Votes: 101 93.5%
  • Fall down

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Ok, Davis scored. What if... on the ensuing kickoff, the vandy returner fumbles it and we scoop it up and score another TD to go up 21? And what if the same thing happens on the next kickoff, and we score another TD to go up 28? We can play the what ifs all day, both ways. Not taking a TD to go up 14 points is playing not to lose, and I'm sorry, but I will never agree that is the way the game should be played. That kind of offensive strategy left here a couple of years ago and went to South Carolina. I'm disappointed that it seems to have shown up again in the form of Butters. I would prefer it to go away and never come back.

Points win games. There's no such thing as too many of them.
Agree 100%

The strategic aspect of going down and then being able to run out the clock is a great plan for armchair coaches. But I would NEVER want my players thinking anything other than destroy the opponent in front of you.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mac went for it on 4th down with the game on the line. Great call executed to absolute perfection. That is aggressive football...playing to win...nailing it shut. Keep whining over whether he should score or not. That's what the kids watching on TV and all the inept announcers do....debate. Mac and his boys took matters into their own hands and left nothing to chance.
:wtf:

From what I understand it was MAC HIMSELF who whined about the TD in the post-game interview. Not kids watching on TV or inept announcers. Are we not allowed to discuss it?

Jesus, your condescending post really pisses me off. You're like Sas on steroids.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It's a legitimate question based on circumstances. In 2011, for example, against VU, I think Demps should've taken a knee instead of scoring. But it was because a) we could've killed the clock, b) we had no answer for Rogers and Matthews so giving them the ball was penciling in 7 for them, and c) it was an odd number(12 points) so 2 scores beats us.

Those factors didn't exist today, specifically VU's offensive abilities. Putting us in position where 2 TDs ties the game(not wins it) is the right move, imo.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
:wtf:

From what I understand it was MAC HIMSELF who whined about the TD in the post-game interview. Not kids watching on TV or inept announcers. Are we not allowed to discuss it?

Jesus, your condescending post really pisses me off. You're like Sas on steroids.

He didn't whine at all. He made his point. Period. Which nearly all of us universally disagreed with. Why can't it be that simple?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He didn't whine at all. He made his point. Period. Which nearly all of us universally disagreed with. Why can't it be that simple?
Mac started this debate, not a bunch of armchair asshats. You need to accept that this is a sports message board.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017

Don't think he whined about it, and didn't even bring it up. The real whiner was McElroy who kept going on and on about why Davis should have taken a knee and ended the game, and he was sure Mac was unhappy he didn't. The other announcer was basically calling him crazy, and said you should never take a fall when you only have a 1 TD lead. So, fast forward to post game interview with Mac and reporter askd him specifically whether or not he wanted Davis to down the ball or score, and Mac said the play call was for him to down the ball if he got the first. I think he called the play "Hammer" which is what most Gator fans would have wanted to hit their head with had Davis not gone into the end zone the way he did...IMO anyway..

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Don't think he whined about it, and didn't even bring it up. The real whiner was McElroy who kept going on and on about why Davis should have taken a knee and ended the game, and he was sure Mac was unhappy he didn't. The other announcer was basically calling him crazy, and said you should never take a fall when you only have a 1 TD lead. So, fast forward to post game interview with Mac and reporter askd him specifically whether or not he wanted Davis to down the ball or score, and Mac said the play call was for him to down the ball if he got the first. I think he called the play "Hammer" which is what most Gator fans would have wanted to hit their head with had Davis not gone into the end zone the way he did...IMO anyway..

That is exactly what happened. Exactly. Mac never whined about it. It was 4th and 1 and they called a play to get the first down...duh....and game over. The kid broke it and now Gator fans have started a controversy. Mac isn't mad. Davis certainly isn't mad. Nobody is whining. We just have some fans that have latched on to this as the takeaway for the entire game. Every team in the nation would have called a similar play designed to get the first down. Then every single one of them would have taken some knees. Period. Nobody would have been scheming for a 39 yd TD run. It's a fake controversy apparently put forth by some of our own fans.

How about we just discuss the play call? The strategy behind it? Who would have punted? Who would have gone for a FG. Who would have thrown it? I thought it was a great call and the perfect strategy. Once he broke it...go ahead and score in my book. But the discussion should be the call. What would Muschamp have done? Ballsy aggressive move. If we don't get it..they have good field position needing just one score and plenty of time.

I'm not buying the false narrative.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Mac started this debate, not a bunch of armchair asshats. You need to accept that this is a sports message board.

Ox I do accept that. I'm learning. But it is disingenuous to suggest that Mac was whining about it. His initial reaction was get down and the game is over. You agreed with that. It's how he felt in the moment. How many times have we told a DB with a game ending interception to just get down? Games over give it to the QB in victory formation. Happens every weekend. Again I thought Davis should score. Either way we win but for our own fan base to manufacture a team controversy is azz-backwards.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You keep saying “controversy”. We’re talking about it on a message board. I think you’re taking it far more seriously than the rest of us. There is no real controversy.

If we didn’t freaking suck, we wouldn’t have been in a position to need a late break to put away an awful Vandy team in the first place. This coaching staff is a joke. I’m tired of struggling against horrible teams like Vandy, Kentucky, and UT.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac was literally whining about it on the sidelines while the players and fans were going nuts. Literally.

Screw Mac and his playing not to lose mentality. I don't want someone like that coaching our Gators. Loser mentality for a loser coach. Get outta here.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I understood that the OP asked what Davis should have done, not who whined about it. Putting us 14 points ahead with time running out surely sets your probabilities in favor of better recruiting and recruiting is more important than anything Mac does. I see by his preference to not score, Mac can hurt recruiting. The kids don't accept the "taking a knee is the smart thing to do, scoring was wrong".

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First thing he mentioned when interviewed on the field. Apparently we have nothing bigger to address.

Wait, wait, wait.

The announcers were arguing about it and Tom Luginbill, agreeing with McElroy, said that he would ask Mac - in order to prove the play-by-play guy wrong. ...seeing the HFB coach as a greater expert on this than the play-by-play guy (insert inane 'Butters' joke here). Mac did not 'mention' it. He answered the question - and while he acknowledged the tactic that would have been preferred, his mannerisms, in my opinion, minimized the whole question. He answered it just the way he should have.

He didn't bring it up or whine about it. He answered a question.

I don't have the game DVR'd, but here's the quote.

Go to the 2:42:20 mark on WatchESPN.

Like South Florida has said several times recently, there are enough legitimate reasons to be upset at this staff, we don't have to make up crap.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Taking a knee is the safe move from the coaches' perspective. On the other hand, our defense would have to collapse completely to allow 2 TDs in the time left (to Vandy). If we were playing a much better team, taking a knee is the better move.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You keep saying “controversy”. We’re talking about it on a message board. I think you’re taking it far more seriously than the rest of us. There is no real controversy.

You can debate whether controversy is too strong of a word, what is clear is that people who dislike Mac are using this against him. Even you, who agrees that the smartest move is to keep possession and run out the clock, are using this to criticize our coach. Marine1 is right, the better way to look at this is this way...
  1. Our coach chose the most aggressive and best call - to go for it on 4th down. Highest probability of getting the first down, highest probability of winning, lowest probability of a turnover or losing the game.
  2. Even after scoring, Mac didn't lose his head. He kept his head and continued to think like a great coach would - strategically. Saban, Belichick and every NFL coach and good college coaches would have thought the same thing.
  3. In the post-game interview he answered the question (he'd get crucified here if he didn't) and then he put it in perspective of the win.
Mac is no Butch Jones. We won! Our offense scored plenty! Can we pause the Mac hate for an hour and celebrate?
:Chomp:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac was literally coaching on the sidelines while the players and fans were going nuts. Literally.

I'm so glad to have Mac and his playing aggressively but under control. I don't want someone like Butch Jones who is inept or Les Miles who is unpredictable, borderline unstable. Go Gators.

FIFY :barfaway::exactly:

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
How the hell did this thread get sidetracked? I can't believe this is even a question. Score. Score the TD. That's the right thing every time almost. Especially in this situation. There's so many things wrong with McElwain saying that he should've gone down to run the clock out. This guy is just nailing his own coffin shut. That's one lil nail right there. We'll see the next few when he loses the next three in a row. He should be fired by the end of October.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Davis is the type of back you feel really good about giving the ball to. He almost never loses yardage. He also gets about two extra yards with each carry. He has the ability to break the big one on any given play. He also looks durable. He reminds me of #22 a whole bunch. He makes the right choices on almost ever carry. I would describe Emmit and Malik the same way, very smart runners. They take what is there. We now have a sound running game!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator