Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Apple II

Still using it...

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
As for the 486 in early 90's, I was at UF from 89-93. The 286 AT was all I really needed (and, at ~$2000, all I could afford!), but my best friend (also an Army enlisted guy that went to UF) was an Aero major. Spent everything he had to get a 386SX (could only dream of DX)... the 486 DX was "unobtainium" back then :lol: By the way, he's a VERY senior exec at GE Aviation now... another American Dream come true.

The salesman told my dad: "This is all the computer you will ever need." :headslap:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Five Star and Deet....clearly this is only because of your white privilege. You didn't build any of what propelled you to the undeserved heights you've gained. You got it by exploiting systemic racism!!! Bawwwwww!!!!

In all seriousness....if someone isn't capable of being successful in this country at this point in time, whenever the hell else would they have been???

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Commodore 64. Atari made a computer and my dad got one of those at some point too.

He also brought home a macintosh a few years later. I had a bunch of games I played on the 64.

Impossible mission
Jumpman
Montezuma's Revenge
Mario
Zaxon zaxon

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My dad was blue collar and when we would get stuff like that it meant he had worked a metric ton of overtime. He took all that he could get and gave us every advantage possible. It is the whole story of my family. My great-grandfather was a farmer so poor the bank repossessed the mule he used to plow the fields that he used to grow his feed. My grandfather owned a business that was destroyed by fire. He went to work as a truck driver to keep his kids fed. Dad used his military training to get a job on the more technical side of blue collar. He had many white collar opportunities due to his background, but the union job he had and its constant need of OT gave him more immediate income potential to facilitate all our needs and a whole lot of our wants. Each and every one of my generation in this family is a college educated professional in fields ranging from engineering to finance. My oldest daughter is currently at UF with designs on medical school.

God Bless America. Not many places on Earth where that kind of upward mobility is possible.
You guys had collars?

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Kennedy and Johnson did, for sure.

iu

Looks like LBJ showed them Ol' Jumbo.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
That is what my wife & I bought as well, 1990 I believe.

"During 1987–1988 the retail stores removed the TRS-80 Model 4Ds from display but they were available by special order through 1991."

You might have gotten real lucky to pick one up near the end of the lifecycle.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
"During 1987–1988 the retail stores removed the TRS-80 Model 4Ds from display but they were available by special order through 1991."

You might have gotten real lucky to pick one up near the end of the lifecycle.

Heck, I don't remember the model for sure, but we bought it at the Radio Shack in Arlington, TX, 1990 or 1991.

I threw it in a dumpster in Louisville, KY in 1998 or so.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure most of you nerds know this already, but in case you don't, there's a bunch of old C64 software emulated online, courtesy of the Internet Archive:

Software Library: C64 : Free Software : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive

Other platforms, too.
i did know that. back in college i had downloaded a C64 emulator and about 800 game files to my laptop at the time. some of the games were horrible recreations, but others were awesome. very fun and very nostalgic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator