Week 1 Depth Chart Released

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
If Harris hasn't clearly beaten out Washington by now, it means he isn't very good.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm kinda thrown off by this too. I guess he's going to be moved around so much he doesn't have a permanent home.

Why is it confusing? You want a 260 pound DT to start in the SEC? Sure, he's going to play a lot but he's not ahead of the 4 guys in front of him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Marcell should have hit the weight room, put on 10-15 pounds and moved to LB. Apparently the coaches even talked to him about it.

He definitely plays slow. Sometimes that's mental.

I dont think he will be on the field much, wants some of the newcomers get used to the game. His choice.

I don't understand his aversion to playing linebacker. He is a big hitter.

He would make a nice dime backer/ middle linebacker on passing downs but Maye has been playing that.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why is it confusing? You want a 260 pound DT to start in the SEC? Sure, he's going to play a lot but he's not ahead of the 4 guys in front of him.
I was thinking he would start at de

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm kinda thrown off by this too. I guess he's going to be moved around so much he doesn't have a permanent home.

Probably - Mac said he would be moving back and forth a lot after one of the scrimmages I think it was.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I just looked at the defense on paper for the first time....we're gonna need to score a lot of points in some games if we keep this depth chart.:lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Duke Dawson is a starting CB & Nickel?
That is weird. I guess in the nickel Duke moves inside and Putu plays the field corner? I dunno. So ony only guy is playing out of position?

Last edited:

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I just looked at the defense on paper for the first time....we're gonna need to score a lot of points in some games if we keep this depth chart.:lol:

i do believe the cream will rise to the top, but it needs to rise fast. we need to find out who the real gamers are on that depth chart. separate the wheat from the chaff. quickly.

nevertheless, there's not much we can do about an untested and uninspiring Safety crop, a deep, fast, but undersized DL, and a LB corps that is two injuries away from being a house fire.

we got very lucky last year on the injury front on Defense, with Anzalone being the only big loss. can that luck hold up again?

i'm thankful that the staff are making a concerted effort to flesh out the defensive ranks this recruiting cycle.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
i do believe the cream will rise to the top, but it needs to rise fast. we need to find out who the real gamers are on that depth chart. separate the wheat from the chaff. quickly.

nevertheless, there's not much we can do about an untested and uninspiring Safety crop, a deep, fast, but undersized DL, and a LB corps that is two injuries away from being a house fire.

we got very lucky last year on the injury front on Defense, with Anzalone being the only big loss. can that luck hold up again?

i'm thankful that the staff are making a concerted effort to flesh out the defensive ranks this recruiting cycle.
I'm hoping that this depth chart is just fuel for some of the up and comers that aren't listed at 1's. I also see how that could be happening with the offensive line too. Dillard has been bad at both guard and center so there really is nowhere for him to go but the bench allowing Jordan to take over at center and Taylor to take RT....Although in the long run I'd rather see Taylor at guard and Ivey at RT.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think if Ivey were even close to being ready, he'd be at RT, given that he is viewed as the guy with the highest upside. The fact that most say Big Fred is struggling at RT and a true freshman is pushing for time tells you that those who say Ivie isnt close to being ready to move outside. Thats not a terrible thing bc hes a road grader at guard.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think if Ivey were even close to being ready, he'd be at RT, given that he is viewed as the guy with the highest upside. The fact that most say Big Fred is struggling at RT and a true freshman is pushing for time tells you that those who say Ivie isnt close to being ready to move outside. Thats not a terrible thing bc hes a road grader at guard.
I'm only basing my comment on Ivey playing tackle strictly on physical attributes. He is supposedly our best athlete on the line. I prefer the heavy leverage guys like Taylor at guard because you know as well as everyone that we'll face some 325# monsters lining up at NT/DT when we play the big boys, big sometimes neutralizes big in the middle and tackles typically have to handle a lot of speed rushers on the end creating a lot of off tackle gaps in the run game.
All that being said I haven't seen any of these guys practice so I could be way off in my assumption. I just don't completely trust Summers to figure it all out yet but I'll just wait for the results of his evaluations.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, I get it. I agree that physically Ivey should be able to play guard EDIT meant TACKLE. However all reports are that he still struggles big time in pass pro.

As for Summers, Im not a fan, bc of the recruiting weaknesses, but honestly Mac and Summers or someone did as good as can be expected with three freshmen, a IAA tranfer and a DT on the OL last year. They werent good, no doubt, but it could have been much, much worse. The three freshmen played as well as could be expected for freshmen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator