UVA ****s the bed, Kensucky still blows it

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I was just expressing what seemed to me to be reasonable odds in view of the fact that the first 134 times a 16 seed played a 1 seed, they lost. So it seemed to me that fair odds should be at least 100 to 1. I will leave serious betting to those of you who know more about it.

Gotcha. Now I understand where your 134 number came from.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
and to think some on these very boards really wanted Bennett here at UF when we lost 3 in a row earlier this year. We played stall ball and lost those games the last 8 minutes of those games. UVA plays stall ball the ENTIRE game. Bennett and UVA a great regular season but March is where it matters and he flamed out once again, this time in Historic fashion.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I would imagine this is Bennett’s wake up call that his style of play is not conducive to success in a single elimination tournament.

Yea even those of us with low basketball IQs (lol) could see that

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I like that it was the ACC, the so-called b-ball conference, which had the first team to lose to a 16 seed.

Could that be a function of probably having the most number one seeds in tourney history?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
All I know is that a LOT of people had UVA getting to the Final Four (checks mirror, checks office pool, checks family pool), and many had them winning it all (sighs...checks wife's bracket in family pool...smiles).

A lot of brackets just got wrecked.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I personally couldn't be happier. Can the Tony Bennett lovefest end now? Stall ball never wins championships, ever.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/sports/virginia-upset.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/sports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

I thought this was and excellent analysis. If you aren't interested in particulars of the game itself skip to the last few paragraphs about the math professors analysis of NCAA tourney upsets. Pretty interesting. Make sure you read the Billy Beane part as well. "My **** don't work come playoff time".

Not sure why there is all this UVA hate but whatever.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Not sure why there is all this UVA hate but whatever.
I dont see it but the nature of this is people LOVE to laugh and point when someone that aint supposed to fail or fails bigly (learned that word in the last election).

Let me end with this observation about college basketball now. Let me say this about less physical and athletic teams. You take that three pt line back out of the game and all these Cinderella teams go away. It has changed the game I grew up with COMPLETELY..................im not sure I really like it as much this way.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I dont see it but the nature of this is people LOVE to laugh and point when someone that aint supposed to fail or fails bigly (learned that word in the last election).

Let me end with this observation about college basketball now. Let me say this about less physical and athletic teams. You take that three pt line back out of the game and all these Cinderella teams go away. It has changed the game I grew up with COMPLETELY..................im not sure I really like it as much this way.
I've been saying for years it needs to be the NBA distance, it's just to easy now.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I would imagine this is Bennett’s wake up call that his style of play is not conducive to success in a single elimination tournament.
Umm.....he won the ACC tournament, 3 games in 3 days single elimination against teams in the conference that know their style of play so not sure I agree with that conclusion. What I would agree to is that they have only one way to win.

If I told you before the tourney started that a 16 seed would out rebound a 1 by 11, shoot 54%FG and 50% from the 3 with a minimum of 8 shots, and score more points than the no. 1 had allowed all year, how many would pick the upset? It was the perfect storm of one team playing out of their minds and one playing the worst they have played all year and that's why they lost. I will say that the offensive style depends too much of the defense shutting people down and when thats not going well they are in trouble. They got lucky against Louisville and lost to Va Tech because of it.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Wow. Historically easy road to the F4.

I hope UK chokes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/despite-jo...torically-easy-path-final-four-212510957.html

And quite suddenly, nobody in the last 33 years has ever had it as good as Kentucky will have it. Should Cal’s rapidly improving team advance through the city known during March tournaments as “Catlanta” — the fan turnout will be an absolute avalanche of blue — the path to San Antonio will be historically smooth.

If Kentucky beats Kansas State — which actually dropped a spot in the Pomeroy Ratings, to 39th, after slogging past UMBC on Sunday — and plays Nevada, the combined seed total of UK’s four opponents will be 41. If Kentucky beats Kansas State and plays Loyola, that seed total would be 45.

Seven Final Four teams have had a total higher than 41 and seven have had a total higher than 45: Duke 1986 (43), UNLV 1990 (47), North Carolina 1991 (47), Michigan 1993 (44), Duke 1999 (43), Michigan State 2001 (48) and Kansas 2008 (46). But here’s the catch: All of those were No. 1 seeds. Through pre-tournament performance, they earned the right to start with a No. 16 seed and then either a No. 8 or No. 9. The breaks they received didn’t really start until the Sweet 16.

Kentucky is in line for three substantial breaks in terms of opponent: a 13 seed instead of a 4 in the second round; a 9 instead of a 1 in the third; and either a 7 or 11 instead of a 2 in the fourth. The differential between the Wildcats’ path and what would have been the hardest possible path is 22 or 26. For the seven fortunate teams listed above, the highest differential between its path and the hardest possible path was 18 (Michigan State 2001).

Only two teams have made the Final Four by playing four straight opponents from the bottom half of the 64-team field: North Carolina ’91 and Michigan State ’01. If UK beats K-State on Thursday and Loyola on Saturday, it will be the third.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
This year's tournament is weird with all the upsets. I want to also say 'with all the crap teams advancing' but they are winning against whomever they are matched with - that's all that is asked of them, and I'd be taking the easy road and loving it too if I were in their position. That said, I'm glad UK lost and I'm looking for MICH to kill F$U. I can't cheer for MICH, but I can cheer against the holes. Honestly, other than UF, I don't think I picked any SEC team to advance past the second round; and usually I'm an SEC homer.

===========

My bracket is absolutely trashed this year. Me+Wife+Son each put in $10 for a family pool and I'm dead last, those two are tied. We forced my daughter to do one, but she refused to put in any money because she doesn't care. She picked based on mascots and school colors, and she is absolutely slamming the rest of us.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
giphy.gif

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I won't hold my breath for the "UK Chokes in easy path to F4" article from the Calamari butt-kissing media....

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I just can't resist doing this....

HAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHA - Kentucky lost to a 9 seed with the easiest possible Final Four birth! HAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHA

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I won't hold my breath for the "UK Chokes in easy path to F4" article from the Calamari butt-kissing media....

No, the narrative I heard on radio today was that no one should have expected Kentucky to get very far as this was a weaker than usual squad. In fact, it points to a great coaching job by Calipari to get them to this point in the competition because they weren't very good.

That's some pretty good spin-doctoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator