What is the oldest man made object that you have?

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
IMG_0731.jpeg
Here’s a gallon jar of my old friends some go back thousands of years

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have a US penny that you can clearly see the date of 1798.

But I also have some roman/greek ancient coins were made ~100-300 AD. It just looks like an old ass coin. But there are websites where you can match up the designs. They are pretty cheap and can buy the authenticated for about 20 bucks

s-l500.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We bought an old farm house and the original property owner’s family had been here for generations. “Granny” and her family lived down the road and became close friends. When she passed away I helped the family clean out her house. She was a farmer and had found several Indian artifacts while working our land. I didn’t feel right taking the best of the arrowheads when they offered them however in hindsight they were probably thrown out or given away. They had a bucket full and didn't want them. They didn’t mean much to the family unfortunately. Some people don’t like collectibles and antiques.

This is what we kept. No idea what Indian group or the age. I'd love it if someone knew more about the tools in front.

IMG_2081.jpeg

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The oldest crap I have is a few fossils found periodically on my grandmother's old farm. Interestingly they are fossils of ocean creatures and her farm is in southern Indiana. Always thought that was cool. But those are obviously not man made. When my son was younger he was really into coin collecting and I was able to find him a few roman coins.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The oldest crap I have is a few fossils found periodically on my grandmother's old farm. Interestingly they are fossils of ocean creatures and her farm is in southern Indiana. Always thought that was cool. But those are obviously not man made. When my son was younger he was really into coin collecting and I was able to find him a few roman coins.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

When I saw you chime in here I thought you were going to refer to someone’s mother

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When I saw you chime in here I thought you were going to refer to someone’s mother
He did. “Few Fossils” refer to the semi-retired exotic dancers from Newby’s that he has on retainer. I’m sure they are somebody’s mother.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
We bought an old farm house and the original property owner’s family had been here for generations. “Granny” and her family lived down the road and became close friends. When she passed away I helped the family clean out her house. She was a farmer and had found several Indian artifacts while working our land. I didn’t feel right taking the best of the arrowheads when they offered them however in hindsight they were probably thrown out or given away. They had a bucket full and didn't want them. They didn’t mean much to the family unfortunately. Some people don’t like collectibles and antiques.

This is what we kept. No idea what Indian group or the age. I'd love it if someone knew more about the tools in front.

View attachment 59818
Some neat stuff for sure, small flint tool second from left looks like a scraper/knife
The two round stones may be game balls or stones used in games or nut stones used fro cracking nuts
no idea on far right piece

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Some neat stuff for sure, small flint tool second from left looks like a scraper/knife
The two round stones may be game balls or stones used in games or nut stones used fro cracking nuts
no idea on far right piece
Cultural appropriation.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My grandfather was in the gum ball and stamp machines business, so I used to have an antique machine that took 1 cent. Thought to have been from the 30s/40s but was solid steel and glass and still worked. Had to have weighed 50lbs. I outgrew it but still really liked it as it became nostalgic. Long and short, when my parents sold our home and moved, it was somehow lost. Also lost was an entire closet filled of two surfboards, a snowboard, and 3-4 wetsuits dating back to my first from the late 80s. I guess technically none of these would actually count anymore since they were lost. So I’ll go with what I think is an IPhone 8+ in my office drawer.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have quite a few antiques, but most are ‘40s and ‘50s. However, I do have an old German .22 rifle that my granddaddy picked up somewhere down the line. Best I can make from a little casual research is that the rifle was likely produced in the ‘30s…

IMG_1995.jpeg

IMG_1996.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator