ZERO points by offense

Gatorsko

Nov 6, 2016
It's getting to a point where I'm embarrassed to put on the orange and blue on a Saturday. What's worse is that you can actually see the improvement with UK and Vanderbilt... And they may actually be better than us.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
10 quarters since our offense has scored a touchdown on the clowns.

8 teams scored more points against the clowns this year than we did.

0 offensive touchdowns vs the pigs. 2 vs the chimps. 1 vs the corn dogs. And 0 vs the clowns. Less than 1 td average per game in our last four games.

Completely and utterly inexcusable no matter what is in the cupboard. Fire this assclown now. He is a bumbling fool. I am beyond sick of watching damn near a decade of pathetic, inept, clueless offense.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm ok saying this. But I'd follow it with two questions:

What did we expect from a coach who inherited 1 true QB, 1 true RB, average WRs and total 6 OL?

Right now, who do we hire to replace him?

I'm open to suggestions, but at this point, I don't see a clear cut solution. We have have a talent issue. We have a state of Fl momentum issue. We let it get to this point, and watched competent coaches go elsewhere. Not sure there's a realistic solution right now.
For one, I was expecting a SO or RF or FR QB at this point.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some people don't like to face reality and fail to see what's right in front of them...GatorNation is full of these types and most will continue to defend Butters right up until the day he's fired. Smh!
Pumper will be back in force by Tuesday proclaiming the 108th ranked offense is the way to the promised land.

veroG8tr

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2014
I do not understand how people could actually watch these games and not see what it right in front of their eyes. Even with orange and blues glasses on, it is obvious that we have no clue what we are doing offensively. Mac is to blame for the criticism he gets when his arrogant azz said he could run the offense with his "dog Claribelle". He set the expectations and should not be snarky with reporters or fans who question the poor product he owns on the field. It is classless. He is getting paid millions. If I performed on my job this poorly I would be canned. Winning the east right now is like winning the tallest midget competition. Sadly, it is probably the worst thing that has happened to us. Because if he does not turn this offensive sh$t show around we will be stuck with this crap for years; because he is the only coach in history that has gone to the SEC Championship in their first two years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Right now, who do we hire to replace him?
This is the mindset that got us in this place.

No, there is no midmajor or lower coach available who seems likely to win at the next level whom no one else is trying to hire (bc we won't get in a bidding contest).

I agree I wouldn't fire him right now, I'd make him go hire a competent staff so he has no excuses. Everyone except the RB coach should go on offense.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Some people don't like to face reality and fail to see what's right in front of them...GatorNation is full of these types and most will continue to defend Butters right up until the day he's fired. Smh!

As one who typically falls into that group, I'll also admit that the WM years have scarred many of us deeper than we can recover from. While Mac's teams have shown flashes of offense better than WM ever offered up, we have been shown a prime example of what it is like to 'not get it done'. Mac's staff ain't gettin' it done. We need to change staff, a lot, and give them '17 to make some improvement. The drawback there is that if we cycle through the offensive staff they would likely get '17 as well as '18 to show improvement (get their players and system in place).

I'm not going to defend Mac to the end. He needs to make changes now. His grace period ends next year with this staff, or '18 with a changed out staff.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is the mindset that got us in this place.

No, there is no midmajor or lower coach available who seems likely to win at the next level whom no one else is trying to hire (bc we won't get in a bidding contest).

I agree I wouldn't fire him right now, I'd make him go hire a competent staff so he has no excuses. Everyone except the RB coach should go on offense.

Not exactly. What got us here is a clueless AD who hung on too long because he couldn't see through the mess that was right in front of him. We had a legit shot at Franklin in 2013, and opted instead to "give it one more year". Can't even count how many times people asked "he won 11 games last year, what's wrong with giving it one more season?". Well, now you see what so many of us were afraid of.

But my question of who do we get wasn't a statement, nor was it rhetorical. I'm ok with the idea of lining up names for what looks like the inevitable. But I don't see anyone that's a slam dunk right now. I've seen you throw out Fedora, Petrino, etc. But we'd be in full meltdown mode if were in UL or UNC's shoes the past few days. Those guys, imo, are proven to be good but not great. I don't see that as something to get excited about.

Like you, I'm also ok with giving Mac another year, especially with a kid like Franks, because I still think he was handed an absolutely putrid hand. While he has to own much of the issues, based on wins and losses, we're still probably way ahead of where we thought we'd be. And as has been mentioned, the whole "it's been 6+ years" mindset is dangerous. Making an ill-advised move now because we're pissed about the last one, won't solve anything. I'm not hopeful about 2017, but he's done enough to get 3 years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not exactly. What got us here is a clueless AD who hung on too long because he couldn't see through the mess that was right in front of him. We had a legit shot at Franklin in 2013, and opted instead to "give it one more year". Can't even count how many times people asked "he won 11 games last year, what's wrong with giving it one more season?". Well, now you see what so many of us were afraid of.

But my question of who do we get wasn't a statement, nor was it rhetorical. I'm ok with the idea of lining up names for what looks like the inevitable. But I don't see anyone that's a slam dunk right now. I've seen you throw out Fedora, Petrino, etc. But we'd be in full meltdown mode if were in UL or UNC's shoes the past few days. Those guys, imo, are proven to be good but not great. I don't see that as something to get excited about.

Like you, I'm also ok with giving Mac another year, especially with a kid like Franks, because I still think he was handed an absolutely putrid hand. While he has to own much of the issues, based on wins and losses, we're still probably way ahead of where we thought we'd be. And as has been mentioned, the whole "it's been 6+ years" mindset is dangerous. Making an ill-advised move now because we're pissed about the last one, won't solve anything. I'm not hopeful about 2017, but he's done enough to get 3 years.
I don't know what you mean by "what so many of us were afraid of" as if I was on the Chimp train. I was screaming about OL recruiting while most of you called me insane and calling for us to move on from Chimp when it became obvious in 2012 that he was clueless about offense and what it takes to win.

By this is the mindset, I mean we have to pick our target, the way Alabama and Michigan did and make it happen no matter what. Not just looking at the Sunbelt and WAC and picking the best out of the cheap options while declaring everyone else "unavailable".

I'm not in love with either Fedora or Petrino, or really anyone else, by any means. I do like what I see from Petrino's offense, at times, always have been, but he's always been inconsistent on offense and terrible on defense. I'd also prefer not having a scumbag as a coach. Fedora I just like, that's all. He was the bright spot on a bad staff. And he is a proven recruiter, not some hayseed that no one in the state even knows, including the HS coaches. Doc Holliday used to say that we recruit the coaches as hard as the kids.

None are even close to the homerrun hire we need. However, I'm not an AD with the connections that a good AD should have capable of assessing which of the guys we might target may consider an offer for reasons that may not be public.

Unfortunately, I don't see any homerrun hires out there and when one pops up, there will be much competition. This year Herman was far from a homerrun hire with several stupid losses to far less talented teams yet several teams were bidding for him regardless.

Honestly, I'm numb now. Just don't care. Ten years of decay (at least, it's really been a 25 year decay with respect to facilities) makes us unattractive even if we were willing to swing for the fences next time.

I don't even see a way out of this mess.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Would anyone want grass eater if he vowed to change the offense and hired a good OC?

Gatorsko

Nov 6, 2016
Can you believe this?

Mac asked about watching Bama film: "Well, since getting off the bus to now there's only been a few times I've become violently ill"

He obviously hasn't been watching film on his offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grasseater already did the Hire an OC to Open It Up trick. It lasted about three months. Then he returned to 1960s Michigan ball.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Grasseater already did the Hire an OC to Open It Up trick. It lasted about three months. Then he returned to 1960s Michigan ball.

Like I said, I dont want him. There are still people here that want Kiffen so I dont think its unreasonable to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.