We knew it was over when...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Our situation is kind of like listening to a financial advisor. He keeps telling you that you're in the game for the long haul and you need to ride out the short term ups and downs. The thing is you keep waiting, pay exorbitant fees, and never get rich.
6552d1855f72b2534fee315961614fa87ea35d0c4b6f7580f92b5f367a333ac8.jpg

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
00404_3MV0Ch64RyF_600x450.jpg

I knew it was over the first time Hee Haw smiled!
He then backs it up with back-to-back losses to the Noles.
If he pulls off the trifecta this year at home, it's time to pull the plug on Butters.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Im not finding another team. Sas you arent right often but youre right here. I should turn it off for a few years.

Wait this could be the moment I knew for sure. When it became so apparent SD quit complaining about every little move made in the program.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was firmly done with Chump after he lost to Vandy at homecoming. I wanted him publicly executed after the loss to Southern Georgia School for the Deaf and Blind.
It obviously isn't over for Mac yet but he lost my vote of confidence after his piss-poor recruiting class last year followed with an offense that was even worse than the prior year. Add in the inability to compete with top teams and I am ready to move in a different direction.
Now...I simply await the inevitable.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I know I wont be able to persuade people who have it out for Mcelwain but all I can give you is facts.
Fact: Mac took over for one of the worst if not the worst headcoaches/tenures in all of gator footabll history.
Fact: Muschamp lost to Georgia Southern, Mac has not
Fact: Muschamp never went to an SEC championship game in 4 years. Mac has in both of his first two.
Fact: Muschamp had one win against Georgia. Mac already has two.
Fact: Mac seems to have built a solid offense with a capable QB. *ALTHOUGH this is not yet proven it seems for the first time since Meyer we can be pretty good offensively. We have playmakers all of which were mostly recruited by Mac.
Fact: Mac has pushed hard for upgraded facilities and has made great progress. i.e. indoor Football practice field. (hey we dont have to cancel practice due to the rain anymore!), the soon-coming all football facility; and new dorms. Keep in my mind, that neither Meyer nor Muschamp came even close to the facility upgrades mac has already pushed for so far in his young tenure.
Fact: Macs recruiting classes three years in a row have gotten better and better (rankings wise). Keep in mind that mac is also a great evaluator i.e. Jawaan taylor and perine and callaway.
Fact: Mac deserves our support out of respect and gator pride as fans. As gators, were supposed to pick our fellow gators up and not try to bring them down. Some people, seem to **** on mac every chance he gets HOPING he fails. I can't stand it when people attack Mac for everything and can never recognize the improvement we've had but are quick to bring up negative retorts.

Has it been perfect so far? Of course not, but alot of people would tell you that where we are now is a hell of alot bettter than where Muschamp left us. That is progress and remember this is and always was going to be a multi-year re-build. Mac is taking us in the right direction and seems like a hard-working, family-oriented, all around upright head coach very representative of Gainesville itself. Some people better be careful what they wish for because treating people with such disrespect could make them leave and if Mac turns out to be great which I predict he will, we will be totally screwed.

TL;DR--Stop being petty. Gators help gators.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Fact: Mac took over for one of the worst if not the worst headcoaches/tenures in all of gator footabll history.

The above is an opinion. Another UF coach took over the program coming off of probation with some of the severest total scholarship limitations meaning he was working with fewer recruited players than anyone else on the schedule. He was then immediately slapped with another probation due to an issue before he was hired. The community and university also struggled with a terrible crime spree early in his tenure. Some might be of the opinion that that situation was far worse than what McElwain took over.

The above is a fact this time. It is also a fact that McElwain has not coached against Georgia Southern at UF.

Fact: Muschamp never went to an SEC championship game in 4 years. Mac has in both of his first two.

The above is again a fact and probably the most relevant one you have listed. Clearly the issue of the competition level in the East is something each of us must use in our evaluation of McElwain.

The above is another fact. Muschamp being a UGa grad meant he really needed to beat UGa while coacing UF. Of course McElwain is an ex-UAL coach and really needs to beat UAL meaning he really needs to beat UAL while coaching UF. So rather than Muschamp's one win against another SEC team who might have some of his loyalty, McElwain has zero.

Fact: Mac seems to have built a solid offense with a capable QB. *ALTHOUGH this is not yet proven it seems for the first time since Meyer we can be pretty good offensively. We have playmakers all of which were mostly recruited by Mac.

The word "seems" is incompatable with the word fact. I agree with your statement, that some of the pieces seem to be there for a good offense. I have not seen any capable QB play yet. Whether or not Allen-DelRio-Franks-Trask provide capable QB play is an open question. We shall see about this, but if UF has a credible offense in the 2017 season will be the story.

Fact: Mac has pushed hard for upgraded facilities and has made great progress. i.e. indoor Football practice field. (hey we dont have to cancel practice due to the rain anymore!), the soon-coming all football facility; and new dorms. Keep in my mind, that neither Meyer nor Muschamp came even close to the facility upgrades mac has already pushed for so far in his young tenure.

All this worry about facilities is just another way of saying McElwain is not a good enough coach to win unless he gets better players than the other guys. UF's facilities are just an excuse not a reason for the deficiencies in UF football in recent seasons.

Fact: Macs recruiting classes three years in a row have gotten better and better (rankings wise). Keep in mind that mac is also a great evaluator i.e. Jawaan taylor and perine and callaway.

UF's recruiting ranking after the transition year have been pretty much the same. So while technically true from 12 to 11 is a better ranking, it is not a trend I would stake a lot on. I do agree this staff has hit on some under rated players. Still, the staff has to contribute some coaching and show they can win without better players than the other guys at every position.

Fact: Mac deserves our support out of respect and gator pride as fans. As gators, were supposed to pick our fellow gators up and not try to bring them down. Some people, seem to **** on mac every chance he gets HOPING he fails. I can't stand it when people attack Mac for everything and can never recognize the improvement we've had but are quick to bring up negative retorts.

This is of course another opinion. Maybe a better way to say this is, "Fact: McElwain is UF coach for the 2017 season." Barring something really odd McElwain is the only coach UF will this season. UF fans should hope the staff and the team have an excellent season. There is nothing to be gained by rooting against UF as we fans have little to no effect on what happens on the field.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He lost me when he said Mac seems to have built a capable offense. :facepalm:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He lost me when he said Mac seems to have built a capable offense. :facepalm:
Thry are capable, just not with the likes of LDR.
you're welcome :proud:

or nuss for that matter :headslap:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know I wont be able to persuade people who have it out for Mcelwain but all I can give you is facts.

Has it been perfect so far? Of course not, but alot of people would tell you that where we are now is a hell of alot bettter than where Muschamp left us. That is progress and remember this is and always was going to be a multi-year re-build. Mac is taking us in the right direction and seems like a hard-working, family-oriented, all around upright head coach very representative of Gainesville itself. Some people better be careful what they wish for because treating people with such disrespect could make them leave and if Mac turns out to be great which I predict he will, we will be totally screwed.

TL;DR--Stop being petty. Gators help gators.

Fact: According to Rivals Muschamp had 3 top 10 recruiting class (2 in the top 5) while Mac barley had 1 in the top 10. Yes Muschamp's classes were imbalanced, but as evidenced by the last few NFL drafts, he brought in some talent.
Fact: Mac failed to recruit LB's and DT's in his first two classes. There is a depth issue this year for that reason.
Fact: Mac choked away our first loss to the vols in over a decade and still hasn't beaten FSU.
Fact: In just two seasons, UF has been the victim of 7 blowout losses
Fact: It took overtime for Mac to beat FAU. That's not much better than losing to Georgia Southern.
Fact: Mac hired and retained Nord.
Fact: The offense was statistically worse in 2016 than 2015

Mac still has a lot to prove. Right now he is matching all of his accomplishments with disappointments. There isn't any improvement if the good never out-weighs the bad. We'll see if he can finally make some progress this year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I never dog anyone just for being positive about Gator coaches etc. but will certainly point out where I think they are wrong and tell how I feel about the coach at the time.

"Fact: Muschamp never went to an SEC championship game in 4 years. Mac has in both of his first two."
"Fact: Muschamp had one win against Georgia. Mac already has two."

OK but Muschamp went 7-1 in the SEC one year just like Mac. The SEC East was really bad in 2015 and 2016 with the 2nd place team going 5-3 and 4-4 in SEC games. In fact only Tenn and Georgia even had a winning SEC record over those 2 years besides Florida and they were barely over .500 at 9-7 each over those 2 seasons. The second place SEC East team when Muschamp was coaching was either 7-1 or 6-2 in SEC play. The situations aren't comparable at all with the East being so down now.

OK but Muschamp faced a Georgia team that went an impressive 25-7 in regular season SEC play those 4 years and made 2 SECCG. Mac has faced a Georgia team that has went a pedestrian 9-7 in regular season SEC play over 2 years.

"Fact: Mac seems to have built a solid offense with a capable QB. *ALTHOUGH this is not yet proven it seems for the first time since Meyer we can be pretty good offensively. We have playmakers all of which were mostly recruited by Mac."

It seems? Well it hasn't happened yet and if you haven't noticed Mac is putting the welcome mat out for a grad transfer to come here. He sure doesn't seem confident in the QB situation despite the public things they have to say. Heck he even said camp was plenty enough time for a new QB to win the starting job.

"Fact: Macs recruiting classes three years in a row have gotten better and better (rankings wise). Keep in mind that mac is also a great evaluator i.e. Jawaan taylor and perine and callaway."

I will say this class was finally not poor for a FL class but it isn't over yet as we still have 3 blue chippers that won't qualify if they don't get high enough test scores this week. If we were to lose 2 of them this class is as bad as last year's class.
As far as Taylor and Callaway they do show a lot of promise but they are not all SEC type players yet. Heck Bama had a true freshman that actually shut down almost all the top pass rushers he went against. Taylor got beat on multiple occasions in the Bama and FSU games going against the best pass rushers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.