Was Chip really never given an offer?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The whole Kelly / Frost caper just smells funny as hell to me - especially after the "no offer by UF" stuff from Kelly. Throw in the chump-change contract CK got from UCLA, and it really gets weird. It feels like a dog and pony show was put on to make it look like we were conducting a serious search for a real heavy hitter. I'm calling total BS. IMHO, It was Mullen all the time and everything else was just window dressing.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
To begin with, nobody was (or should have been) overly surprised when Kelly reneged on his agreement to be the next Gators coach. Since Kelly first became a head coach at Oregon, he has lied to and back-stabbed almost every team he’s entered into agreements with, so this is certainly no outlier. Rather than say he lied, I will say he “changed his mind”, but you can draw your own conclusions. He “changed his mind” after promising to be the Tampa Bay Bucs’ new coach. He “changed his mind” about being the Cleveland Browns’ new coach. He “changed his mind” about being the Buffalo Bills’ new coach. He “changed his mind” about being the Philadelphia Eagles’ new coach. He “changed his mind” about staying the Oregon Ducks’ new coach. One might surmise that he is pathological in this sense.

He “changed his mind” (ahem) to us a lot and reneged on an agreement last Sunday to be the next Gators head coach. We gave him a 1-week window to make it final, providing right of first refusal of any better offer. He used that time to play us and UCLA back and forth to jack up what we already promised him (basically the kitchen sink), and the last demand came Thursday morning and apparently SS smelled a rat or otherwise had had enough, and told him we were through being pushed for demands. He had to take it or leave it. That’s when ESPN ran the story that we had moved on. We likely would have still accepted Kelly’s signature if it was before the deadline, but he signed with UCLA, making that hypothetical decision moot.
http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/pds-postulations-thoughts-on-the-mullen-hire/

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The whole Kelly / Frost caper just smells funny as hell to me - especially after the "no offer by UF" stuff from Kelly. Throw in the chump-change contract CK got from UCLA,
Hey, Stricklin, UCLA says they will pay me 9.5 mil a year for 8 years. Will you match it?

No. (click)

Oops.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can't imagine he turned down 6 years $36 million with no state taxes for 4 years $23 million
9b4c5146e6cd2feeaa2067cb08cd0987076663267b84f939f51e29e2b966bdd4.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I bet they went to have a conversation, the results of that meant that no offer was desirable. I thought that at the time.
Yeah, but you aren't particularly smart.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
He's not going to say "Yeah they offered but I want to coach in the pac 12 so I screwed with em for a week, did you guys see that thread on GatorChatter? I'm awesome!"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's lying his ass off.
Well, he is and he isn't. Likely he was given a Memorandum of Understanding or an Agreement to Contract or something like that. I'm sure it didn't say "Offer" and wasn't the full 500 pages of a the final contract, but dudes don't sign that until they get in town often.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Just because you interview a candidate doesn’t mean you offer them the job and the recognition it wasn’t a fit could easily have been clear to both sides.

We are all speculating and will never know.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just because you interview a candidate doesn’t mean you offer them the job.
That is obviously the way it works with most jobs, but isnt the way it works with college football coaches. We were working on the written contract with him the whole week, negoatiating terms, changes, draft after draft. We took the Pres and the lawyers bc we thought it was done. If Mulkins does better at UF maybe we are happy longterm but Chip definitely seems like a flake either way.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't imagine he turned down 6 years $36 million with no state taxes for 4 years $23 million

Remember what ever he makes is offset by the contract he signed with the 49ers to make it $6 a year. So he was getting $6 mill regardless of where he was going.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
after watching the interview with Holly, I'm glad he's not going to be the coach at UF.

I think he'll win some games, and maybe the PAC-12, but the dude is a snowflake, and trouble waiting to happen.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
but Chip definitely seems like a flake either way.

I know that once you lose your main target like we did with Kelly, its natural for everyone to say WDWHA but for real, the guy didnt want anything to do with us and after listening to his fake excitement that he is at UCLA I am convinced the guy is a flake and I am glad he isnt here. I do wish we would have got Frost though. Its likely the same story with him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Remember what ever he makes is offset by the contract he signed with the 49ers to make it $6 a year. So he was getting $6 mill regardless of where he was going.
Exactly why I expected him to get 7-8. Tinerc reportededly offered 8 to Gundy.

I think Chip was lying trying get a huge salary from us, lying about how much UCLA was offering and got caught when Stricklin finally said no.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly why I expected him to get 7-8. Tinerc reportededly offered 8 to Gundy.

I think Chip was lying trying get a huge salary from us, lying about how much UCLA was offering and got caught when Stricklin finally said no.

According to Chip he was never given an offer..... ;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know that once you lose your main target like we did with Kelly, its natural for everyone to say WDWHA but for real, the guy didnt want anything to do with us and after listening to his fake excitement that he is at UCLA I am convinced the guy is a flake and I am glad he isnt here. I do wish we would have got Frost though. Its likely the same story with him.
Im not an option guy as you know and I really didnt want him before, but he is no doubt a splash hire who would have changed the program at least until he left in 11 months. i understand why so many thought he was a dream coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator