UT running game vs UF front seven

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Might as well put this out here now even though we've got North Texas first.

This is where the rubber is gonna hit the road folks. Our pass rush and secondary play have been vicious. Every time UK dropped back to pass they were in a world of hurt. Running a pass play was their death knell every drive.

BUT, having watched the game live and then on replay, I gotta say it's a little unnerving how much UK was able to blow some big holes open between the tackles and consistently get their backs to the second level. They didn't even bother with any outside runs or toss sweeps with the exception of one reverse play. As strong as our pass rush has proven to be, we remain a DL that relies on speed over bulk overall, and that fact could really put us in a world of hurt if we can't force UT into some passing situations. They start running down our throats and it will be hard to get the offense out there to keep us in a game where the defense is getting worn thin in the trenches.

This matchup will decide the game. We have to force Dobbs to throw. But that only happens if we can limit them to third and long situations by stopping the rush cold on first and second downs.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

This is where the rubber is gonna hit the road folks. Our pass rush and secondary play have been vicious. Every time UK dropped back to pass they were in a world of hurt. Running a pass play was their death knell every drive.

BUT, having watched the game live and then on replay, I gotta say it's a little unnerving how much UK was able to blow some big holes open between the tackles and consistently get their backs to the second level. They didn't even bother with any outside runs or toss sweeps with the exception of one reverse play. As strong as our pass rush has proven to be, we remain a DL that relies on speed over bulk overall, and that fact could really put us in a world of hurt if we can't force UT into some passing situations. They start running down our throats and it will be hard to get the offense out there to keep us in a game where the defense is getting worn thin in the trenches.

This matchup will decide the game. We have to force Dobbs to throw. But that only happens if we can limit them to third and long situations by stopping the rush cold on first and second downs.

Agreed.

We aren't built to stop a power running team.

Would love to force them into passing situations.

Alex.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep that is probably their only chance to win. Hopefully we have enough bodies on the D line to keep that in check some. Their O line isnt top notch it appears.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

As with every year, this game is going to come down to who can run the ball. As concerned as I am with out runs defense, I'm just as concerned with our own OL creating holes. UT has a really good D-Line, maybe one of the best, and certainly has depth. We've got to be able to run to open the passing. Plain and simple.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As with every year, this game is going to come down to who can run the ball. As concerned as I am with out runs defense, I'm just as concerned with our own OL creating holes. UT has a really good D-Line, maybe one of the best, and certainly has depth. We've got to be able to run to open the passing. Plain and simple.

If UT has one of the best DLs, then we can be in trouble or our OL can make a positive statement about
their worth. Grow Gators !

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'd probably keep my LBer's at home for this game and not blitz. Straight up 4 man front. Our CB's should be ok in coverage. We can't send LB's into their backfield only to have Dobbs take off for 10, 12 and 15 yards a clip like last year. Stay at home because even when Dobbs has all day he makes mistakes with his arm...Keep 7 near the los and let them try to beat us with their mediocre offensive line and Dobbs arm.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
AaY1yCT.jpg

dobbsPIC_zpskmnfitgi.jpg

This is who our defense needs to stop in the running game. :lol2:

Sep 29, 2015

I agree with this assessment. I think the best defense may be our offense in this regard. In other words, we need to score points early and force them to abandon the run. Get up 14 early, or even 10, and butch will panic and make Dobbs throw it.

Beside that, Anzalone won't allow the tackling debacle from last year to recur.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
As strong as our pass rush has proven to be, we remain a DL that relies on speed over bulk overall, and that fact could really put us in a world of hurt if we can't force UT into some passing situations. They start running down our throats and it will be hard to get the offense out there to keep us in a game where the defense is getting worn thin in the trenches.

If you recall, Appy State's d-line was all about speed over bulk and they made Tennessee's o-line look silly and did a great job of disrupting their run game holding them to 3 yards per rush.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I definitely think this will be a key to winning the game. The other key is our OL vs. their DL. This will be the first real test for the OL. We saw how bad our offense looked when our OL didn't play well against UMASS. If we can't give the QB time or open holes in the run game it will be a long day.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
I know VA Tech's defense worn down late in the game but Im sure Coach Gray will be on the phone w' Bud Foster about how to stop ut. Besides we have superior athletes compared to VA Tech. As long as we don't turn it over 5x's and give ut the ball on the 20 yd line going in we will win!

Go Gators!

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Sounds like UT will be a LOS game. I'm eager to see how J. Taylor/Desir-Jones perform against North Texas this Saturday. Good tune-up for their Knoxville debut.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think our front 7-8 will be fine against UT. It will be the same game plan as last year. Load the box and I would assign Anzalone to Dobbs the entire game. Stuff Hurd as much as possible, he's going to get some yards. Dude can play. Dobbs will then have to use his legs, but keep him contained. If he is forced to throw he will be more unsuccessful. His deep passes have been more luck and poor DB play. But it's simple, contain Dobbs and Hurd at all cost.

With that said the offense must play well. I think some passing offense will allow UF to run more. NO TURNOVERS. Combine the two UF continues the streak.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think everything about the buttchuggers run game as well as their defensive line is vastly overrated. We will win the battle in both areas. Write it down.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
App State owned TN's o-line for much of that game. Va Tech was absolutely eating TN's o-line for lunch in that first quarter. Turnovers killed Tech and completely changed that game. We just have to contain Dobbs and Hurd and we'll be fine. Based on what I've seen from our front and their o-line I am extremely optimistic about this. If we start forcing TN into third and long they are doomed. Our secondary will tee off on their passing game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Winner. Hurd is a very good, big RB. But we should be able to contain him (keep him under 100 yards). I'm more concerned about Dobbs getting loose like he did last year.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
If you recall, Appy State's d-line was all about speed over bulk and they made Tennessee's o-line look silly and did a great job of disrupting their run game holding them to 3 yards per rush.
:bob:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@SECcountry: Total Defense Yards Per Play: #SEC
1. Florida 3.36
2. Alabama 3.41
3. Texas A&M 4.34
4. Georgia 4.59