12 team playoff

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Eight years in and haven’t had a single 4-team playoff that didn’t feature a blowout, indicating team X had no business in the championship discussion. So we add even more teams that meet that description.
That's called, "playing the result." The fact that a team loses one game in a blowout doesn't mean they were totally outmatched and had no business being on the field with the other team.

When two teams have been playing at high levels without experiencing much adversity, sometimes it doesn't take much for one team to shatter the mental confidence of the other, resulting in a blowout despite the teams being evenly matched on talent.

After the 1996 season we beat FSU to win the Natty in a 52-20 blowout that wasn't even as close as the score indicated. It's hard to argue that FSU had no business being on the field with us, considering that they beat us just over a month earlier.

"Playing the result" is the same thing that people do when they argue that there's no need to expand the playoffs because there are never more than two truly "championship-caliber" teams in the first place. Yeah, that's the point!

The purpose of expanding beyond four teams is to break the cycle of only a handful of perennial top teams -- namely, Alabama, Clemson, tOSU and OU -- stockpiling the top talent and appearing in the CFP year in and year out.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
integration
Vice Tv Drink GIF by STICK TO SPORTS

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Desmond Howard thinks it's a good idea so that should be a clear sign that it is not.

Ironic though, because his Wolverines’ last title in ‘97 was in a year where they would’ve wanted nothing to do with about 4 other teams, including Neb, fsu, tenn, or even UF. And of course, in 2006 they went from being #2/1b to being a laughingstock. So I’ll give him some credit for his stance, considering it wouldn’t have benefited his alma mater at all, nor would it going forward.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
Ironic though, because his Wolverines’ last title in ‘97 was in a year where they would’ve wanted nothing to do with about 4 other teams, including Neb, fsu, tenn, or even UF. And of course, in 2006 they went from being #2/1b to being a laughingstock. So I’ll give him some credit for his stance, considering it wouldn’t have benefited his alma mater at all, nor would it going forward.
That weasel is just looking for a way in after blowing conf wins vs POSU in the last 18 years. They’re 2-15 vs them since 04

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
But it was a bad idea then as well. Now it’s just someone else’s bad idea.

I could see you sitting there sipping tea as the Hindenburg went down in flames, telling everyone who’d listen about how you’d had that idea years ago.

It's no longer "an idea." The decision has been made! It's (literally) all over but the crying.

giphy.gif

12-Team-Single-Seeded.gif

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
It will also render conference championships pretty meaningless

Maybe not for the SEC championship, but other conference champions will be getting an automatic seat at the playoffs, regardless of their regular season record it sounds like. For a ****ty conference, that could make it really meaningful.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Oh joy. Yes, let's continue to erode the one thing that made college football different from the NFL, where every game in the regular season used to matter, until we turn college football into the same snoozefest that is the NFL until playoff time. Now instead of sitting out for a meaningless bowl game, we'll get to see star players sit out games in November to stay healthy for the playoffs. Wow. Such riveting action. Much excitement. :rolleyes3:

This doesn't even include sofla's point of how in most years the first round of the playoffs is nothing more than watching the 2 teams everyone knew were better beat the living piss out of the two pretenders who don't belong. How is adding 8 more worse teams going to change that? Whoopie.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

It's no longer "an idea." The decision has been made! It's (literally) all over but the crying.

giphy.gif

12-Team-Single-Seeded.gif

It’s good to see you’re ok with this inclusive, “it isn’t fair”, mindset. Why hold teams accountable for their actions in October and November anyway, am I right? Make the top teams—who went undefeated in the same number of games—play their fair share so the schleprock program who isn’t very good gets an equal shot, even if they technically already did. And so what if team X sucked in September and chose to lose games. A one time forgiveness(oh who are we kidding, it’s about to be 30k, I mean 16 teams) is the human thing to do. I agree with this position and am not sure why people are so upset about some team having something nice done for them. As for how this will all work out, and what the cost will be, we’ll figure all that out.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
It’s good to see you’re ok with this inclusive, “it isn’t fair”, mindset. Why hold teams accountable for their actions in October and November anyway, am I right? Make the top teams—who went undefeated in the same number of games—play their fair share so the schleprock program who isn’t very good gets an equal shot, even if they technically already did. And so what if team X sucked in September and chose to lose games. A one time forgiveness(oh who are we kidding, it’s about to be 30k, I mean 16 teams) is the human thing to do. I agree with this position and am not sure why people are so upset about some team having something nice done for them. As for how this will all work out, and what the cost will be, we’ll figure all that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator