Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Too many vowels. All that is going to do is confirm that, yes indeed, the word has vowels. The thing is that all words have vowels so if you pick a starting word that only has a couple of vowels, even if none of them show up in the puzzle its telling you that the other vowels do show up. Normally if you can figure out the consonants quickly the vowels just fall in place.

was the answer RATED?
I believe it was RETARDED

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Too many vowels. All that is going to do is confirm that, yes indeed, the word has vowels. The thing is that all words have vowels so if you pick a starting word that only has a couple of vowels, even if none of them show up in the puzzle its telling you that the other vowels do show up. Normally if you can figure out the consonants quickly the vowels just fall in place.

I would disagree in the sense that either method has its positives and negatives. As you said, it is guaranteed that at least one of those six vowels is in the word - in the vowel heavy approach, after the second guess I know all the vowels. Their arrangement gives clues as well - pointing to or eliminating certain letters, narrowing down your guesses quickly.

Of course you can get something like _ATCH on your second guess, and not get it right without doing a "consonant dump" word because BCHLMPW all work.

Looking at the analytics you posted, a lot of people go with the vowel-heavy approach to start. Be interesting if you could learn which approach is more successful. Either way you,re playing the odds depending on the word.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

was the answer RATED?
I figured you would start with either CRAYN or CRYON :dunno:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks, that was helpful since I only had the U. How about a spoiler alert next time?
Yeah, I thought "maybe it's too early" and then thought "F it, Zambo did the same damn thing with his analytics post the other day!" :lol:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
It's part of my morning routine and have done it with various friends over the years.

I usually try and rotate opening two words with a mix of popular vowels and consonants "bread" or "shale" are two words I use a lot on the opening round before rotating in "pours" etc. I've noticed that Wordle tends to rotate things--so on days where "e" and "a" are heavily used, the next day, the word will have different vowels "i, o, u" etc. It's been a useful hack.

Screenshot_20240116_141131_Chrome.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
WordleBot rates SLATE as 99/100 for skill, the highest score it awards. However, it gives the same ranking to CRANE, CRATE, SLANT, TRACE and CARTE, so any of those six would be a great choice of Wordle starting word. Alternatively, researchers at MIT have calculated that the best word to start Wordle is SALET

I guess I've been going about it all wrong because I assumed it would be best to find out which vowels are in the word first. :dunno:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
WordleBot rates SLATE as 99/100 for skill, the highest score it awards. However, it gives the same ranking to CRANE, CRATE, SLANT, TRACE and CARTE, so any of those six would be a great choice of Wordle starting word. Alternatively, researchers at MIT have calculated that the best word to start Wordle is SALET

I guess I've been going about it all wrong because I assumed it would be best to find out which vowels are in the word first. :dunno:
Jusssssst GREAT! F'n "experts"!!!!!
slate.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.