Who is Nuss blaming here?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure the exact deal but they were saying when Del Rio was in there plays were being ran 4 seconds quicker usually.

During Kentucky it looked that way, I don't know so much against Vandy... but against LSU Nuss playcalling especially in the second half seemed excessively slow.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
"A loser makes mistakes and says, "It wasn't my fault.""

"A loser says I'm sorry and does the same thing the next time."

-Steve Spurrier

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
"I love carrots"
"What's Up doc"
"Babs quit spending the money"

- Bugs
haha-shut-up.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure how much more the playbook can be reduced at this point. If Franks is that far behind after two years then Franks is not the issue, there is no reason for him to be that far behind.

Or maybe he is the issue. Like you I believe that the problem is coaching but we have to consider the fact that maybe he lacks the intellectual capacity to play the position.
If that is the case, I still blame coaching because this staff recruited him like he was the savior.
If he is that slow then either we should not have recruited him or we should give him the Cam Newton Auburn playbook that consisted of 10-12 plays that were numbered versus containing lots of verbiage.
When he was playing for Auburn, Cam said his favorite play at Auburn was "#2" which calls for a QB draw.

Then again, maybe Nuss is not smart enough to figure this out

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
This is Nuss trying to deflect blame, and call out Franks for not being up to the task of playing QB in the SEC. Wasn't Franks recruited because he would be a perfect fit for Nuss & Butters' offense? I believe the blame should be split about 90-10% between the Nuss and Franks, but 100% still belongs to butters. This is his OC, and his QB. If this is all we can produce at this point between the two of them, it is all butters' fault. The play calling is absolutely atrocious, but even with that, the execution of the play calls is piss-poor as well. It is obvious Franks has physical talent. Does he have it upstairs, too? I don't know. The jury is still out on that one. But it would be nice to see him working with someone who knows how to actually develop a QB, and create some synergy like we used to see with Spurrier and Shane, Danny, Rexy, etc. I miss having a coach who still has a passion to play the game. I think this staff just wants to relax and make friends, and are now sad because nobody seems to like them.

We have an offensive design that would struggle to put up many points on the high school level, and offensive coaches with no ability to develop a sense of rhythm, or attack the weaknesses of the defense. I've seen all I need to see to know this won't work in the SEC, or even many/most Division III schools, for that matter. We are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, and hoping the iceberg doesn't make too big of a mess at this point.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Nuss blows. We can yell about limited playbook or what not all day, but there are effective plays we rarely see. For example:

1. Jet Sweeps- Remember how successful our first play was this year? Now picture Toney, BP, or Massey doing at least one a game...(and if you think you can't run it a ton until they stop you I present the LSU game). Also, you could fake the jet sweep and go up the middle as players cheat outside to stop the play.
  2. Quick Slants- I don't Franks has missed one of these yet and all have gone for at least 5. The closest miss was an in route where Hammond slipped/interfered with last game. More of these gets Franks in rhythm AND moves linebackers back which helps our running game.
  3. Fake Screen to Deep Pass- We run enough screens we should be able to teach FF to pump fake to a screen while another player slips behind the corners biting and hit them deep.
  4. ANY ROUTE ON THIRD DOWN PASSED THE STICKS- Sorry, but in 90+% of our passes on third downs we throw it short of the marker. Trust me this happens, I'd take a long post to give all the examples off of the top of my head.
  5. Drag route- "If he's even, he's leaving". That highlight against Ole Miss was not some super-special throw by WG, it was a 3 yard drag to a speedster and letting them run. We could easily have Toney/Massey/BP do this, but I at least haven't seen it (except for on like one thrid and long play :facepalm:)
  6. Rub routes- these are routes that by design get players open. Chris Doering took this coaching staff to task on the lack of these a few weeks back.
  7. QB Rollout with Short TE/Deep WR route- This has happened once, I think it was Moral Stephens first catch. This play gives the QB 4 options, TE/WR/Throwaway/Run. We've seen FF have some nice runs this season. Heck, he had a good one on a rollout against LSU.
  8. ANY RUN TO THE LONG SIDE OF THE FIELD- My personal pet peeve. We love to run to the outside to the short side of the field...tosses, sweeps, you name it. You run those to the long side because of the extra space...you want your guys to have space in order to mae guys miss and to utilize their speed. But, Nuss gets off on doing all this to the shorter side of the field where the sideline becomes a friend to slower linebackers and such...

:goon: I know, I'm an old guy yelling at clouds, but none of those are complicated playcalls and all may help, but instead we get Nussed every week.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Or maybe he is the issue. Like you I believe that the problem is coaching but we have to consider the fact that maybe he lacks the intellectual capacity to play the position.
If that is the case, I still blame coaching because this staff recruited him like he was the savior.
If he is that slow then either we should not have recruited him or we should give him the Cam Newton Auburn playbook that consisted of 10-12 plays that were numbered versus containing lots of verbiage.
When he was playing for Auburn, Cam said his favorite play at Auburn was "#2" which calls for a QB draw.

Then again, maybe Nuss is not smart enough to figure this out

If Franks is that bad then he shouldn’t be starting. Put Zaire or Allen in

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Crickets are getting inside Nuss' head. They probly only have to use one leg on his brain..

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nuss blows. We can yell about limited playbook or what not all day, but there are effective plays we rarely see. For example:

1. Jet Sweeps- Remember how successful our first play was this year? Now picture Toney, BP, or Massey doing at least one a game...(and if you think you can't run it a ton until they stop you I present the LSU game). Also, you could fake the jet sweep and go up the middle as players cheat outside to stop the play.
  2. Quick Slants- I don't Franks has missed one of these yet and all have gone for at least 5. The closest miss was an in route where Hammond slipped/interfered with last game. More of these gets Franks in rhythm AND moves linebackers back which helps our running game.
  3. Fake Screen to Deep Pass- We run enough screens we should be able to teach FF to pump fake to a screen while another player slips behind the corners biting and hit them deep.
  4. ANY ROUTE ON THIRD DOWN PASSED THE STICKS- Sorry, but in 90+% of our passes on third downs we throw it short of the marker. Trust me this happens, I'd take a long post to give all the examples off of the top of my head.
  5. Drag route- "If he's even, he's leaving". That highlight against Ole Miss was not some super-special throw by WG, it was a 3 yard drag to a speedster and letting them run. We could easily have Toney/Massey/BP do this, but I at least haven't seen it (except for on like one thrid and long play :facepalm:)
  6. Rub routes- these are routes that by design get players open. Chris Doering took this coaching staff to task on the lack of these a few weeks back.
  7. QB Rollout with Short TE/Deep WR route- This has happened once, I think it was Moral Stephens first catch. This play gives the QB 4 options, TE/WR/Throwaway/Run. We've seen FF have some nice runs this season. Heck, he had a good one on a rollout against LSU.
  8. ANY RUN TO THE LONG SIDE OF THE FIELD- My personal pet peeve. We love to run to the outside to the short side of the field...tosses, sweeps, you name it. You run those to the long side because of the extra space...you want your guys to have space in order to mae guys miss and to utilize their speed. But, Nuss gets off on doing all this to the shorter side of the field where the sideline becomes a friend to slower linebackers and such...

:goon: I know, I'm an old guy yelling at clouds, but none of those are complicated playcalls and all may help, but instead we get Nussed every week.
You need to post more.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You are aware that BMF exhibits Dissociative Identity Disorder traits from time to time. If you see him posting on here occasionally as Jbossgator8, just don't make eye contact.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the compliment. I was recently invited here by BMF because of activity on another Board. I'm sometimes pumper, sometimes negaGator, depends on the situation and the context around it.

Logicality, a rare household in this neighborhood. Certainly welcome.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Franks is that bad then he shouldn’t be starting. Put Zaire or Allen in

Franks is the least bad QB we have.

- We saw Zaire against Michigan and it is not pretty
- Allen is six months out of high school and nowhere near ready to play

The problem is that Mac arrogantly proclaimed that Franks was his guy and that he would develop him into a top QB.
Not working out so well so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.