want to play in front of haters??

While the University "brass" wait an almost required 4 years, they (we) can hope Mac succeeds in his 3rd & 4th year? It's time to begin nourishing our very young Gator team with believing we're gonna win & win & win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.