Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n53972 said:
If we had a PK worth a damn, OT never would have happened. I like Velez, but I don't buy the b.s. of having a 'short' kicker and a 'long' kicker.

It doesn't happen in college football. A kicker with a 50 foot leg comes along once a century for most teams.

I know that we were used to Driskel shiiitting his britches every time he got the red zone and watching Caleb Sturgis bail him out with long distance kick, but Sturgis isn't coming back.
They knew what play was being run, Pittman just lined up on the wrong side. Driskel got him lined up correctly, in time, had enough men on the LOS, got the play off, and ran it to perfection. Not sure what else can be said about the most clutch play of the game. Hell, even Roper said Driskel saved their asses.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator said:
GatormanTX;n53816 said:
Seems to me that Crunchtime was saying the he has no illusion that if Muschamp had been in that exact scenario that he would not have taken the chance. The OT situation left him no choice so therefore the decision was not really his.

I don't think that is a fair assessment... maybe he would.. maybe he wouldn't, but we haven't seen Muschamp in that exact scenario to know. We haven't seen him with the lead in a close game on 4th and inches against an offense that probably should have already scored on you a couple of times...

My bigger point was that people are saying Muschamp coaches "not to lose"... while I agree with that statement regarding last year... I have not seen it this year and did not see it in the UK game.
I agree completely with ATX. There is nothing in that KY game that reflects that Muschamp was coaching not to lose. So what if they ran the ball more and took fewer shots down the field? It worked. Just took longer cause of two missed field goals. And NOT going for it on 4th in this game was absolutely the right call.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
If we had a PK worth a damn, OT never would have happened. I like Velez, but I don't buy the b.s. of having a 'short' kicker and a 'long' kicker.

It doesn't happen in college football. A kicker with a 50 foot leg comes along once a century for most teams.

I know that we were used to Driskel shiiitting his britches every time he got the red zone and watching Caleb Sturgis bail him out with long distance kick, but Sturgis isn't coming back.
Driskel **** his britches in 2OT - locked up and couldn't even throw for a wide open TD. Luckily KY only made a FG right after that or there would have been no 3OT due to Driskel.

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014
Funny that Les Miles is widely recognized as the current coach who will "go for it" on 4th down more than anyone, and we make fun of him for doing so.

Strange how Gator Fan's flip flop on who we ridicule and who we revere based on our personal agenda and not the facts.

*Les Miles is the Poster Boy of a Coach who Coaches to win!

:lmao:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator said:
GatormanTX;n53816 said:
Seems to me that Crunchtime was saying the he has no illusion that if Muschamp had been in that exact scenario that he would not have taken the chance. The OT situation left him no choice so therefore the decision was not really his.

I don't think that is a fair assessment... maybe he would.. maybe he wouldn't, but we haven't seen Muschamp in that exact scenario to know. We haven't seen him with the lead in a close game on 4th and inches against an offense that probably should have already scored on you a couple of times...

My bigger point was that people are saying Muschamp coaches "not to lose"... while I agree with that statement regarding last year... I have not seen it this year and did not see it in the UK game.
Vatara - the fact that we went to OT with UK has nothing to do with coaching not to lose. Please give me an example through the first two games of this year or something Muschamp did that you would call "coaching not to lose" vs. coaching to win?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I bet if you look at the actual rate that Muschamp goes for it on 4th down it may be more than any coach in the SEC. Many times recklessly imo. He might like that conservative stuff when games are close but he has certainly went for it on 4th down a lot.

Edit: Guess I was off there -I found the 2013 stats and we fell about in the middle of the SEC for 4th down attempts.

G

Founding Member
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Yeah, because WM has never gambled and gone on 4th down.
If you missed the point you would have no idea so saying you didn't is well...

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:

He might have waited too long to throw it, but the throw hit D-Rob square in his hands. Should have been caught.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
threatmatrix said:
Remember when Spurrier punted on 3rd down cuz we couldn't get our act together. God I miss him.
I think that was because he wanted to get a hold of his QB.....Was it Johnson that he used to grab by the facemask when he would come off the field ?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n54313 said:
I bet if you look at the actual rate that Muschamp goes for it on 4th down it may be more than any coach in the SEC. Many times recklessly imo. He might like that conservative stuff when games are close but he has certainly went for it on 4th down a lot.

Edit: Guess I was off there -I found the 2013 stats and we fell about in the middle of the SEC for 4th down attempts.

Looks like Florida is currently 3 for 5 on 4th down conversions this season, through 2 games. Conversion % is middle of the pack, and number of attempts appears to be as well, thus far. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/fourthDownConvs
In 2013, Florida was 11 for 19 on 4th down conversions. There were more teams that attempted 4th down conversians, than didn't compared to Florida and it's not even close. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/fourthDownConvs/year/2013
In 2012, was 7 for 11. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/fourthDownConvs/year/2012
In 2011, UF was 6 for 11. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/fourthDownConvs/year/2011

Comparing to the SEC, in 2011, USCe attempted 31 4th downs, Vandy 20, Arkansas 16, UGA 20, Tennessee 28, Missouri 17 (though they weren't SEC yet), Kentucky 23, Bama 13, Miss St 18, Ole Miss 20, Auburn 12, LSU 6, Florida 6, Texas A&M 10 (though again, not SEC yet).
So in 2011, only one existing SEC team attempted less 4th down conversions. LSU. Florida ranked 7th or 8th in the conference (depending on if you count Missouri or not) on completing those conversions.

In 2012, Vandy 30, Missouri 23, Kentucky 22, Miss St 21, Tennessee 19, Arkansas 18, Ole Miss 18, USCe 17, Texas A&M 12, Bama 11, Florida 11, Auburn 9, UGA 9, LSU 7. Only 3 teams went for it less. Florida ranked 2nd in the conference on completing 4th down conversions.

In 2013, USCe 30, Miss St 29, Kentucky 28, Ole Miss 28, Vandy 28, UGA 22, Florida 19, Texas A&M 18, Missouri 16, Auburn 15, Arkansas 15, Bama 12, Tennessee 11, LSU 9. So you're right, they were right in the middle of the pack. Florida ranked 6th in the conference in completing those 4th downs.

Looking at the stats, Florida doesn't really go for it on 4th down all that much, certainly less than most in the conference, and even further down the list when considering all teams. One could argue that maybe Muschamp doesn't go for it enough on 4th down, however, there are many variables to consider, such as field position, time left, score, etc. And when Florida does go for it, they generally have a better chance than not of getting it, that's pretty much all most teams can ask for.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Jake from State Farm;n54300 said:
Strange how Gator Fan's flip flop on who we ridicule and who we revere based on our personal agenda and not the facts.
Welcome to every fan base there ever was for every sport since the beginning of time. Glad you finally made it!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
threatmatrix said:
Remember when Spurrier punted on 3rd down cuz we couldn't get our act together. God I miss him.
I think weeks later he kinda admitted he thought it was 4th down. But can u imagine that no one told him otherwise. They just figured the genius had a plan

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
88drgator said:
ATXGator;n53871 said:

You will get your chance. There will be scrotal shrinkage at Bama. WM is too intimidated by his mentor, Satan.
I agree. Status quo is great for Bammer and everyone else in the SEC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:

Squash is right. Driskel did well in OT. I meant the rest of his career he has struggled consistently when we managed to get to the endzone.

Let's hope we see more of the OT Drizzy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix said:
Johnson and Driskel are so similar. Golden arms and horseshiit brains.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:

I don't want to keep seeing Driskel spazzing out and unable to throw to a wide open guy in the end zone and hesitating like that where we have to pray the other team only makes a FG so it goes to the next OT. What has gotten into you Law.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:

Fever Robinson should have caught the damn ball

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:

Driskel could have literally handed it to him with that much time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator