Wednesday worsts....vegetable

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like most greens, but I can’t stand cooked kale. I like it raw in a salad, but there’s something about the taste when cooked that’s disgusting to me. Best advice I heard, here on GCMB I think, was to cook it with olive oil so that it slides more easily off the plate and into the garbage.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So our favorite eye talian SoFla hates
Tomatoes ? What the hell is going on here ?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Okra and brussels sprouts.

Alex.

giphy.gif

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Couldn’t agree more that cauliflower is absolutely dreadful. Perhaps the only thing worse is creamed cauliflower.

Cauliflower dipped in onion ring batter and deep fried is quite tasty actually. Even my kids like it. Oven roasting isn't too bad but it is hard to get it right.

i don't think even deep-frying will help Brussel sprouts.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So our favorite eye talian SoFla hates
Tomatoes ? What the hell is going on here ?

For such a great fruit/vegetable when cooked, it’s not really very good raw, imo. I’m always amazed at the slices of raw tomato I see in the Dinner thread. It’s obviously pretty popular, I just never ate it that way. Definitely wouldn’t be my worst, but not my favorite either. Maybe my English side, which would certainly explain the peas.

This is why I come here. I may as well be laying one of those small couches figuring it all out.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Collards have tobe cooked right. And by right, I mean hard boiled for 10 minutes, then fried in an iron skillet with bacon grease, fat back, and a little sugar sprinkled in.

Can seriously eat 2 entire plates of just collards.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
All I got to say is y'all aint Southern if you don't eat your vegetables. All of 'em. Even the okra. Brusselsprouts and Cauliflower are Yankee vegetables so they don't count. But squash, turnip greens and collards? Bless your hearts. Look, put bacon grease, salt, pepper sauce and sugar in them until you can't taste 'em if you have to, but eat your vegetables.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Brussel sprouts, cut in half, tossed in oil and a course salt, roasted at high temp for about 30 minutes.... money

Fresh picked okra, immediately sliced, tossed in corn meal, thrown into a skillet with hot oil... also money. But they have to be eaten immediately. They are trash if they cool off even the slightest.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Brussel sprouts, cut in half, tossed in oil and a course salt, roasted at high temp for about 30 minutes.... money

Fresh picked okra, immediately sliced, tossed in corn meal, thrown into a skillet with hot oil... also money. But they have to be eaten immediately. They are trash if they cool off even the slightest.

Sprouts can also be sautéed in a high temp with olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. The key is caramelization. Do that and they're great. My mother used to boil them and I can't tell you how awful they are that way. No idea why she went that direction, but it sucked, and caused me to write them off for 20+ years.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I used to make my own sprouts, made sandwiches with them to pack for lunch when I was surveying back in the 70's. Very economical and not too bad with a slice of good cheddar cheese. When I got married my wife made fun of me for eating sprout sandwiches so I quit. After being hitched for 42 years I don't much care what she thinks anymore. :grin:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sprouts can also be sautéed in a high temp with olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. The key is caramelization. Do that and they're great. My mother used to boil them and I can't tell you how awful they are that way. No idea why she went that direction, but it sucked, and caused me to write them off for 20+ years.
My mother tortured me the same way with the boiled Brussels sprouts. I really believe she wouldn’t take them up until they were bitter enough to turn your mouth inside out. I wouldn’t eat them for a long time until I tried them sautéed and realized they weren’t simply grown for mother’s to poison their kids.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Okra is good in gumbo. That’s it.
Collards, wilted in bacon grease and simmered with smoked turkey wings and onion
Cauliflower, riced and hidden in stuff so you can’t taste it :)
Brussel sprouts. Lots of butter, bacon and parmesan to cover the nasty taste

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I used to make my own sprouts, made sandwiches with them to pack for lunch when I was surveying back in the 70's. Very economical and not too bad with a slice of good cheddar cheese. When I got married my wife made fun of me for eating sprout sandwiches so I quit. After being hitched for 42 years I don't much care what she thinks anymore. :grin:

I have never heard of a brussel sprout sandwich :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
All I got to say is y'all aint Southern if you don't eat your vegetables. All of 'em. Even the okra. Brusselsprouts and Cauliflower are Yankee vegetables so they don't count. But squash, turnip greens and collards? Bless your hearts. Look, put bacon grease, salt, pepper sauce and sugar in them until you can't taste 'em if you have to, but eat your vegetables.

ok, mom. But I’ll only eat the rutabaga if you put enough sugar on them and they are tender.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We have a local southern food restaurant in KY that is amazing. During the summer they specialize in fresh local corn. My favorite is the okra, corn and tomatoes sautéed with onion. I try to mimic it in the cast iron skillet with butter. Sometimes I’ll stuff it in a tomato with rice and cook it with mozzarella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator