Were Mac's critics right?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I try to stay positive on here and support our coaches till the bitter end but deep down I know Mac will be an analyst for Alabama in 2 years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He will have his players in place and won't be able to win any longer with lousy offenses and a good defense that he didn't recruit.
This season is going to be painful.

Butters better start with the "too many injuries" excuse right now.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Maybe kev can use his psychic medium abilities to give us the winning lotto numbers.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Look at all the elite coaches that came from small school who went on to be successful at major schools. Urban took over a 5-6 Utah team and in year 2 won the conference and went undefeated and won a BCS game at a small school. Nick Saban in 1990 took over a Toledo team that only won 6 games in 89 and in year 1 was Co-Champs in their conference and won 9 games. Chris Peterson took Boise St to another level and went undefeated and won a BCS game in his 1st year and did it again 3 years later. Look at what he's now done at Washington. Point I'm making is these are elite coaches who quickly turned programs around at small schools. All won their conference within a a year after taking over a team that was not very good, all but Peterson but he just won a BCS bowl his 1st year that's it. Anyway Mac had 3 years at CSU and never even won his division. He went 22-16 which imo is a redflag, he never really had a signature win while at CSU which is another redflag. One of the reasons Herman was such of a hot coach is because he had several signature wins. Mac beat a bad Colorado team. He also lost the last game he coached at CSU. I just looked at his time at CSU as unimpressive no signature wins no conference titles 22-16 record it just seemed below average imo compared to other coaches. Then I decided to look into his recruiting and noticed he only recruited 5 players to Alabama which was yet again another red flag and made me wonder if Saban knew something and didn't send him to recruit. With all the redflag I just didn't think he was a good hire at all so I spoke up and here we are and so far 98% of the board seems to think what I thought from day 1, that's he's not the right guy.
Pretty good summary.....If you're not good enough to out game plan the more talented teams you play and you're also not good enough to bring in elite talent then you'll never be better than average.....The bad news for Mac and staff are that average just isn't good enough to win anything but the East while it is down, which if you look at our results against the big boys should tell you that's not an adequate measuring stick......Let alone for one that is a 3 time NC located smack in the middle of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country.

I'll admit that I bought in during the Grier games last season. However the last 5 games of last season left me with that same sickening feeling that I had under Muschamp. The LSU loss last year was somewhat understandable but the complete lack of competitiveness in our last 3 games was unacceptable in my eyes and showed he lacked what it takes to make this team a true top 10 program.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
This season is going to be painful.

Butters better start with the "too many injuries" excuse right now.
If we have the amount of injuries next year that we had this year we're walkon U.
I was at the Georgia Southern game when we were forced to play a walkon LBer #45 it was the only time in 40 years of attending games that I thought I could take the field and help the team and what did chump do he stood at the podium on signing day and said after missing on his top two LB's he couldn't find one fit what he was looking for, good lord.
The really sad part he seems to be a recruiting genius compared to Mac.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe kev can use his psychic medium abilities to give us the winning lotto numbers.
Dont act like you cant look at next year's depth chart and know what is coming. You know damn well what is coming.

Moreover, two years from now you will be making excuses for the next guy bc of how bad Butters left the program.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Dont act like you cant look at next year's depth chart and know what is coming. You know damn well what is coming.

Moreover, two years from now you will be making excuses for the next guy bc of how bad Butters left the program.

Go back and read my posts...something you seem to fail to do. I am on record saying Mac is a dead man walking. Thats not my point with the psychic medium kev. NOBODY knew what Mac would do or if he would be successful or not when he was hired.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Yeah unless the Freshman Qbs are otherworldly, I just don't see how next year is any better than this one and will likely be worse.
I just don't see where one could derive positive vibes about next years performance.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From my perspective, when Fooley finally fired MooseDump, he needed to make a Home Run Hire. I was baffled that Mac would even be in the conversation to be hired at UF. I would never classify Mac as a Home Run Hire. Mac never won the Mountain West Conference.

I wanted to believe in Mac, after all, he had to be better on offense than MooseDump. I was definitely feeling better as we went 6 - 0 with Grier at the helm. However, even with Grier we were not setting the offensive world on fire. Mac lost me the way we played after Grier was suspended. It looked to me like Mac thought making the SEC Championship in Atlanta was enough and the coaches just called in the last three games.

To be as bad as we are on offense and see no coaching changes being made has made me decide after 15 + years as a booster and season ticket holder I am not going to renew my season tickets - unless significant changes are made to the offensive coaching staff.

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You point to Petersen as an example of a coach that has got it going on and superior to Mac. But look at his work at Washington, the first two years he was 8-6 and 7-6 and finished 4th in division. His recruiting, something that so many complain about? (per ESPN) 2014 - rank 45 , 2 4star, 20 3star; 2015 - rank 28, 4 4star, 19 3 star; 2016 - rank 29, 8 4star, 9 3star; This year his class is sitting at 15 while ours is at 17. So applying the same logic Petersen should have been canned by the metrics that you are holding Mac to and pointing that he is just not making it. If anything Petersen is a shining example of why it is not logical to sit here before the end of the second year and proclaim, "ya, Mac's a failure and not going to make it". Again why I think this 3rd year is important, everything is lining up for him to have a breakout year, much like Petersen this year. If he doesnt do it, then there is enough body of evidence, to reasonably start talking about his failure.

Cuuf , coaching is like instant tea or coffee. You stir that sh#t in and it has to be ready RIGHT now.................nobody got time for that recruiting and developing players and trying to get your system in place. Nobody ever believed team chemistry (his players and now your players working together) has any importance. This guy looks funny talks funny and aint got any socks so he sucks...............get on board Cuuf. The bandwagon for the next flavor of the month is about to leave the station without you..............Besides we aint no east coast liberality college like Washington,. WE are the might gatorr, home of SOS and Timmy And Urban and Danny.............we sposed to be kckazzzz from the get go with new coaches.

Look, I'm all for doing a few cheerleader tuck jumps on this topic when it becomes applicable, which is not now. Most of you know I'm just an entertainment seeking health pro. I don't really know most times what the set up of X~O is going to show... just move the sticks with execution and end the series beyond the pylons. Do it alot, and we're shaking and baking. But really, this extrapolation of success (at the level Gator fans want) without bringing in the freight required in this league is just silly conjecture. We get enough of that illogical stuff listening to the liberal media/politics... say it enough, if must be true, then watch in reality how it doesn't translate. So, I went around last night to those recruiting sites (which I hardly ever do because I pretty much depend on BMF, Concrete, Marianna, Law (well I guess Law is the donkey now)... and some others for that temperature check on our future). The recruiting numbers, stars and slots truly do not look good for our team in comparison to those we have to compete with for the hardware and fame. Without the ingredients, you can't make what you want and to extrapolate that into the future as if it will take care of itself... well let's not rehash it. There is something wrong with the STAFF's personality in my opinion. The really top kids aren't buying what the staff is selling. I'm not even talking about getting the lion share of the crop, just a few more (potential world beaters) each year that says we have recruiting "momentum" each subsequent year. I think everybody could live with that. When we can't get JUCOs to bite, our message must be darn well antiquated... I mean is the staff taking the player selfies with a Polaroid SX-70 or something. Our salesmanship in this arena is on display and it doesn't look good. That is on the coaching staff. With all things being equal (development, facility improvements, new culture, etc), it's the recruiting that is the death nail for reasonably timed hope. It appears to be a 2:1 monkey on our back in that each year we are significantly behind our rivals in recruiting is easily 2 years of catching up...if you're also messing up on specific needs to fill, I think we are seeing that ratio go like 4:1. That's my personal concern. At Macs rate, you guys will be throwing dirt on my box before we're raising the Crystal again. The elite Coaches (the It guys) and we've had a few work their magic (SOS, M3) have teams playing above themselves if the roster is weaker and flat out mow you down when they finally get their system/guys in place. I'm not feeling that magic with Mac. I wish I could say different. This abysmal decade in terms of prime time excitement and buying the brand new gear is getting very old. "And yet", the UAA keeps asking for more money for an average product... "pretty kewl". :cool:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I see both sides. Nobody "knew'. They may have used available evidence to guess or after a short time had a gut feeling(maybe gas), but no one "knew". As I've said, we don't recruit well, it will take care of itself. Plus, we know he's gonna get next year, and it is a critical year for him. I don't become too enamored with any coach, I just want the Gators to do well.
Winning it all happens to one team in this conference, and one team in this country. The rats in our rat race, the East, are getting faster and without the players we risk slipping. There is a very real possibility of that happening and if it does, well, it will get even louder and even uglier. So, please don't check out or berate other Gators who deal with things differently than you do. We're all just hostages to other peoples' decisions.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Your taking what I say out of context. Did I know that Butters would fail 100% no no I didn't but everything I point out made me believe that he wouldn't and so far I was right with my assignment.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Your taking what I say out of context. Did I know that Butters would fail 100% no no I didn't but everything I point out made me believe that he wouldn't and so far I was right with my assignment.

No lotto numbers?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
From my perspective, when Fooley finally fired MooseDump, he needed to make a Home Run Hire. I was baffled that Mac would even be in the conversation to be hired at UF. I would never classify Mac as a Home Run Hire. Mac never won the Mountain West Conference.

I wanted to believe in Mac, after all, he had to be better on offense than MooseDump. I was definitely feeling better as we went 6 - 0 with Grier at the helm. However, even with Grier we were not setting the offensive world on fire. Mac lost me the way we played after Grier was suspended. It looked to me like Mac thought making the SEC Championship in Atlanta was enough and the coaches just called in the last three games.

To be as bad as we are on offense and see no coaching changes being made has made me decide after 15 + years as a booster and season ticket holder I am not going to renew my season tickets - unless significant changes are made to the offensive coaching staff.
Can't say I blame you......I live only 2 hours away and have passed up tickets because at least if I'm watching at home I can walk away....Gave away 10 tickets to last years bowl game because in the back of my mind I pretty much knew Harbaugh would kick the sh!t out of Butters....Sad...

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
You point to Petersen as an example of a coach that has got it going on and superior to Mac. But look at his work at Washington, the first two years he was 8-6 and 7-6 and finished 4th in division. His recruiting, something that so many complain about? (per ESPN) 2014 - rank 45 , 2 4star, 20 3star; 2015 - rank 28, 4 4star, 19 3 star; 2016 - rank 29, 8 4star, 9 3star; This year his class is sitting at 15 while ours is at 17. So applying the same logic Petersen should have been canned by the metrics that you are holding Mac to and pointing that he is just not making it. If anything Petersen is a shining example of why it is not logical to sit here before the end of the second year and proclaim, "ya, Mac's a failure and not going to make it". Again why I think this 3rd year is important, everything is lining up for him to have a breakout year, much like Petersen this year. If he doesnt do it, then there is enough body of evidence, to reasonably start talking about his failure.
You failed to understand my point about Peterson the reason you give him more time is because of his track record which Mac did not have. Peterson took Boise to new heights Mac couldn't even win his division. He never had a signature win or anything at CSU. My opinion would be dif if he had beaten a really good team because as we all know when your area a small school in order to beat a big name school you have to out coach the other team. Mac couldn't do that in the MWC that's why he lost to Air Force in his last game he coached.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
No lotto numbers?
Read what I say slowly you seem to not comprehend I..... Did....Not....Know.....He.....Wouldn't......Be....A....Good....Coach.....I.....Simply......Looked.....At....His.....Body.....OF....Work....As....A....HC....And.....As.....A.....Recruiter.....And......Made.....A....And.....This.....Is.....A....Big.....One.....OPINION!!!!!! I hope I said it slow enough for you

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Read what I say slowly you seem to not comprehend I..... Did....Not....Know.....He.....Wouldn't......Be....A....Good....Coach.....I.....Simply......Looked.....At....His.....Body.....OF....Work....As....A....HC....And.....As.....A.....Recruiter.....And......Made.....A....And.....This.....Is.....A....Big.....One.....OPINION!!!!!! I hope I said it slow enough for you

So, still no lotto numbers?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
dots between words and lines is my schtick............so be careful............:monkey:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator