“Bye, Bye Barry” Dropped on Prime Today - Barry Sanders

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Done very similar to Swamp Kings, but covers his career and why he retired with his participation throughout.

Well worth the watch.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I hope he's at peace with knowing he gave up being the all-time rushing king of the NFL forever. What he didn't give up is being the only other running back besides Jim Brown to average 5 yards a carry for his career, something that surely would have fallen had he continued and worn down.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Wow - I didn’t realize how pitiful Sanders’ stats were in the playoffs
Yep - gotta be Mitchell’s fault

“Sanders had 13 carries for negative-one rushing yard in the Lions' 16-12 wild card loss to the Green Bay Packers, and in the ‘95 and ’97 wild card games, he combined for 105 yards on 28 carries”

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

“Sanders had 13 carries for negative-one rushing yard in the Lions' 16-12 wild card loss to the Green Bay Packers, and in the ‘95 and ’97 wild card games, he combined for 105 yards on 28 carries”
I don’t think Mitchell is even mentioned in the 1.5 hours. There’s one scene where Wayne Fontes told Barry in recent years that he wanted Joe Montana (went to Chiefs) or Warren Moon, but GM said “too old.” I remember Mitchell throwing 5 interceptions a playoff game. When the Lions let Glover and Lomas Brown go, it was over.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Done very similar to Swamp Kings, but covers his career and why he retired with his participation throughout.

Well worth the watch.
My all time favorite NFL player. What he did on the field was mind bending at times.

The interesting thing is he had a lot of carries for negative yards or 1 or 2, and then he'd pop off a run for 40, 80, etc.

One of my brothers and I were discussing if Barry was the GOAT or Jim Brown. Hard to pick one. But Barry was just so fun to watch.

And Mitchell was a bum. Unfortunately Lomas said he once whiffed on a block to get Mitchell hurt.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yeah, this is bizarre. I just watched it, and Mitchell's name is not mentioned. This dude is mentally ill.
Same... didn't mention any of the QB's names. He's butt hurt because yes, if Detroit would have nabbed Montana (or even Moon) rather than him going to KC in '93 (and the AFC Championship), Mitchell would have at best been on the bench. Detroit still had Glover and Lomas on the line for 93 and 94 seasons. They still had Moore and Perriman as receivers. Had Detroit nabbed either Montana or Moon, those probably would have been Barry's greatest two years.

But alas, it was Detroit, where GMs/ownership brought #1 draft pics to die.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I hope he's at peace with knowing he gave up being the all-time rushing king of the NFL forever. What he didn't give up is being the only other running back besides Jim Brown to average 5 yards a carry for his career, something that surely would have fallen had he continued and worn down.
His rookie season, he also gave up the NFL rushing crown. Fontes and the players begged him to go back in to get the I think 5 yards he needed.

That was kind of the point of the whole 90 minutes: that if you had studied Barry Sanders going back to his childhood, his walking away when he did should not have been a surprise to anyone.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Am I just old or are the days of ankle breaking running backs now much rarer than years ago. It seems that the speed and athleticism of the linebackers and secondary, limit backs to one move and then it's over. Yeah there are spectacular plays. But the group of spectacular backs is not what it once was.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Barry was a great talent with a sus team around him. I get that Mitchell is sick of being blamed for Barry not winning a Super Bowl. If I were the QB there for a number of years and people were constantly blabbing about the team, QB, line, etc not being good enough to win it all I would tell all yall to FO too.

Barry's stats for average were good, but if I needed a 4th and 1, he wouldn't be on speed dial.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Barry like Jim Brown was smart. Walked away while he could still walk. He had nothing to prove. He was great.
I wonder how Emmitt's health is now. He had a lot of carries in the NFL but he seemed to go down smart. And never take really nasty shots without being ready.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My all time favorite NFL player. What he did on the field was mind bending at times.

The interesting thing is he had a lot of carries for negative yards or 1 or 2, and then he'd pop off a run for 40, 80, etc.

One of my brothers and I were discussing if Barry was the GOAT or Jim Brown. Hard to pick one. But Barry was just so fun to watch.

And Mitchell was a bum. Unfortunately Lomas said he once whiffed on a block to get Mitchell hurt.

And unfortunately his comment will most likely keep him out of the Hall of Fame. His stats warrant inclusion but he took a huge hit when he made his revelation.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Barry like Jim Brown was smart. Walked away while he could still walk. He had nothing to prove. He was great.
I wonder how Emmitt's health is now. He had a lot of carries in the NFL but he seemed to go down smart. And never take really nasty shots without being ready.
Earl Campbell 11 years ago... rides a scooter now. I'll never forget the first time I showed Son #1 Earl Campbell highlights, he couldn't believe it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Had Montana or Moon been QB for those teams, they still wouldn't have won the Super Bowl. They didn't have enough talent, especially defensively.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Had Montana or Moon been QB for those teams, they still wouldn't have won the Super Bowl. They didn't have enough talent, especially defensively.
They went 10-6 and 9-7 those 2 seasons. I'm not saying they would have won a single playoff game, but they would have been a very different team with either of those quarterbacks.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Reading all these comments are before my time not that I even cared much if they were but a lot of everyone's comments got me thinking...

Are hard hits really necessary in football?

I mean the goal is to tackle the person with the ball. Are the hard hits more indicative of a certain personality or is there a better/smarter way to play?

I understand it's a physical game but is the over the top stuff (playing to hurt the guy) necessary?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Reading all these comments are before my time not that I even cared much if they were but a lot of everyone's comments got me thinking...

Are hard hits really necessary in football?

I mean the goal is to tackle the person with the ball. Are the hard hits more indicative of a certain personality or is there a better/smarter way to play?

I understand it's a physical game but is the over the top stuff (playing to hurt the guy) necessary?

A few Hard hits are necessary, but not always the best way to hit. Getting a sure tackle is always the best way. But a good hard hit energizes the entire team and crowd. When you are the one that lays out the other player, it's like a frenzy.

Football especially on defense is a game of controlled aggression.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Then I amend my previous post
Still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator