Were Mac's critics right?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Some will say we just need a good QB and then be ridiculed cause we have all these other problems. Those same people will pisss and moan that Mac ran off our QB who would have been superior to anything we have had since. All the pieces are NOT in place to be top ten. Most of you are convinced neither he or his staff can recruit the players we gotta have to make a run at Bama. Most teams cant either and he is relatively new here. He may not be the answer. He may need more than 3 years to get it going. But how many fckn times do you have to say he suck, we suck our program sucks and the end is near? Is it a competition here to see how many ways you can denigrate our HC and our program. No I dont like "mediocrity" or an offense that makes me curse. But I will be fckd if Im gonna whine and curse our staff and program every gdman day just using different words..........(and some use the same comments each day) This rant/post brought to you by......Mike's Hard Lemonade

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Some will say we just need a good QB and then be ridiculed cause we have all these other problems. Those same people will pisss and moan that Mac ran off our QB who would have been superior to anything we have had since. All the pieces are NOT in place to be top ten. Most of you are convinced neither he or his staff can recruit the players we gotta have to make a run at Bama. Most teams cant either and he is relatively new here. He may not be the answer. He may need more than 3 years to get it going. But how many fckn times do you have to say he suck, we suck our program sucks and the end is near? Is it a competition here to see how many ways you can denigrate our HC and our program. No I dont like "mediocrity" or an offense that makes me curse. But I will be fckd if Im gonna whine and curse our staff and program every gdman day just using different words..........(and some use the same comments each day) This rant/post brought to you by......Mike's Hard Lemonade
A - frickin - men

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

If you were able to stay calm during the Dickey years this period should be no problem for you coach.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If you were able to stay calm during the Dickey years this period should be no problem for you coach.
It was like a roller coaster with DD. He had great talent but Vince Dooley ruined it for us and Dickey. We had them 27-10 at half time one year and GOING to the Sugar Bowl with OUR first SEC title..............we end up losing here is a synopsis:
The 1976 Florida Gators were 6–1 and ranked No. 10 coming into the game, and again seeking to secure their first SEC football championship. The Gators held a 27–13 halftime advantage and seemed to have the game in hand until the Bulldogs scored early in the third quarter to cut the lead to 27–20. Then, faced with a fourth-and-one situation at the Gators' own 29-yard-line, coach Doug Dickey decided to go for the first down rather than punt. Gators running back Earl Carr was stopped short by Bulldogs safety Johnny Henderson. Led by quarterback Ray Goff's game management and running back Kevin McLee's 198-yard rushing performance, the Bulldogs seized the momentum and scored three touchdowns on their way to a come-from-behind 41–27 win. After the game, Dickey said: "We were not outplayed. We were outcoached. I made some dumb calls.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It was like a roller coaster with DD. He had great talent but Vince Dooley ruined it for us and Dickey. We had them 27-10 at half time one year and GOING to the Sugar Bowl with OUR first SEC title..............we end up losing here is a synopsis:

The Lindsey Scott play in 1980 is the first heartbreak I can remember watching from the Georgia games. That is the first time I heard about that play calling in the 76 game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No I dont like "mediocrity" or an offense that makes me curse.
Coach 115th isnt mediocre. 115th is big, heaping, steaming pile of shyt. Doing it two years in a row shows it wasnt a fluke.

But, I know, you work in public schools and even Fs are acceptable.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The Lindsey Scott play in 1980 is the first heartbreak I can remember watching from the Georgia games. That is the first time I heard about that play calling in the 76 game.
Lindsey Scott was just the final nail in the coffin and then kept on coming..........

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Coach 115th isnt mediocre.

115th is big, heaping, steaming pile of shyt.

But, I know, you work in public schools and even Fs are acceptable.
What aint acceptable is a never ending drone of of " we are so bad, HOW bad are we? We are so bad that even a decent HS team in Texas would give us a good game" Statistics are for losers.................We used to "out statistic" UGA all day long and LOSE............

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
kx518a9880.jpg

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Mac is just ruining it for me; I'm not the slightest bit excited for the Outback Bowl and knowing how bad of a coach he is...im not really excited for next year

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
This is nonsense. When Mac came here, he was named rookie coach of the year and started making changes to facilities right away and did the things most winning coaches would do. To say you knew right away that he wasnt the right fit is basically flying by the seat of your pants and guessing. You and Rex would have likely been negative towards ANY new coach even if they were pure winners. When you dislike the program its easy to do. Most people who are off the Mac train now have at least given him the opportunity to show why they feel he isnt the one verses someone who is just plain negative about everyone and everything and just grasping at straws to guess he isnt the guy. Props for being the 2nd worst negative guesser on the board.
Look at all the elite coaches that came from small school who went on to be successful at major schools. Urban took over a 5-6 Utah team and in year 2 won the conference and went undefeated and won a BCS game at a small school. Nick Saban in 1990 took over a Toledo team that only won 6 games in 89 and in year 1 was Co-Champs in their conference and won 9 games. Chris Peterson took Boise St to another level and went undefeated and won a BCS game in his 1st year and did it again 3 years later. Look at what he's now done at Washington. Point I'm making is these are elite coaches who quickly turned programs around at small schools. All won their conference within a a year after taking over a team that was not very good, all but Peterson but he just won a BCS bowl his 1st year that's it. Anyway Mac had 3 years at CSU and never even won his division. He went 22-16 which imo is a redflag, he never really had a signature win while at CSU which is another redflag. One of the reasons Herman was such of a hot coach is because he had several signature wins. Mac beat a bad Colorado team. He also lost the last game he coached at CSU. I just looked at his time at CSU as unimpressive no signature wins no conference titles 22-16 record it just seemed below average imo compared to other coaches. Then I decided to look into his recruiting and noticed he only recruited 5 players to Alabama which was yet again another red flag and made me wonder if Saban knew something and didn't send him to recruit. With all the redflag I just didn't think he was a good hire at all so I spoke up and here we are and so far 98% of the board seems to think what I thought from day 1, that's he's not the right guy.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Look at all the elite coaches that came from small school who went on to be successful at major schools. Urban took over a 5-6 Utah team and in year 2 won the conference and went undefeated and won a BCS game at a small school. Nick Saban in 1990 took over a Toledo team that only won 6 games in 89 and in year 1 was Co-Champs in their conference and won 9 games. Chris Peterson took Boise St to another level and went undefeated and won a BCS game in his 1st year and did it again 3 years later. Look at what he's now done at Washington. Point I'm making is these are elite coaches who quickly turned programs around at small schools. All won their conference within a a year after taking over a team that was not very good, all but Peterson but he just won a BCS bowl his 1st year that's it. Anyway Mac had 3 years at CSU and never even won his division. He went 22-16 which imo is a redflag, he never really had a signature win while at CSU which is another redflag. One of the reasons Herman was such of a hot coach is because he had several signature wins. Mac beat a bad Colorado team. He also lost the last game he coached at CSU. I just looked at his time at CSU as unimpressive no signature wins no conference titles 22-16 record it just seemed below average imo compared to other coaches. Then I decided to look into his recruiting and noticed he only recruited 5 players to Alabama which was yet again another red flag and made me wonder if Saban knew something and didn't send him to recruit. With all the redflag I just didn't think he was a good hire at all so I spoke up and here we are and so far 98% of the board seems to think what I thought from day 1, that's he's not the right guy.
You point to Petersen as an example of a coach that has got it going on and superior to Mac. But look at his work at Washington, the first two years he was 8-6 and 7-6 and finished 4th in division. His recruiting, something that so many complain about? (per ESPN) 2014 - rank 45 , 2 4star, 20 3star; 2015 - rank 28, 4 4star, 19 3 star; 2016 - rank 29, 8 4star, 9 3star; This year his class is sitting at 15 while ours is at 17. So applying the same logic Petersen should have been canned by the metrics that you are holding Mac to and pointing that he is just not making it. If anything Petersen is a shining example of why it is not logical to sit here before the end of the second year and proclaim, "ya, Mac's a failure and not going to make it". Again why I think this 3rd year is important, everything is lining up for him to have a breakout year, much like Petersen this year. If he doesnt do it, then there is enough body of evidence, to reasonably start talking about his failure.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was the 1st to say Mac was not the right guy the minute he was hired, I was hoping I was wrong because I hate seeing is lose but it's clear I was correct about him. I didn't think he'd be this bad but I never once thought he was the right hire
I think that describes many people. I never thought Mac, Will, or Ron were the right hire. Hell I was not 100% sure with Urban.

I also don't see any that are currently right for UF.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You point to Petersen as an example of a coach that has got it going on and superior to Mac. But look at his work at Washington, the first two years he was 8-6 and 7-6 and finished 4th in division. His recruiting, something that so many complain about? (per ESPN) 2014 - rank 45 , 2 4star, 20 3star; 2015 - rank 28, 4 4star, 19 3 star; 2016 - rank 29, 8 4star, 9 3star; This year his class is sitting at 15 while ours is at 17. So applying the same logic Petersen should have been canned by the metrics that you are holding Mac to and pointing that he is just not making it. If anything Petersen is a shining example of why it is not logical to sit here before the end of the second year and proclaim, "ya, Mac's a failure and not going to make it". Again why I think this 3rd year is important, everything is lining up for him to have a breakout year, much like Petersen this year. If he doesnt do it, then there is enough body of evidence, to reasonably start talking about his failure.
Cuuf , coaching is like instant tea or coffee. You stir that sh#t in and it has to be ready RIGHT now.................nobody got time for that recruiting and developing players and trying to get your system in place. Nobody ever believed team chemistry (his players and now your players working together) has any importance. This guy looks funny talks funny and aint got any socks so he sucks...............get on board Cuuf. The bandwagon for the next flavor of the month is about to leave the station without you..............Besides we aint no east coast liberality college like Washington,. WE are the might gatorr, home of SOS and Timmy And Urban and Danny.............we sposed to be kckazzzz from the get go with new coaches.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We will know after this recruiting class and upcoming season if Mac is even viable to be a successful coach here. He will have his players in place and won't be able to win any longer with lousy offenses and a good defense that he didn't recruit. People don't want to see anymore 4 or more loss seasons however even if like the previous two the East is down big time again and it gets you back in the SECCG to take another beating. That is not a recipe showing there will be any success long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator