Who is our new coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I guess I don't understand what exactly Dan Mullen has done to warrant consideration.

He’s taken MSU from being the Kentucky of the West to the SC of the West.

He has made them less awful than they were. I’ll give him that. He has developed some great QBs. But he wasn’t embraced here even with Tebow and Meyer in the mix. He’s not the rising star we need.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This topic has been beat to death of this forum. But the chances of UF hiring an established coach from a top power 5 program are remote at best. It's almost like people forget the the two best football coaches in Gator history came from Duke and Utah.

Fortunately not everybody shares your defeatist opinion.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Campbell's soup and Patterson Bear aren't coming here. Funny how all these unattainable names come into play EVERY time. Frost or Norvell are already DONE deals...book it baby dolls!!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No matter what, someone somewhere is going to be unhappy with how we hire. WE just have to make sure that it is the right coached PICKED by SWAMP DONKEY so he doesn't cry for the next 3 years!!

jbaker07

Oct 15, 2017
Fortunately not everybody shares your defeatist opinion.

It's not defeatism, it's reality. When was the last time you saw an extremely successful coach voluntarily leave a top power 5 program to go to another college?

Take the current top 10 in the AP poll for example. Of those 10 coaches, only three; Brian Kelly, Paul Chryst, and James Franklin voluntarily left a P5 program to go to their current schools. Chryst left Pittsburgh where he had a 19-19 record, Kelly left Cincinnati where he did have an impressive 34-6 record, and Franklin left Vanderbilt with a 24-15 record (impressive for Vandy). However, I think most would agree that Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Vanderbilt are not top P5 programs. You can continue this same exercise for the rest of the AP top 25, and you will see this same trend continue.

There are only two ways that the Gators don't end up with an "up and comer" as the next HBC. The first is if Bob Stoops or Steve Spurrier want to come out of retirement. The second is if Chip Kelly is interested in coaching in Gainesville, and Stricklin is willing to overlook his dust up with the NCAA.

I suppose it's possible Stricklin could hire some hot-shot NFL assistant coach, but I doubt that is the route that he takes.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If I read correctly between the lines about what Scott Stricklin said in his press conference then Dan Mullen is not going to be the head coach at UF. Before discussing Mullen specifically, Stricklin said that one coach could be a good fit at one place (i.e. Mullen at Mississippi State) but not a good fit at another place (i.e. Mullen at Florida). Stricklin is a Mississippi State alum, but he's sharp enough to know that UF is not Mississippi State.

When asked specifically about his relationship with Dan Mullen, Stricklin only said Mullen has done a good job at MSU. He did not say Mullen would be one of the people he would be looking at. He did not even revert to his mantra of "I'm going to hire the best coach for the University of Florida" which could have possibly implied Mullen was on his list. No, he just said Mullen was a good coach for MSU and he was glad that his (Stricklin's) alma mater was having some success in football. Stricklin's body language said Mullen is staying in Starkville. At least to me it appeared that way.

Stricklin knows he's got to get this hire right. He knows if he hires Mullen and Mullen doesn't win the SEC than everybody will blame him for not having a larger perspective on making the right hire for Florida. The conventional wisdom would be Stricklin might hire Mullen because Stricklin knows Mullen and likes Mullen. I think that will turn out to be a reason Stricklin doesn't hire Mullen.

I agree with everything other than the part about Stricklin liking Mullen. I really don't think he does. Sounded to me like they had some disagreements and that Mullen was probably a little too "direct" than Stricklin might appreciate. Some of the writers who are predicting Mullen are just lazy. They go with the obvious choice because it's easier than actually doing their homework and listening to what Stricklin says and how he says it. Stricklin needs to get a homerun hire not a safe and predictable one. Having worked with Mullen he knows all about how he works and what he does. I don't think he believes Mullen fits that homerun criteria.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to know...SWAMP DONKEY...WHO is your pick or picks for Head Coach?? Who do you want and why??

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am guessing that SWAMP DONKEY won't name who he wants BUT will be very quick to cry, bytch, moan, and complain about how he doesn't like the new coach????

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am guessing that SWAMP DONKEY won't name who he wants BUT will be very quick to cry, bytch, moan, and complain about how he doesn't like the new coach????

Chill dude. He was right all along. Mac sucks. He's gone. Let's all move on from this terrible episode in Gator Football's history. Please.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is Babick avail?

I will only bytch if it's Mullens.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I have no idea and no opinion on who would be the best long-term, championship winning coach to fill the job. Ask the Head Ball Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.