Wednesday worsts....vegetable

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What vegetable do you have no use for or despise?

Cauliflower - not sure why but I won’t buy it or even try it.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
English Peas. Fuching disgusting

I can barely tolerate them if they are in a casserole or something

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn’t agree more that cauliflower is absolutely dreadful. Perhaps the only thing worse is creamed cauliflower. Beets are also disgusting .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
English Peas. Fuching disgusting

I can barely tolerate them if they are in a casserole or something

I feel like this changes things for us.

As MJM said, most vegetables are significantly better when raw. I eat a lot of raw carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts and English peas in salads(tonight in fact). All are much better uncooked.

I’ll second the call for cauliflower. It’s not very good. Also, Lima Beans? Seriously terrible.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like this changes things for us.

As MJM said, most vegetables are significantly better when raw. I eat a lot of raw carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts and English peas in salads(tonight in fact). All are much better uncooked.

I’ll second the call for cauliflower. It’s not very good. Also, Lima Beans? Seriously terrible.

I've really tried to overcome the English peas and have eaten them every possible way imaginable. I just cant get there. Like I said, I can tolerate them if they are mixed with the dish. I will agree that raw in a salad is probably the "best".

I think I have found a way to enjoy every other vegetable. For cauliflower, we cut them into bite size pieces, toss with some olive olive and nice course salt and then roast them. Almost turns out like a french fry. Almost. Not my favorite... or even in the top 100.... but eatable.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I've really tried to overcome the English peas and have eaten them every possible way imaginable. I just cant get there. Like I said, I can tolerate them if they are mixed with the dish. I will agree that raw in a salad is probably the "best".

I think I have found a way to enjoy every other vegetable. For cauliflower, we cut them into bite size pieces, toss with some olive olive and nice course salt and then roast them. Almost turns out like a french fry. Almost. Not my favorite... or even in the top 100.... but eatable.

Yeah, you're probably right in your approach. Cauliflower may be the one vegetable that has to be cooked. Otherwise it's just broccoli's weird cousin in one of those serving trays at functions where people run out of carrots and have nothing else. Any time something is almost always eaten by being drenched in cheese or a gallon of ranch dressing, it's probably worth asking if said food should be consumed at all.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Cauliflower may be the one vegetable that has to be cooked

I shifted to putting buffalo wing sauce on them and baking them in the oven at 425 for 20-30 minutes.
crispy and tasty.
kind of the same for brussel sprouts - our King Soopers (Krogers) sells them pre-sliced and pre-seasoned. Never was a fan AT ALL of them until I baked them in the oven. They get really crispy and tasty as well.
I went the same route with asparagus - baked until crispy with olive oil and spices.
And they make pee time really interesting.

Back to the OP -
Boiled okra - really bad (gagging) experience when I was a kid in Gainesville. My baby sitter was an old school southern lady.
The okra, when boiled, is kind of like slime contained in leather, a.k.a. Satan's testicles.
Can't even smell them without triggering the old:
tumblr_n7rqaizTcA1smcbm7o1_500.gif

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I shifted to putting buffalo wing sauce on them and baking them in the oven at 425 for 20-30 minutes.
crispy and tasty.
kind of the same for brussel sprouts - our King Soopers (Krogers) sells them pre-sliced and pre-seasoned. Never was a fan AT ALL of them until I baked them in the oven. They get really crispy and tasty as well.
I went the same route with asparagus - baked until crispy with olive oil and spices.
And they make pee time really interesting.

Back to the OP -
Boiled okra - really bad (gagging) experience when I was a kid in Gainesville. My baby sitter was an old school southern lady.
The okra, when boiled, is kind of like slime contained in leather, a.k.a. Satan's testicles.

There really is no call for boiling okra. Especially when there's a far better way of preparing it that is incredible and everyone loves. So it's about choices, almost like drinking beer warm instead of cold. Not sure why anyone would ever do it. I also definitely get the babysitter trauma part. I went to a babysitter once when I was maybe 3-4, that forced me to drink carrot juice. I was an obstinate kid and vowed to never return(I didn't). She was a friend of the family so it was a little awkward, but to this day, I can recall that moment and have never had a drop of carrot juice again. It repulses me.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I'm also not a big fan of the 'squishy' veggies e.g. squash (which is one letter away from squish), zucchini, eggplant, etc.
Not really into these alternative vegetables that are designed to dissuade folks like me from consuming them.
They really need a new marketing direction.

Cranberry for example has been successful in partnering with other fruits to expand their market share.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm also not a big fan of the 'squishy' veggies e.g. squash (which is one letter away from squish), zucchini, eggplant, etc.

Cranberry for example has been successful in partnering with other fruits to expand their market share.

Zucchini is good sliced razor thin and flash fried with red pepper flakes and isn't terrible in good hibachi(which really doesn't exist anymore).

Pretty sure the native Americans introduced the pilgrims to squash as revenge for the blankets thing and general demeanor of the intruders. Basically like, "oh, what's good here?...oh let's see...umm, oh yeah this yellow stuff...you can grow it anywhere there's dirt...try it.."

Cranberries know their role(s). Fall, occasional trail mix, juice for UTIs and toolbag club-goers. That's it. That's your world. Fruits like kiwi and pomegranate could take a lesson.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
In an effort to reverse the insanity and disgust of veggie burgers, the only veggies I eat are made out of meat.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Back to the OP -

Boiling okra is criminal! I love okra, especially pickled.

My mom used to buy asparagus in a can. I thought it was supposed to be slimy and squishy. I now grow fresh okra and eat it raw while mowing.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Boiling okra is criminal! I love okra, especially pickled.

My mom used to buy asparagus in a can. I thought it was supposed to be slimy and squishy. I now grow fresh okra and eat it raw while mowing.
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator