“Bye, Bye Barry” Dropped on Prime Today - Barry Sanders

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sanders is probably the best running back of all time. Payton is the best all-around back. Emmitt? He lasted longer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite Lion besides Karras and Plimpton is Milt Plum. He played quarterback, defensive back, punter and kicker.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sanders is probably the best running back of all time. Payton is the best all-around back. Emmitt? He lasted longer.

'78 this statement is a little contradictory. How can Payton be the best all-around back but not the best back. I will agree the argument could be made that the best open field runners at the running back position is Barry or Gayle Sayers... But the best back has to be the one that is the best at all parts of the position. Which isn't a knock on Barry, just in their offense it wasn't set up for certain parts and play-off football.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
'78 this statement is a little contradictory. How can Payton be the best all-around back but not the best back. I will agree the argument could be made that the best open field runners at the running back position is Barry or Gayle Sayers... But the best back has to be the one that is the best at all parts of the position. Which isn't a knock on Barry, just in their offense it wasn't set up for certain parts and play-off football.

What I meant was pure runner. Sanders was the most difficult to tackle because of his remarkable combination of shiftiness and speed. Payton was obviously an exceptional runner, but he was also a tremendous blocker, pass catcher and even passer. He could do it all.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What I meant was pure runner. Sanders was the most difficult to tackle because of his remarkable combination of shiftiness and speed. Payton was obviously an exceptional runner, but he was also a tremendous blocker, pass catcher and even passer. He could do it all.

Fully agree, the best open field runners I've ever seen at the position was Barry Sanders and Gayle Sayers.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fully agree, the best open field runners I've ever seen at the position was Barry Sanders and Gayle Sayers.

Impressive that you would include Sayers in the discussion. He played a long time go and not that long. He was the most gifted open-field runner I've ever seen. He was only runner who could change directions at full speed, which may not sound like much but it is.

Think of Sanders as a jitterbug. Think of Sayers as an antelope, a guy with breathtaking speed who could turn on a dime. I'm so lucky to have seen in person his last few carries before the career-altering knee injury. He was never the same after.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
They went 10-6 and 9-7 those 2 seasons. I'm not saying they would have won a single playoff game, but they would have been a very different team with either of those quarterbacks.
They may have won a playoff game or two, but they weren't beating teams like the Redskins at that time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Impressive that you would include Sayers in the discussion. He played a long time go and not that long. He was the most gifted open-field runner I've ever seen. He was only runner who could change directions at full speed, which may not sound like much but it is.

Think of Sanders as a jitterbug. Think of Sayers as an antelope, a guy with breathtaking speed who could turn on a dime. I'm so lucky to have seen in person his last few carries before the career-altering knee injury. He was never the same after.
Would you be kind enough to give a first hand opinion on Bronco Nagurski, Jim Thorpe and some of the other guys who played before TV?

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Honestly from the title I thought this thread was going to be about Barry Bonds keeling over from steroids or something....But it turned out to be about the Lions sucking as always.
1700699614196.png

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Would you be kind enough to give a first hand opinion on Bronco Nagurski, Jim Thorpe and some of the other guys who played before TV?

You'll need to talk to one of the younger posters. They came after me.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Scott Mitchell sounds unhinged. Lol
When he stepped in for Dan Marino in 93, Mitchell won some games for the Dolphins but after posting a 9-2 record, they ended the season on a 5 game losing streak.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Yea, Emmitt just hung around until you needed a 1st down, touchdown or super bowl or three.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
423415692c8a9c609a2a9b864469d969.jpg

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
What great wall did Emmitt run behind at Florida? If you have a 2 pt lead with 5 to go and you need to grind, which back to you want in your back field?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well, we might not all agree on who the best running back is but one thing I think everyone does agree on is the Lions absolutely suck. I watched them play yesterday just to see if anything ever changes with them...it doesn't....they still suck.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Well, we might not all agree on who the best running back is but one thing I think everyone does agree on is the Lions absolutely suck. I watched them play yesterday just to see if anything ever changes with them...it doesn't....they still suck.
They've been very good all season but have laid two absolute stinkers this season, yesterday was one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator