WM and Driskel Talk The Read Option

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Jeff still has a lot of gains to pick up from the "new better" QB coaching he' now getting. Real game film study
makes for real learning progress. I think Driskel (because of physical realities) is nearing the better part of the
learning curve and wil click "it" soon.

Look at what we have: Dunbar was the good WR; now we have a doubly better addition in Robinson. Soon
Fulwood will pay off. Then Jeff will see and pass better ( that'd be better than 295 yards). If coaches can start
working in adequate TE, passing drives will be so much smoother. We have a 100+ yard run buster plus what
change-o-style Taylor will add.

Also, notice our good depth. Kelvin's back was hurt by that blatant helmet spearing on the ground, so we had
to totally turn to an unspelled RB (Jones) who got more than 150 yards, straight thru them.

What is really missing is better OL pass blocking to give JD & WRs the seconds they need. What is really
missing is the run of the run-option, where JD uses his surprising speed to punish those collapsing defenses.

Don't know how many developmental games we are away from that total arsenal, but Roper will bring it along.
An ace up the sleeve is line o scrimmage plays of getting the ball into Debose's hands out in daylight.

Truly, we have a lot to feel "ready" about finishing strong. We just have to watch the increments of improvement.

That Kentucky game was a fluke, with punt-like floater passes coming down soft & easy as long completions
that allowed 2 TD drives to occur. With those covered, regulation score Gators 20-7 or 27-more to 7 due to taking
over more drives to allow us to score more.

Mainly, by Driskel's natural rhythm, the OL must give him more time to set up his mind to fire it. His long overthrows
are generated by his nervous urge that he's about to be hit and not get it off. IMHO.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BMF said:
Well, it would seem that ALL of the plays that LOOK like a zone read....he should have that "option" to keep it. It was sickening seeing the open space he would have had if he kept the ball. It's unreal the missed opportunities.

You HAVE to think this is something that gets corrected this week. If not, we're dealing w/ a retard for a coach too.
Me too. That's why I fired off w/ the smart ass comment. Our "fans" are the best!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Captain Sasquatch said:
BMF;n51698 said:
Well, it would seem that ALL of the plays that LOOK like a zone read....he should have that "option" to keep it. It was sickening seeing the open space he would have had if he kept the ball. It's unreal the missed opportunities.

You HAVE to think this is something that gets corrected this week. If not, we're dealing w/ a retard for a coach too.

You ever watch a QB hand the ball off and then drop back like he's going to pass the ball even though he doesn't have it? Ever watch a running back continue running on a playaction play like he's got the ball? Ever watch a play where there's a handoff and then the QB fakes a handoff to a receiver coming around like it's a reverse? All are the exact same concept as Driskel faking the read option. It keeps the defense honest, so that when he finally does keep the ball, it looks no different than the times he doesn't have the ball. If he just handed the ball off and stood there, he wouldn't be fooling anyone when he finally pulled the ball out and ran around the end.
If that helps you sleep at night....

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar said:
Jeff still has a lot of gains to pick up from the "new better" QB coaching he' now getting. Real game film study
makes for real learning progress. I think Driskel (because of physical realities) is nearing the better part of the
learning curve and wil click "it" soon.

Look at what we have: Dunbar was the good WR; now we have a doubly better addition in Robinson. Soon
Fulwood will pay off. Then Jeff will see and pass better ( that'd be better than 295 yards). If coaches can start
working in adequate TE, passing drives will be so much smoother. We have a 100+ yard run buster plus what
change-o-style Taylor will add.

Also, notice our good depth. Kelvin's back was hurt by that blatant helmet spearing on the ground, so we had
to totally turn to an unspelled RB (Jones) who got more than 150 yards, straight thru them.

What is really missing is better OL pass blocking to give JD & WRs the seconds they need. What is really
missing is the run of the run-option, where JD uses his surprising speed to punish those collapsing defenses.

Don't know how many developmental games we are away from that total arsenal, but Roper will bring it along.
An ace up the sleeve is line o scrimmage plays of getting the ball into Debose's hands out in daylight.

Truly, we have a lot to feel "ready" about finishing strong. We just have to watch the increments of improvement.

That Kentucky game was a fluke, with punt-like floater passes coming down soft & easy as long completions
that allowed 2 TD drives to occur. With those covered, regulation score Gators 20-7 or 27-more to 7 due to taking
over more drives to allow us to score more.

Mainly, by Driskel's natural rhythm, the OL must give him more time to set up his mind to fire it. His long overthrows
are generated by his nervous urge that he's about to be hit and not get it off. IMHO.
I hear you and agree with your growth potential being somewhere around the corner and next year. But really, Jeff could have finished tea and a biscuit on his two overthrows. My opinion is he just chucks it with some air in hopes his receiver can run under it instead of vector awareness of the speed he called in the huddle. I'm thinking he is still at game 2 in the new offense and his brighter games are coming... hopefully. Go Gators!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n52189 said:
Funny how a certain portion of our fanbase is never satisfied. Keep pushing the expectations to fit the current agenda.
Yeah, 3 points in the first half VERSUS KENTUCKY was quite stellar. 20 points in the game is a resume bullet for sure.

Amazing how people complain about his ongoing Heisman performance.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n52422 said:
Yeah, 3 points in the first half VERSUS KENTUCKY was quite stellar. 20 points in the game is a resume bullet for sure.

Amazing how people complain about his ongoing Heisman performance.

So what about the passes he threw on 3rd down that hit receivers in the hands and were dropped? That happened like what, three times? Those Driskel's fault, too? Are we also pretending the 2nd have and overtime never happened?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure all the other misses were caused by groundskeeper not mowing the grass properly and forcing Driskel to throw the ball into the sideline or overthrow.

It's literally EVERYONE else's fault that Driskel has sucked consistently for 3 years.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n52431 said:
I'm pretty sure all the other misses were caused by groundskeeper not mowing the grass properly and forcing Driskel to throw the ball into the sideline or overthrow.

It's literally EVERYONE else's fault that Driskel has sucked consistently for 3 years.

Nobody has denied that Driskel played poorly in the first half, but you're putting the entire sloppy performance at his feet and not giving him a shred of credit for turning it around. That's the difference between you and the so-called "pumpers." We're more than willing to level constructive criticism when it's due, and you're not even willing to give the tiniest amount of credit when it's due.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;52433 said:
Law98gator;n52431 said:
I'm pretty sure all the other misses were caused by groundskeeper not mowing the grass properly and forcing Driskel to throw the ball into the sideline or overthrow. It's literally EVERYONE else's fault that Driskel has sucked consistently for 3 years.
Nobody has denied that Driskel played poorly in the first half, but you're putting the entire sloppy performance at his feet and not giving him a shred of credit for turning it around. That's the difference between you and the so-called "pumpers." We're more than willing to level constructive criticism when it's due, and you're not even willing to give the tiniest amount of credit when it's due.
This is what law does. I know you know you are fighting a losing battle

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know you know he knows he is fighting a losing battle.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n52484 said:
LUTst1.gif
Diarrhea time!

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
I don't understand why we're bitching about driskel and the offense? It's nothing new and driskel is the best we have. We all knew we'd have to lean on our defense. My biggest concern is our secondary. Did anyone miss how bad everyone but Keanu Neal and hargraves was?
Neal had some great plays, but some bad mistakes as well

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
I don't understand why we're bitching about driskel and the offense? It's nothing new and driskel is the best we have. We all knew we'd have to lean on our defense. My biggest concern is our secondary. Did anyone miss how bad everyone but Keanu Neal and hargraves was?
Very true but atleast he showed the ability to turn around and make a play on the ball. Well Poole did on one play aswell

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n52214 said:
The secondary had a bad game like you say but in regards to Driskel many people think we would probably be better off some games down the road if we moved on because it appears he will never get it at this point.

The only time that would make since is if the season wasn't salvageable. Should we just give up on the season after two games? I think his record as a starter vs us without him speaks for itself. He gives us the best chance to win.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Gator Fever;n52214 said:
The secondary had a bad game like you say but in regards to Driskel many people think we would probably be better off some games down the road if we moved on because it appears he will never get it at this point.

The only time that would make since is if the season wasn't salvageable. Should we just give up on the season after two games? I think his record as a starter vs us without him speaks for itself. He gives us the best chance to win.
Sharrif Floyd and Gilly had good records as a starter. Driskel, Clay Burton and all the other guys on offense just watched.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Gator Fever;n52214 said:

So driskel watched Floyd and gilly complete make a couple clutch throws against anm Tennessee fsu. Do we beat vandy that year without driskel?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
TallyGator;n51955 said:
Don't let your eyes deceive you. You see it live or on television...it is bad decisions by the guy with the ball...the play sucks when a better decision would have gained something. Then, a day or two later, another person tries to temper, or change, what you saw with your own eyes. I am now convinced that Will Muschamp does not possess the right set of tools to be a successful head coach and Jeff Driskel cannot be a successful D-1 quarterback.

So it's a bad decision when he runs the play the coach called and handed the ball off like he was supposed to? Because it seems as if you're just flat out accusing them of lying when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as far as what plays are being called. Unless you somehow tapped into their radio frequency on the headsets and know UF's playbook.
"We had a couple keeps that I felt like he could’ve kept on some plays in the zone read that he didn’t," coach Will Muschamp said Monday.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n52211 said:
Are you kidding about 08 - we were smoking good SEC defenses that season and in 07. I don't remember much talk at all saying things like that. Now in 09 when we couldn't score against the decent SEC defenses and kept running dive play after dive play people were ticked off despite the winning prior to Bama beating us.
I used to have the picture saved from that 08 season where it was a board with a spinner on it as florida's play call sheet. It was Tebow left, Tebow up the middle, Tebow right, then like 3 different options to Harvin. I wish i still had it but It was posted a bunch during the 08 season on GSMB becuase despite our success we didn't spread the ball around enough. Trust me there were posters not happy during the 08 season. It was a minority but that is the point...there is always going to be a group of fans that are going to bitch about something even in the best of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator