Weber vs Treager

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So I’ve had my Weber Genesis for 13 years now and I think it’s on its last leg. I had been wanting to eventually get a Green Egg to compliment it but wasn’t planning on having to replace my Weber. I love the Weber gas grills but have heard great things about Treager and am struggling to decide. I feel the Treager may give me more versatility but is it as good for everyday grilling as well?

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
IMO, no.

Where it shines is being stable and trustworthy for long cooks.

Full disclosure, I love the Weber.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Just bought a Traeger this past summer and all I do is grill on it. Absolutely love it. I have smoked ribs and a butt or two, and it works great, but mostly I grill chicken, hamburgers, fish, even started grilling bacon. I have no complaints.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I brought this question forward 3 years ago. I bought a Traeger and also have a 3 burner Weber. Love them both and you turned me onto BBQ w/ Aaron Franklin.

you can’t go wrong with a Traeger. Honestly if I was buying today I might go with Rec Teq.

recteq

Here was my thread about a Traeger.
Traeger

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Looking to buy my first grill next year (yes, man card still being withheld). Likely to only do basic grilling. Open to recommendations on which to buy, and if there is a class or model to consider.

It should be noted, I don't do ANY maintenance on things. At most, I live in PA and would throw a cover over it in the winter months, and scrape the burnt food off once in awhile...maybe.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I brought this question forward 3 years ago. I bought a Traeger and also have a 3 burner Weber. Love them both and you turned me onto BBQ w/ Aaron Franklin.

you can’t go wrong with a Traeger. Honestly if I was buying today I might go with Rec Teq.

recteq

Here was my thread about a Traeger.
Traeger

I knew this was a familiar topic...and knew you had the Treager. Was really curious if it could be a useful everyday grill or more of a compliment.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I knew this was a familiar topic...and knew you had the Treager. Was really curious if it could be a useful everyday grill or more of a compliment.
It can be but I don’t use it as an everyday grill. To really sear things like steaks you really have to crank it up to high and then you’re blazing through your pellets. I use it to smoke pork and chicken fish. I’ve done a couple turkeys which have been wonderful. I’ve big ribeye roasts and prime ribs which are so flavorful. I still use the Weber for quick items like my kid said the other day he wanted a cheese burger for lunch.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It can be but I don’t use it as an everyday grill. To really sear things like steaks you really have to crank it up to high and then you’re blazing through your pellets. I use it to smoke pork and chicken fish. I’ve done a couple turkeys which have been wonderful. I’ve big ribeye roasts and prime ribs which are so flavorful. I still use the Weber for quick items like my kid said the other day he wanted a cheese burger for lunch.

That’s what I assumed but wanted to confirm...think I’ll just have to replace the Weber and wait patiently for that upgraded smoker for Father’s Day or my 40th next year that will never come

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you want a good sear on a steak you’re better off using a cast iron skillet anyway.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Looking to buy my first grill next year (yes, man card still being withheld). Likely to only do basic grilling. Open to recommendations on which to buy, and if there is a class or model to consider.

It should be noted, I don't do ANY maintenance on things. At most, I live in PA and would throw a cover over it in the winter months, and scrape the burnt food off once in awhile...maybe.
I've used a webber kettle charcoal grill for years. Simple. Lasts.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you want a good sear on a steak you’re better off using a cast iron skillet anyway.

I just recently tried on a cast iron (with a lesser quality steak than my typical Filet) and the sear was good but honestly with my Weber grill fired up the sear is fine DMC flavor was much better. But maybe I just need more practice on the cast iron

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

This is what I love abut the Blackstone. Still need a regular grill too.

default_name.jpg

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I’ve hear griddles are the way to go now.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Just picked up a pellet grill and love it, Pork chops, ribs, brisket all done right and don't have to watch it constantly like the weber

Ma in law has a Lowes 99 dollar special grill, It's OK for burgers but have to constantly watch it with steaks

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I've recently looked into this and was going to get either a Traeger or a Camp Chef pellet smoker. Reviewing both led me to lean toward the Camp Chef brand. The only reason I would go with the Traeger is name recognition. Camp Chef sounds a little :tard:

The Camp Chef has side attachments including a propane searbox for those of you missing that aspect of grilling.

Camping Grills, Stoves and Smokers | Camp Chef

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

This is the perfect scenario for a Weber.
And if you want an even higher heat then use real, lump charcoal.
And if you want a perfect sear then use a cast iron pan on the Weber.
They're cheap, efficient, versatile and simple.

But first you gotta decide on gas vs charcoal.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I just recently tried on a cast iron (with a lesser quality steak than my typical Filet) and the sear was good but honestly with my Weber grill fired up the sear is fine DMC flavor was much better. But maybe I just need more practice on the cast iron
I like to get the cast iron white hot for searing or blackening. I use the same propane burner as I do for the turkey fryer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator