Who is our new coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
The few Nimrods out there suggesting Mullen need to look at his record over the last 8 years. 29-64 in SEC play as a head coach with only one winning SEC season (2013). 6-21 against top 25 teams. Never won the SEC West or beaten Bama.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coaching wish list

1. Frost
2. Frost
3. Frost
4. Kelly
5. Gundy
6. Norvell

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I thought the low base salaries were because its the sponsors paying most of the coaches salary for doing commercials for them and all that stuff plus the advertising on the school's stuff. I don't think it has much to do with the buyout stuff.

In the past they were used to only pay fired coaches the base salary. Now maybe agents have put a stop to it, but I wonder what a court would say if he said he was still willing to provide the other services?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In the past they were used to only pay fired coaches the base salary. Now maybe agents have put a stop to it, but I wonder what a court would say if he said he was still willing to provide the other services?

I think its wrote up to be based on the real pay now legally.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm on-record: our new coach will be Bob Stoops, Charlie Strong, or Dan Mullen. I'm okay with any of those hires.

Punto evidently struck a chord with his trifecta. :lol:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
My first choice is Frost. He's hungry and he has something to prove. Kelly's a good coach but he's already proven himself and he doesn't need the money.

Yep. We should be "Something to prove U". Any coach with something to prove come to UF, we'll give you more money than you can imagine and several years to enjoy it after you've failed the test.

jbaker07

Oct 15, 2017
Yep. We should be "Something to prove U". Any coach with something to prove come to UF, we'll give you more money than you can imagine and several years to enjoy it after you've failed the test.

This topic has been beat to death of this forum. But the chances of UF hiring an established coach from a top power 5 program are remote at best. It's almost like people forget that the two best football coaches in Gator history came from Duke and Utah.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I don't understand what exactly Dan Mullen has done to warrant consideration.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
If I read correctly between the lines about what Scott Stricklin said in his press conference then Dan Mullen is not going to be the head coach at UF. Before discussing Mullen specifically, Stricklin said that one coach could be a good fit at one place (i.e. Mullen at Mississippi State) but not a good fit at another place (i.e. Mullen at Florida). Stricklin is a Mississippi State alum, but he's sharp enough to know that UF is not Mississippi State.

When asked specifically about his relationship with Dan Mullen, Stricklin only said Mullen has done a good job at MSU. He did not say Mullen would be one of the people he would be looking at. He did not even revert to his mantra of "I'm going to hire the best coach for the University of Florida" which could have possibly implied Mullen was on his list. No, he just said Mullen was a good coach for MSU and he was glad that his (Stricklin's) alma mater was having some success in football. Stricklin's body language said Mullen is staying in Starkville. At least to me it appeared that way.

Stricklin knows he's got to get this hire right. He knows if he hires Mullen and Mullen doesn't win the SEC than everybody will blame him for not having a larger perspective on making the right hire for Florida. The conventional wisdom would be Stricklin might hire Mullen because Stricklin knows Mullen and likes Mullen. I think that will turn out to be a reason Stricklin doesn't hire Mullen.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Anybody but Chip Kelly is a roll of the dice. Even Kelly is to a certain degree....not sure his offense would work against a Saban defense, but with the right players I think it could. He is THE splash hire that would fire up the fan base, excite recruits, and erase the misery that has been this decade.

No. He’s dirty and he’s marked for it. No way should UF hire a “show cause” guy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...larships-postseason-ban-recruiting-violations

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
I guess I don't understand what exactly Dan Mullen has done to warrant consideration.
He’s done well at a bottom of the barrel program as a HC and also orchestrated several NCs as OC at Florida.

I think that because folks don’t like Mullen they disregard his accomplishments. I get that he isn’t “elite” but I wouldn’t be upset if he were the guy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mullens got some factors working against him here, other than the obvious that he sucks. One, is stricklin really gonna rob his alma mater of their coach? Two, according to TOS some the higher ups were strongly against mullen. Three, do they want to deal with another strong ego'd guy thats gonna be set in his way after dealing with mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator