Welcome transfer 2016 4* 6'5, 309lb OL Jean Delance

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Just FYI. Y'all is not a contraction of "you all." It is a Scotch-Irish carry over of old English where "thou" was singular and "ye" was plural usually emphasized with "all" after the ye. In America, this "ye all" was pronounced "yall" eventually and the correct spelling of the contraction is "y'all." BTW- "y'all" is plural so "all y'all" is an ignorant Texas form of correct Southern dialect. Y'all have a great New Year, ya hear.
My life is better after reading this post.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just FYI. Y'all is not a contraction of "you all." It is a Scotch-Irish carry over of old English where "thou" was singular and "ye" was plural usually emphasized with "all" after the ye. In America, this "ye all" was pronounced "yall" eventually and the correct spelling of the contraction is "y'all." BTW- "y'all" is plural so "all y'all" is an ignorant Texas form of correct Southern dialect. Y'all have a great New Year, ya hear.

Excellent how we can get 'caught & taught' around here. Thanks for chiming in, B52.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, if you're going that route, it's the contraction or "ye aw".

Montgomery claims that “y’all” goes back to the Scots-Irish phrase “ye aw,” and he offers as evidence a letter written in 1737 by an Irish immigrant in New York to a friend back home: “Now I beg of ye aw to come over here.” As I understand Montgomery’s hypothesis, “ye aw” was Americanized into “y’all,” which is indeed a contraction of “you all” but would not have come into being without the influence of the Scots-Irish phrase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.