Week 1 Coaches on the Hot Seat

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There's still some fans that support him. There was an fsu fan at my fantasy football draft yesterday. He was claiming that he was still excited for the season and nothing wrong with losing to a solid Boise team. The same kind of mentality that kept muschamp employed here for 4 years.

I hate using cliches and trendy words, but if anyone heard Kanell on First Team this morning, the only word to describe it is “triggered”. Literally yelling at an fsu caller who claimed to be a 20 year ticket holder who drives 4 hours to get to Tally. Just kept speaking over the guy and ranting, “what do you want to do?!” again and again. When the guy simply starts to say “If they lose to LaMonroe”, he interjects again with yelling “has it happened yet...has it happened yet?!” repeatedly. Then after the caller is gone, rants about how fans drive him crazy and he can’t stand the negative, etc.

It was gold.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I hate using cliches and trendy words, but if anyone heard Kanell on First Team this morning, the only word to describe it is “triggered”. Literally yelling at an fsu caller who claimed to be a 20 year ticket holder who drives 4 hours to get to Tally. Just kept speaking over the guy and ranting, “what do you want to do?!” again and again. When the guy simply starts to say “If they lose to LaMonroe”, he interjects again with yelling “has it happened yet...has it happened yet?!” repeatedly. Then after the caller is gone, rants about how fans drive him crazy and he can’t stand the negative, etc.

It was gold.

A few thoughts come to mind...

danny kannel acting like a d bag? Water is wet?

dk found a new employer? That actually IS a surprise.

Is dk on f$u’s payroll? Because if he had half a brain (insert f$u education joke here), he’d be pissed about the performance on the field, not the disgruntled fans.

Love hearing about the nole$ in-fighting. I hope we need at LEAST a 10 year supply of popcorn.

clowns gonna clown.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Not on the hot seat ... yet ... but can't believe nobody is giving Mack Brown a lot of heat for his ridiculously stupendous game management at the end of the USC game. What a moron. 4 and 8 with less than 15 seconds on the clock at midfield and he has his qb take a knee????

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Not on the hot seat ... yet ... but can't believe nobody is giving Mack Brown a lot of heat for his ridiculously stupendous game management at the end of the USC game. What a moron. 4 and 8 with less than 15 seconds on the clock at midfield and he has his qb take a knee????
He was confused!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

As Frozen said, I think there was definite confusion. But I think it was on the part of Howell, the Freshman.

I think the emotions and excitement of the moment got to him, which is understandable considering it was his first game. Kirk Cousins did that back in ‘16. Only he was supposed to spike it to kill the clock. Took a knee by mistake at the 5 and the half came to an end instead of having a chance to score.

I think Brown had told him to run it down and call TO. Probably should’ve just done it himself, so there’s that blame I guess.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
As Frozen said, I think there was definite confusion. But I think it was on the part of Howell, the Freshman.

I think the emotions and excitement of the moment got to him, which is understandable considering it was his first game. Kirk Cousins did that back in ‘16. Only he was supposed to spike it to kill the clock. Took a knee by mistake at the 5 and the half came to an end instead of having a chance to score.

I think Brown had told him to run it down and call TO. Probably should’ve just done it himself, so there’s that blame I guess.

I just dont get that. The whole coaching staff watched him line up the offensive and go through the progressions to run a play on time. It wasn't them just standing around like you would do if you are calling a timeout. He is a freshman qb ... you manage that ... and they didnt. It looked like the play was called from the sideline too. Maybe they all thought it was 3rd down ... which is just as bad.

Glad it happened though ... it put the icing on the Bentley-USC cake with the fumble recovery td as time expires.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I just dont get that. The whole coaching staff watched him line up the offensive and go through the progressions to run a play on time. It wasn't them just standing around like you would do if you are calling a timeout. He is a freshman qb ... you manage that ... and they didnt. It looked like the play was called from the sideline too. Maybe they all thought it was 3rd down ... which is just as bad.

Glad it happened though ... it put the icing on the Bentley-USC cake with the fumble recovery td as time expires.

I definitely agree that it was mismanaged. I just don't think it was the designed play. Maybe I'm wrong, because I'm not sure what was going on. Should've run the play clock down to :01, call a timeout and then either punt, or at least run a stretch play to kill all or most of the clock(I'd punt personally). But yeah, the ending was great.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Without question the most inane clock management in the history of the game (sans Pete Caroll in the super bowl). I laughed my a$$ off but I did not bring it up here b/c no one cares about game management obvious mistakes. Their thought is it did not come back to haunt them so it does not matter. Well it did matter b/c if you punt, they have 5 seconds an 80 yards to go. USCe had 10 seconds and were close enough to throw one pass into the endzone. Could have been disastrous. Thanx for bringing it up. To me it was a fireable decision, but since it was Game 1 back for and old geezer who sux, he is safe.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Without question the most inane clock management in the history of the game (sans Pete Caroll in the super bowl). I laughed my a$$ off but I did not bring it up here b/c no one cares about game management obvious mistakes. Their thought is it did not come back to haunt them so it does not matter. Well it did matter b/c if you punt, they have 5 seconds an 80 yards to go. USCe had 10 seconds and were close enough to throw one pass into the endzone. Could have been disastrous. Thanx for bringing it up. To me it was a fireable decision, but since it was Game 1 back for and old geezer who sux, he is safe.

My son and I laughed so hard during the last few minutes of that game. We live in Charleston, SC, around a bunch of moron USC fans, so we definitely had much delight in watching them fail miserably. The last drive by USC where Bentley overthrew a wide open WR, then overthrew the fade route in the corner and then finally threw that horrible interception to what we thought ended the game had us rolling. I almost felt sorry for the guy.

But then Mack Brown and Co said hold my beer and made the studid take a knee on 4th down call and actually gave Bentley a chance to redeem himself. What does he do ... flops around in the backfield and fumbles to allow a in your face td fumble recovery as time expires. It was the highlight of the day. Well ... except UTooth losing to Ga St.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator