What was your first computer?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Kaypro CPM operating system with 2 floppy disc drives and no hard drive. I got it in 1986 and used it for 4 years of grad school. I may have been the only one in my class with a computer. Everybody else paid somebody to type their papers.

upload_2022-1-30_19-57-52.jpeg

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

Same.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Kaypro CPM operating system with 2 floppy disc drives and no hard drive. I got it in 1986 and used it for 4 years of grad school. I may have been the only one in my class with a computer. Everybody else paid somebody to type their papers.

Commodore 64. 5 1/4 floppy drive (heavier than the actual computer), 16 color monitor and a dot matrix printer. Starting at UF in 1985, like you I was the only one I knew with a computer and able to print my own stuff. Computer labs for general use were just starting to appear around campus by the time I graduated.

My worst sad story of computer "oops" was finishing a lab report at 4 am (I was and am a horrible procrastinator) and deciding to save before I printed. Accidently pushed "L" for "load" instead of "S" for "save" and reloaded a version from 6 hours ago. No way to recover in those days! So much for those two hours of sleep I might have gotten.
Untitled-17.png

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
4th grade class got a couple of Trash80s. That had to be 1985. That’s the first computer I touched.

I think it was the next year my dad bought a Tandy1000HX from radioshack for like $2000. Matter of fact…. It’s probably still there in a closet.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Couldn't tell you the first one I got. My uncle used to build computers. In the late 80's he gave us one and a five minute course on how to do things. He was one of those people that thought everyone should know things like he did and set everything up in DOS. Turned it on once, couldn't remember how to do anything and that was it.

My first real computer was probably around 1997. Don't know the model, but that it was an HP, my parents bought two for me and my sister, and everything was color coordinated so it was an easy setup.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Yeesh. At the risk of derailing the thread, how did most of you like growing up with Truman in office?

My generation's job was to make computers and the internet accessible to everyone. Posts like this make it clear we did our job way too well.

And growing up with Truman in office was only slightly more enjoyable than "growing up" with your mom in Yemen. ;)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
First two were "pooled" money with friends, a Timex Sinclair 1000, then a Trash 80. My first was a Commodore 64 around 88. Then in 89 going to UF, we got a PC clone 286 AT with dual 3.5/5.25 drives and a Panasonic 24 pin printer... at that time, I think the whole setup with monitor was close to $2500. Bought my first modem in Gainesville to connect to "Pine" and "Oak" (or whatever the fuk they were at UF), I think it was 2400 baud.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
First two were "pooled" money with friends, a Timex Sinclair 1000, then a Trash 80. My first was a Commodore 64 around 88. Then in 89 going to UF, we got a PC clone 286 AT with dual 3.5/5.25 drives and a Panasonic 24 pin printer... at that time, I think the whole setup with monitor was close to $2500. Bought my first modem in Gainesville to connect to "Pine" and "Oak" (or whatever the fuk they were at UF), I think it was 2400 baud.

The vax clusters at UF were: Maple, Oak, Pine, and my fave, Cedar. I spent WAAAAY too much time on there.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Apple IIGS

upload_2022-1-31_10-7-7.png

Look
"You see a statue holding a flask"
Get flask
"You can't get the flask"
Grab flask
"I don't understand"
Grab flask the statue is holding
'"I don't understand"
Climb statute
"You can't do that here"
Jump
"You leap up and down but nothing happens"
Use flask
"You do not have a flask"
Take flask
"You take the flask"
Use flask
"You have nothing in the flask"

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Apple IIGS

Look
"You see a statue holding a flask"
Get flask
"You can't get the flask"
Grab flask
"I don't understand"
Grab flask the statue is holding
'"I don't understand"
Climb statute
"You can't do that here"
Jump
"You leap up and down but nothing happens"
Use flask
"You do not have a flask"
Take flask
"You take the flask"
Use flask
"You have nothing in the flask"
Man, a kid could DREAM of a setup like that! I could barely dream of a Franklin knock off back then... back then, I was solidly among the poors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.