Who is more at fault for our loss - offense or defense?

Who is more at fault for our loss - offense or defense?

• Total voters

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Losing our starting QB hurt worse than most will like to admit

Like the others, I completely disagree with this statement. If we'd have had del Rio in there, I don't think the outcome would have been any different. Offensive play calling killed any chance we had in the second half. That demoralized the Defense (again).

Our defense showed in the first half they were capable of shutting TN down. The first and goal from Callaway's dumb mistake proved the defense was capable. Their meltdown is horrific and on them, but it stats with an Offense that can't get a first down, which starts with play calls designed to lose yardage.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like the others, I completely disagree with this statement. If we'd have had del Rio in there, I don't think the outcome would have been any different. Offensive play calling killed any chance we had in the second half. That demoralized the Defense (again).

Our defense showed in the first half they were capable of shutting TN down. The first and goal from Callaway's dumb mistake proved the defense was capable. Their meltdown is horrific and on them, but it stats with an Offense that can't get a first down, which starts with play calls designed to lose yardage.
First, my statement is not a reflection upon Appleby's performance. I think he did well. Very well given the circumstances.

My statement is the playcalling was handcuffed, I'll let you assess how much, because of the new quarterback. Was it warranted? I'd say yes, but not in a bad way. If you look, Appleby was not crisp and fluid on many plays. Was he bad? No, just not where we would like him to be. Further, we struggled with communications after the first 2-3 series. This had to give the coaching staff a sense of dread and caused them to pull back. Again, I will let you lay blame on the coaches as when it's all said and done, it is the coaches' fault.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Sorry I took your post wrong, then. We're in agreement about AA being serviceable (not great) and the coaches earning the lion's share of blame given the play calling.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
You can have a scoreless tie or you can win if the defense scores (doesn't count as yards gained).

Two things. First, you can't have a scoreless tie in college football. There are unlimited overtimes so one team has to score at least a safety for the game to end, which makes your statement incorrect.

Secondly, I'm sorry if I came across as a jerk in my original response to you. Looking at what I wrote, it seemed a little aggressive towards you without cause. I was still pissed about the game. My apologies.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
There is equal blame and shame to go around. McElwain needs to get a handle on it or he and Clarabelle will be moving back westward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.