What is the oldest man made object that you have?

Detroitgator

Top-notch Сasual Dating - Real Women
Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We have quite a few antiques, but most are ‘40s and ‘50s. However, I do have an old German .22 rifle that my granddaddy picked up somewhere down the line. Best I can make from a little casual research is that the rifle was likely produced in the ‘30s…

View attachment 59899

View attachment 59900
That rifle was made in a pretty famous gun shop (among many other famous gun makers like Walther and Anschutz until the Soviets came) about 20 miles across the East German border from where I was stationed in the '80s

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That rifle was made in a pretty famous gun shop (among many other famous gun makers like Walther and Anschutz until the Soviets came) about 20 miles across the East German border from where I was stationed in the '80s
In my few quick reads, it sounds like some of these that are over here were transported back with some of the WWII vets. I don’t remember all the details, but I believe Granddad did some work for a fellow and traded out labor for the old rifle.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have my great grandfather’s Bible. He wrote the date in 1885 when he first received it.
It has no value to anyone outside the family.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I have a Samurai sword brought back from the Pacific after WWII by my grandfather. The Japanese officer it was appropriated from "didn't need it anymore". It is said to be 14th-15th Century by "a sword guy" at a gun show in Ft Myers. I'm reaching out to "Florida Token-Kai" an expert listed on "Japanese Sword Index" for a better appraisal, and hopefully to re-wrap the handle.
1690383091431.png
There is evidence of blade combat.
1690383146918.png
The rifle at the top of pic #1 was my g-g-grandfather's .58 cal model 1861 Springfield muzzle loader when he served in the 51st NY Vol Regiment. In the 1880's it was converted to breach loader. These items were hastily photographed for insurance purposes just before Hurricane Ian slammed us last fall.
wrp

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I have a Samurai sword brought back from the Pacific after WWII by my grandfather. The Japanese officer it was appropriated from "didn't need it anymore". It is said to be 14th-15th Century by "a sword guy" at a gun show in Ft Myers. I'm reaching out to "Florida Token-Kai" an expert listed on "Japanese Sword Index" for a better appraisal, and hopefully to re-wrap the handle.
View attachment 60005
View attachment 60006
The rifle at the top of pic #1 was my g-g-grandfather's .58 cal model 1861 Springfield muzzle loader when he served in the 51st NY Vol Regiment. In the 1880's it was converted to breach loader. These items were hastily photographed for insurance purposes just before Hurricane Ian slammed us last fall.
wrp
ProTip #8864: Regarding the sword - if the appraiser thinks it's genuinely even remotely that old, and while there is probably no question that the handle has been rewrapped over time (but most recent rewrap is probably 100 years +/- 20 years), he should probably tell you "don't do a fukking thing to it, leave it exactly 'as is'."

My experience with similar is the M1911 I mentioned (1918 serial number 4XX,XXX, made in a run when we entered WW I). It has been in the family since long before I was born and I have no idea of its history. When my Dad died and I got it, I did not realize it was a true 1911 and not a 1911A1. To me, it was a ".45". It did look like it had all original parts though (and I do have the grips that were on it, but they were the Army plastic ones, not originals, I put Pachmayr's on it because I still shoot it, often). Anyway, I took it to a good gunsmith and asked him about re-Parkerizing/blueing it. After looking at it for a minute, he said, "It's a true 1911. I'll do whatever you want, but I wouldn't do a damn thing to it, and if you want to sell it, call me first." Other than the grips, I haen't done a damn thing to it. And yes, as a true 1911, it'll "bite" the schit out of the web of your strong hand if you don't grip it right (the "A1" fixed that).

IMG_0386.jpg

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
View attachment 60005
View attachment 60006
wrp
Your g-g-g-grandfather was a Yankee? Oh the horror.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Certainly no winner here, but still worthy. My mom’s dad was gifted a 250 acre farm when he graduated high school. The farm is still in the family. A few years ago, we are snooping around one of the barns and we come across a cigar box with some old paperwork. Looked like an old brochure that was tightly rolled up. Very yellow and brittle. We could tell it was my grandmother’s confirmation certificate and her pocket bible. But it was truly on the edge of complete disintegration. We researched historical document restoration people. It took the lady 2 years, and came with a hefty bill, but it was returned to us a couple of weeks ago.

From 1928:

IMG_5700.jpeg

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Certainly no winner here, but still worthy. My mom’s dad was gifted a 250 acre farm when he graduated high school. The farm is still in the family. A few years ago, we are snooping around one of the barns and we come across a cigar box with some old paperwork. Looked like an old brochure that was tightly rolled up. Very yellow and brittle. We could tell it was my grandmother’s confirmation certificate and her pocket bible. But it was truly on the edge of complete disintegration. We researched historical document restoration people. It took the lady 2 years, and came with a hefty bill, but it was returned to us a couple of weeks ago.

From 1928:

View attachment 60032

I'm shocked you didn't burst into flames the moment you touched it.

Alex.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
IMG_0750.jpeg IMG_0754.jpeg IMG_0753.jpeg IMG_0751.jpeg
Japanese rifle Uncle brought bask from WW 11 notice the notch on the bottom of the stock, he was a marine fought at New Britain

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Have a couple marlins 1891 and 1893 (22/32) from late 1890’s. Ugly ass chairs that great grand parents brought from Germany in 1800’s.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Have a couple marlins 1891 and 1893 (22/32) from late 1890’s. Ugly ass chairs that great grand parents brought from Germany in 1800’s.
So my mind works different. The first thought I had was Marlin rifles. Then I thought guitars, but I realized that was Martin. Then I thought fish and they would be spoilt by now. Chairs weren't in the process.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So my mind works different. The first thought I had was Marlin rifles. Then I thought guitars, but I realized that was Martin. Then I thought fish and they would be spoilt by now. Chairs weren't in the process.
^ this is why they should have banned Harrison Ford from flying any more a long, long time ago. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.