Who is more at fault for our loss - offense or defense?

Who is more at fault for our loss - offense or defense?

• Total voters

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
The entire staff failed. They are not the answer.
Been saying it since before the start of the season and now more and more people each week are starting to see it how I've seen it all along.

I just pray that the new ad sees how important football is and gets his guy no matter the price. Only bad thing is the only person out there imo is Herman and his sweepstakes is going to be this off-season which means we would have to fire Mac this year.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Been saying it since before the start of the season and now more and more people each week are starting to see it how I've seen it all along.

I just pray that the new ad sees how important football is and gets his guy no matter the price. Only bad thing is the only person out there imo is Herman and his sweepstakes is going to be this off-season which means we would have to fire Mac this year.

No way he gets fired this year. He'll be a dead man walking next year. The seat is hot. I'll hear people screaming he made it to ATL till the day he is let go. He won the SEC East in the worst year its ever been. Hell, it's bad THIS year too. Foley is an outstanding 1/4 on CFB coaching hires. Ox needs to perma ban him from the athletic building.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
No way he gets fired this year. He'll be a dead man walking next year. The seat is hot. I'll hear people screaming he made it to ATL till the day he is let go. He won the SEC East in the worst year its ever been. Hell, it's bad THIS year too. Foley is an outstanding 1/4 on CFB coaching hires. Ox needs to perma ban him from the athletic building.
I'm agreeing with you no way he gets fired this year which will put us finding a coach next year, but the only coach out there that seems to fit the bill that we tend to go is Herman but he will most likely be gone after this season. I can't think of another coach out there that would take the job. I know Miles would if he's fired but would we really want him from LSU? He's a great recruiter and has won a championship but hasn't done good lately. I don't know maybe the new guy comes in and wants his guy and does fire Mac who knows

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You know ... since our OL may lack in strength & conditioning maybe we should find a better
S&C coach, ASAP. = make whatever we've got and can acquire stronger, tougher.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Did he do bad stuff or has our limited playbook and predictable play calling make it look dangerous? We've been scouted and we're trying to run a limited pro style playbook with 3 star talent.....to me that's the dangerous point.

Good point

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Your drinking problem hurts worse than you would like to admit
But not near as bad as your mental deficiencies to you.

Find out how much of the playbook the coaches felt comfortable utilizing?

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Notice I said who is more at fault, not necessarily who is at total fault for our loss.

Name and town if you wish to opine.
Offense. Got to have some drives in the second half. Too many 3 and outs. Turd rolled downhill and got bigger. Total implosion.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Good point
Something that I've noticed is when we run 3 or 4 of our plays the defense seems to have instant recognition. The play where we fake run to the left and try to roll the QB to the right is one that sticks out. It worked a few times in the first game but everytime we've run it since the DE/LB is almost in the QB's face when he starts to roll to the right. Perhaps we need to change some pre snap looks or use motion to get a different look?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But not near as bad as your mental deficiencies to you.

Find out how much of the playbook the coaches felt comfortable utilizing?

You're the one making that statement. Why don't you tell us?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Did he do bad stuff or has our limited playbook and predictable play calling make it look dangerous? We've been scouted and we're trying to run a limited pro style playbook with 3 star talent.....to me that's the dangerous point.
Limited playbook or not, you don't throw the ball into a crowd of 3 defenders and 1 receiver in the end zone.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The 3rd and inches after the int. to start the 2nd half went against our "game management" principles and was a turning point in this game.

Yep. Watching live they showed the replay. Dillard made one of the worst block attempts Ive seen a player at any level make. He couldve stood in
front of the the backer and likely wouldve been enough to JS to get the 1st down. Instead he pathetically dives at his legs and the backer makes a nice play tackling Scarlett for no gain. They're going to have some fun with him in the film room on that one, and the D too. I'm putting this one on the D though. We all knew they would have to be the strength of this team, and blew a 3 score lead in a matter of minutes. Let's take a look at the breakdown.

1st score- Duke plays zone. Everyone else in man. Wide open back catches a simple wheel route of the backfield for a walk in touch. Absolutely inexcusable from a 3rd year player who has played in two dozen ball games. Solution: Kick Duke in his ass, and slap him upside the back of the head.
Horrendous.

2nd score- Their TE beats Davis in man coverage. I don't know where the safety was , but you can chalk this one up to their staff drawing one up, and
our guy got beat. It happens sometimes. Tip the cap and move on.

3rd score- Loudmouth #1 Tabor bites on hitch n go with no safety help. Big no no. There goes the lead. Marcell cant get over in time to save the TD. Think we're starting to see a trend here with the safety spot, and it only got worse. Solution: See Duke. Except maybe kick Tabor in the balls for being a loud mouth.

4th score- Malone motions out of the backfield to isolate him in man vs Duke. Duke should use leverage to the inside shoulder forcing a tougher throw for the QB, and in this case would inadvertently throw the WR off his route. Instead Duke is badly beaten at the spot. A simple slant pattern goes for a 40 yard score. Maye appears to have an angle, but I cant tell if he has cement in his cleats , or is terrifed of a cut back inside. Either way the safety once again cant make the score stopping tackle.

Conclusion: You have to give them credit for the 2nd and 4th scores. The 1st and 3rd were mental errors , and/ or stupid mistakes.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Something that I've noticed is when we run 3 or 4 of our plays the defense seems to have instant recognition. The play where we fake run to the left and try to roll the QB to the right is one that sticks out. It worked a few times in the first game but everytime we've run it since the DE/LB is almost in the QB's face when he starts to roll to the right. Perhaps we need to change some pre snap looks or use motion to get a different look?

I think that was happening after about the LSU game last season. Treon wasnt helping things but even FAU and them were ready for the plays it seemed many times like they were guessing right a lot.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would say the coaches are most at fault after the loss, but between the two choices it is definitely the defense. They made some nice stops early in the game, but also got lucky with a lot of dropped passes. They were saying they were the best defense in the country and they couldn't hold a 21 point lead. Sure the offense didn't help them out, but 21 points should have been enough to win and if the defense could have gotten some stops and helped the offense get good field position, that would have helped as well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This falls on both Coordinators and Special Teams. In 3rd and Short, with the backs and an athletic quarterback, you just try to continue drives in the second half. The offensive line play was offensive in the second half due to playcalling. We don't have the horses on either line to get cute on offense and be out there all day on Defense. Our defensive backfield while talented, got torched by bad schemes. The real test for McElwain will be at the end of the season will he break off the coordinators that he likes, for improvement or stay the status quo. This was a complete team and coaching breakdown.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nusschamp was told to find a new job after a little more than a year at Bammer for a reason. He then managed to have the 105th ranked offense at Meatchicken before getting fired. I knew of Nusschamp, and knew how bad he sucked long before we hired him.

I didnt know much about Sidehat, probably never een heard his name until Nov 2014. That was when Mullen roasted his ass on national tv for giving up nearly 700 yards vs Ole Miss. I remember watchig the press conference and thinking "whoever that dude is, he is unemployed". Then we hired him.

The coordinators have failed miserably at their past jobs. I dont know why we expect anything different here.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Nusschamp was told to find a new job after a little more than a year at Bammer for a reason. He then managed to have the 105th ranked offense at Meatchicken before getting fired. I knew of Nusschamp, and knew how bad he sucked long before we hired him.

I didnt know much about Sidehat, probably never een heard his name until Nov 2014. That was when Mullen roasted his ass on national tv for giving up nearly 700 yards vs Ole Miss. I remember watchig the press conference and thinking "That whoever that dude is, he is unemployed". Then we hired him.

The coordinators have failed miserably at their past jobs. I dont know why we expect anything different here.

And that falls on the head coach. He hired his buddy Nusschump and we're stuck with him. Mac will go down with Nussy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator