Who is more at fault for our loss - offense or defense?

Who is more at fault for our loss - offense or defense?

• Total voters

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
In a nutshell the coaching staff blew this game. Gutless, anemic performance against a fired- up opponent. The coaching staff gave this game away. Gutless and Nutless, this should not happen to any team.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
In a nutshell the coaching staff blew this game. Gutless, anemic performance against a fired- up opponent. The coaching staff gave this game away. Gutless and Nutless, this should not happen to any team.
Gutters and nutts?

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
You can't win (or tie) a college football game without gaining any yards/points, as you claim. What fcvking planet are you from and what are the football rules on that planet?
You can have a scoreless tie or you can win if the defense scores (doesn't count as yards gained).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm putting it on the offense. Defense came out and got a turnover the first possession of the 2nd half, offense played conservative and took their foot off the gas. Everything after that was the snowball rolling down the hill. Not simply calling a QB sneak on 3rd & short was the first of many mistakes.
This. Everybody's defense is going to have some lapses. Look even Bama's defense gave up over 40 last week and almost blew a win. I'm not giving the defense a pass here because they're lack of focus in the 2nd half was obvious.
The 3rd and inches after the int. to start the 2nd half went against our "game management" principles and was a turning point in this game....sneak the damned ball with a big QB, move the chains then go play action......game over and stadium empties IMO....This coaching staff has issues with repeatedly going to plays that haven't worked in short yardage situations. How many times have we seen them run to the left and get stuffed on 3rd and 4th downs this season....we ran no misdirection at an overly aggressive defense in the 2nd half or all season for that matter.
To be honest I think we run the same 4 or 5 plays all the time which is ok if you have the players to impose their will on the defense...we don't yet. We also do not have a guy who we can give the ball to and let him control the game.....Laugh all you want at Dobbs but he did exactly that to us yesterday. It might be time to rethink our philosophy of having a game manager at QB....Even Bama uses a QB that can run and they ask them to run because it works. I'm not calling for a switch in systems but we need to look at using a dual threat QB down the line otherwise I don't see us winning any championships too soon.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This. Everybody's defense is going to have some lapses. Look even Bama's defense gave up over 40 last week and almost blew a win. I'm not giving the defense a pass here because they're lack of focus in the 2nd half was obvious.
The 3rd and inches after the int. to start the 2nd half went against our "game management" principles and was a turning point in this game....sneak the damned ball with a big QB, move the chains then go play action......game over and stadium empties IMO....This coaching staff has issues with repeatedly going to plays that haven't worked in short yardage situations. How many times have we seen them run to the left and get stuffed on 3rd and 4th downs this season....we ran no misdirection at an overly aggressive defense in the 2nd half or all season for that matter.
To be honest I think we run the same 4 or 5 plays all the time which is ok if you have the players to impose their will on the defense...we don't yet. We also do not have a guy who we can give the ball to and let him control the game.....Laugh all you want at Dobbs but he did exactly that to us yesterday. It might be time to rethink our philosophy of having a game manager at QB....Even Bama uses a QB that can run and they ask them to run because it works. I'm not calling for a switch in systems but we need to look at using a dual threat QB down the line otherwise I don't see us winning any championships too soon.

I agree with less than a yard no reason not to use the big QB and just sneak the ball. Heck it worked with Del Rio so it should definitely work with Appleby most of the time.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This game was lost due to depth and conditioning, starting with the O line. It all waterfalls from there.

Our 1s did a decent job in the first half in both runblocking and protection, but the high energy/adrenaline of the first half, and the huge step down in skill of our backups, and you could see even at the end of the first half we were starting to slip.

That led to more conservative play calling, which led to easy 3 and outs, which put our defense on the field too long which got them gassed. They didn't look like they could raise their arms to tackle by the 4th.

Our first 3 games didn't test the conditioning, or the depth of our team. This game exposed it in a horrific way.

The only positive I can take away is that our 1s, on both O and D, were dominant and pretty damn good....for about 25 minutes. We need depth.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Losing our starting QB hurt worse than most will like to admit

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I agree with less than a yard no reason not to use the big QB and just sneak the ball. Heck it worked with Del Rio so it should definitely work with Appleby most of the time.
Instead we went with a deep handoff/pitch to the F VCKING LEFT for the 400th time this season.....It's worked well.....NEVER.
This shows me the coaches are not tracking this IMO which is part of being a good coach.
If were going to be this unimaginative and complacent with our play calling then we need to recruit a QB who can do some damage with his legs and still be able to throw the ball....everyone else who is successful over the last 5 years is doing it. At this pace we'll be just like UGA under Richt. We'll win a lot of games but never be a serious championship contender.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The only positive I can take away is that our 1s, on both O and D, were dominant and pretty damn good....for about 25 minutes. We need depth.
Unfortunately, the help that is on the way is more of the three stars that makeup the huge dropoff from our 1s to our 2s.

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some of you guys are hilarious. You really think all offensive problems are on whatever QB. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
Not what I said. The oline problems are a known issue. Anyone who thought this game was a gimme is delusional.

The play calling was poor but was impacted by limited playbook and what I saw was confusion. The QB situation compounded the manifestation.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
QB play was one of the few bright spots IMO.
I'd say expectations play a role in the assessment. Also, I did not say he played poorly, but there was no doubt our playbook was limited. The jet sweep scared the living daylight out of me for one. Confusion was another.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
AA threw for 300 yards, or roughly the equivalent of a good month for Driskel.

AA wasnt the problem and may well have been an improvement.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
AA threw for 300 yards, or roughly the equivalent of a good month for Driskel.

AA wasnt the problem and may well have been an improvement.

Yep I am not convinced Del Rio is really any better. He did a lot of dangerous stuff in that North Texas game which might have resulted in real bad stuff against SEC defenses.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yep I am not convinced Del Rio is really any better. He did a lot of dangerous stuff in that North Texas game which might have resulted in real bad stuff against SEC defenses.
Did he do bad stuff or has our limited playbook and predictable play calling make it look dangerous? We've been scouted and we're trying to run a limited pro style playbook with 3 star talent.....to me that's the dangerous point.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Some of you guys are hilarious. You really think all offensive problems are on whatever QB. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
The real problem is until we have all 4 and 5 star offensive linemen who pan out, 6'6" WR's with 4.3 speed and 240# RB's who could also be Olympic sprinters that block perfectly in pass protection our QB will be a problem...we are what we are at this point. An average team trying to run a strictly pro style offense with limited playmakers for the QB to get the ball to....

There's a reason Petrino, Dabo , Urban and even Saban/ Kiffen are having success....they realize it's CFB not NFL....It's ok to recruit a QB who can ALSO run as well as throw. QB's are often al the difference between a 7-5 team and a NC team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator