Will we break this streak?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think us Gator fans' real problem is that we are saturated up to our chins with low Offenses ...
and with seemingly swirling the drain with rinsed off incoming recruits. The "right-direction" stuff
has to start showing now - vs lowly UK.

Time for these Gator coaches, this Gator team better start causing worries for folks other
than GatorNation.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I see a staggering amount of people here who still don't grasp just how bad the situation was at OL and QB last year. And that's weird, because I know you all watched the same games I did. When you have an OL that gives up the most sacks in the country and a QB who can't see over the line or hit a receiver standing two feet away, you aren't going to score points.

Making it to Atlanta was damn near a miracle, even with the East being as bad as it was.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm confused. :bandit:
Didn't CJ McWilliams get hurt in camp and was probably going to redshirt anyway as he was only 160lbs? I don't think he played in the first game and I'm pretty sure they have a RS all lined up for him. Burnett will play ahead of CJ. Are you guys actually talking about Chris Williamson, the Sophomore CB?

I don't know. One of the two. Two kids that shouldn't be on scholarship.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I think us Gator fans' real problem is that we are saturated up to our chins with low Offenses ...
and with seemingly swirling the drain with rinsed off incoming recruits. The "right-direction" stuff
has to start showing now - vs lowly UK.

Time for these Gator coaches, this Gator team better start causing worries for folks other
than GatorNation.

Rog, after Saturday I think we'll be proud
of our offense. It will be hot but I hope
there will be no rain. I think Saturday will
answer a lot of questions.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree about Williamson - I think he's gonna be alright. I thought he played pretty well in the O&B game. He played CB for the first time in a game last week and hopefully learned a thing or two.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree about Williamson - I think he's gonna be alright. I thought he played pretty well in the O&B game. He played CB for the first time in a game last week and hopefully learned a thing or two.

I hope you're right.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope you're right.
giphy.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This. Nothing wrong with those kids, but we don't need mediocre DBs lined up six deep. We already have too many, like Fulwood and Chris Thompson, that can't get on the field because there are too many other DBs in the way on that side of the field.

Seriously, we've had countless All SEC DBs that were converted receivers. There is zero reason to constantly load up on DBs just because we can't get anyone else interested in us. I'd rather take some South Central Houston Baptist School of Welding type OL or NGs instead. If it's not Lito Shepard/VH3 caliper (lol) kid, we shouldn't be wasting schollies on DBs.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Only a small amount of this is over the performance against UMass. It's about recruiting. If Mac had been pulling in Top 5 classes, which is what Spurrier, Zook, and Meyer did regularly, the future would look bright. The fact is, it doesn't. It takes years to develop even the best athletes, and we simply aren't getting them. Florida kids are choosing either FSU or to leave the state. I never thought I'd see that happen.

Someone like Saban is a great coach, but even he needs great talent to win championships.

Spurrier built the foundation and the walls, and made Florida dominant. Zook and even Meyer benefited from what Spurrier built, but even the end of Meyers stint was the beginning of a 6 year shyt show that have crumbled the walls Spurrier built.

Mac's got it tough - much tougher than Zook or Meyer. He gave a "glimmer" of what could be last year, and is benefiting this year - but not enough.

Out talent on the field is weak - weakest it's been in a long time. That's not Mac's fault. I want him to overachieve with that talent (show he's a good coach who can develop) and make Florida football fun again for kids to want to be a part of.

We aren't winning any 'ships this year...win hearts of kids.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Out talent on the field is weak - weakest it's been in a long time. That's not Mac's fault.
With all due respect, I simply disagree. To completely absolve Mac and staff of any responsibility of our weak talent is silly. Are we going to play this game for years (blaming the former coach) like we did with Muschamp before we finally had to come to terms with the fact that he wasn't the answer?

I'm not saying pull the plug on Mac (it's too early), but let's not sugarcoat the truth. The staff did a lousy job on that last recruiting class.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
With all due respect, I simply disagree. To completely absolve Mac and staff of any responsibility of our weak talent is silly. Are we going to play this game for years (blaming the former coach) like we did with Muschamp before we finally had to come to terms with the fact that he wasn't the answer?

I'm not saying pull the plug on Mac (it's too early), but let's not sugarcoat the truth. The staff did a lousy job on that last recruiting class.

No complete absolution at all - this year needs to be much better on the trail. Has to be. But even if it was a great class, the team on the field are not his players, except JUCO transfers (:facepalm: Massey) and a couple who are probably not ready.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No complete absolution at all - this year needs to be much better on the trail. Has to be. But even if it was a great class, the team on the field are not his players, except JUCO transfers :)facepalm: Massey) and a couple who are probably not ready.
BNA, be honest: If we had hired Petrino, where would we be right this moment? In a better or worse position?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Was Foley involved in the raises and contract extensions to those coaches who many are now
saying they will not take us to "Gator glory" ? If they are not good recruiters nor good at coaching,
why extend GatorNation's misery?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's a good question about Petrino. I'd take him in a minute.

But let's say Mac had a lights out recruiting year last year. How many would be starters? The talent on the field is 80% or more what he was left with. As far as last year's class goes, their one game in. How do know they aren't good? I do agree that the average star ranking needs to be higher this year.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BNA, be honest: If we had hired Petrino, where would we be right this moment? In a better or worse position?

Maybe. Maybe not. Ifs and buts and all that. I want to see where we are after UT to make a call on this season.

However, every time I see Macs face I don't want to punch it. I can't say the same for Petrino.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe. Maybe not. Ifs and buts and all that. I want to see where we are after UT to make a call on this season.

However, every time I see Macs face I don't want to punch it. I can't say the same for Petrino.
You wouldn't want to punch Petrino when we're putting up 50 a game and landing Heisman-quality skill players. Even his biggest haters would come around quickly.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
But let's say Mac had a lights out recruiting year last year. How many would be starters? The talent on the field is 80% or more what he was left with. As far as last year's class goes, their one game in. How do know they aren't good? I do agree that the average star ranking needs to be higher this year.
If Mac had landed a Top 5 class last year we wouldn't be having this conversation and I wouldn't have even brought up Petrino. The future would look bright.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014

Hand him some toothpaste maybe, but not punch him

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator