We're getting better and better

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• A

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • B

Votes: 71 50.0%
  • C

Votes: 60 42.3%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
What team places their backup QB in the game just to gauge his mettle and especially when it’s not needed? Please name one.
Alabama played their 3rd string guy almost the entire 4th quarter yesterday. He was NOT needed. Why did they do this?

leogator

May 5, 2018
Not really. That’s what practice is for and that mop up time at the end of the game. We have to trust DM knows what he’s doing. His record with QBs indicates he does. We need a new QB, but I don’t think he’s on campus. That means we are a few years away.
We definitely need a new QB.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
So far this year by the stats, UF is:

Total Offense - tied for #79
Passing - Tied for #84
Rushing - #59
Receiving - ties for #84
Offensive Efficiency - #66

How is UGA in same categories?

Tot Off - 30
Passing - 66
Rushing - 12
Receiving - 66
Off Eff - 4

Tennessee?

Tot Off - 63
Passing - 95
Rushing - 33
Receiving - 95
Off Eff - 97

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Alabama played their 3rd string guy almost the entire 4th quarter yesterday. He was NOT needed. Why did they do this?

They were blowing the other team out. He wasn’t needed, nor was the first or second string. They could have ran that offense against Ole Miss without a QB and still beat them.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

They were blowing the other team out. He wasn’t needed either, nor was the first or second string. They could have ran that offense against Ole Miss without a QB and still beat them.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's just common sense to get your starting QB safely off the field with a big lead. Gives you an opportunity to give the understudies valuable playing experience.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
FSU falling apart may help us more generally, by making Florida's crappiness seem less bad by comparison. Tennessee having a bad year would also be beneficial, so here's hoping.
I just looked at the ‘teers class and I can only see a single player we’d take right now and be overly excited about (the 5 star OL). The rest is meh. Interesting that it’s ranked 8th. Seems very mediocre.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
They were blowing the other team out. He wasn’t needed either, nor was the first or second string. They could have ran that offense against Ole Miss without a QB and still beat them.
Satan did say that he needed to get the back ups and young guys some PT, for the obvious reasons.(Experience,Injuries, etc) Of course their back ups are 4 and 5 star kids which doesn't hurt.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
2017 Season stats for comparison (UF):

Passing - 115
Receiving- 115
Rushing - 98
Tot Off - 124

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I just looked at the ‘teers class and I can only see a single player we’d take right now and be overly excited about (the 5 star OL). The rest is meh. Interesting that it’s ranked 8th. Seems very mediocre.
They loaded up early. They have a ton of 3*s. They're average * rating is 3.55 vs our 3.53

leogator

May 5, 2018
This explains so much, including some of the sillier arguments with @Itraz
I will watch other teams only when I have to, like Miss St. games from 2017 and 2016. ltraz has an unwarranted hate for all things Mullen and an extremely high opinion of himself as a play diagnostician.
You know some of us have a life not centered around watching as much football as one can. Things like family and work and mowing the lawn and cleaning the pool and talking to the neighbors and volunteering at a local charity.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Agree that our D play improved this week. Our end rushers looked more in control and stayed in their gaps with the interior linemen. Our DB talent is not what we are used to and that forces a lot of zone instead of man coverage. That also dictates the blitz schemes which are much more effective when the DBs can lock down receivers.
I thought the coaches did a good job of disguising who was coming with LBs and CBs. To me the biggest concern we have is the OL. If we can't run Frank's is going to get constant pressure. Have we run a draw this season? Had to tell if the offense is improving due to the lack of talent we faced yesterday. But Franks looks better when flushed from the pocket. He stopped forcing throws and is now running to get what he can.
UT will be a good test and the match ups look pretty even. Still worry about the OL

Really like of kicking game and we may just have to win a couple more on special teams.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Maybe he is, maybe he is not. But if Franks gets injured, you want your backup QB to have more game experience than garbage time. That's all!
Franks IS the backup QB, he needs all the experience he can get. He's just holding serve until EJ is ready.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
I am curious as to what happened to the designed QB runs/options we were all expecting, for better or worse? I thought Franks would provide some running threat and ability to help balance out his lackluster passing game. It seems this expected aspect of the offense has not materialized or has been discarded.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Week One

Week Two

Week Three

Can't wait to see what's in store for us this time next week....

:lol:

To be fair, my it’s over post was about much more than product on the field. As one of the nearly 15000 attendees yesterday, I can confirm much of the other issues I addressed are still in tact.

That said, what I was interested to see this game was the energy and intensity level, which had plenty of reasons to be lacking. It wasn’t, and that was encouraging. You can usually tell how a team practiced throughout the week and where there focus is by the performance of special teams. That was a positive and I’ll give he staff credit for keeping the wheels on this week, preparing the players, and not allowing focus to drift toward the game in Knoxville.

Obviously every win is going to be some measure of fight his year, but I did expect us to win, even if by less. The score was just a detail. I reallyjust wanted to see effort, and that was a positive.

Side note, my son got to high five Mullen and several of the players, which he thought was cool. Of all of them, Grimes seemed like a really great kid, and went out of his way to come over to us and say hello. I was impressed with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator