2015 Linebackers

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LB will be the weakness of the defense for the next 2 years at least, but if the unit can stay relatively healthy this year, then they will be OK. Fortunately, the DL and secondary will be really good, so that will certainly help compensate for the lack of LB depth. Next year, they'll have to play some freshmen, so they better bring in some big time talent at the position this year that will be ready to play.

I think converting a bigger safety or two is a good idea, but even if they don't do that, then they'll probably play a lot of nickel anyways. If there is a smaller/faster defensive end, then maybe he can be converted to MLB. I don't know if any DE's on the team can do that, but it's another idea that the coaching staff may explore this spring.

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
Gator Fever;n181449 said:
Anzalone looked decent when he was out there. As far as Morrison goes even in the worst case scenario I bet he is ready to go by camp and just misses the spring.

This ntcrze is obviously a noletroll. In the inimitable words of Bugs Bunny, "What a Maroon."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n181373 said:
Sounds great in theory. Just not a fan of cross-training secondary players at LB.
I agree and we have plenty of depth at DB to make the move.

Neal is a real liability in coverage. Harris can't get on the field currently. The word is he's a bigger hitter who is worse than Neal in coverage. Sounds like perfect candidates for a position change to me. We'll see.

I guess I'm just not particularly concerned about the LBs because we at least have two deep there (not counting incoming freshmen). We have less than 1.5 deep at OL. I've also seen numerous instances where light DEs or heavy safeties move to LB for us. We've even had two "starting" or platooning RBs do it, Terry Jackson (for part of a season) and Eugene Daslin McCaslin. Both played pretty well.

Even if it isn't Harris or Neal, the coaches will work something out.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n181186 said:
Mac: Hey, Keanu and Lil Mud, I need you in my office. I've been watching film of you guys. I love they way you hit and stuff the run. You're moving to LB. Try to put on 10-20lbs over the summer.

Problem solved. Harris already weighs as much as Jeremi Powell and more than all those 200-205 pound LBs we played under the Meyer Regime.

:winner:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n181516 said:
We need to get Washington on the field at safety anyway. For some reason our old safety coach kept putting Gorman and Neal back there despite glaring coverage shortcomings by both. Harris looked very good at safety the few times we saw him back there. That said we need LBer's.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Neal got burned several times that hurt us bad in the games. I'm all for moving him to LB.

Until we know the status of Morrison I think that Shannon has his hands full getting that group up to par. Not a lot of experience, We were playing a walk on at the end of last season. And only bringing one LB in on NSD isn't helping the depth. Definitely need Rolin to heal and see the field.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n181516 said:

Neal is a real liability in coverage. Harris can't get on the field currently. The word is he's a bigger hitter who is worse than Neal in coverage. Sounds like perfect candidates for a position change to me. We'll see.

I guess I'm just not particularly concerned about the LBs because we at least have two deep there (not counting incoming freshmen). We have less than 1.5 deep at OL. I've also seen numerous instances where light DEs or heavy safeties move to LB for us. We've even had two "starting" or platooning RBs do it, Terry Jackson (for part of a season) and Eugene Daslin McCaslin. Both played pretty well.

Even if it isn't Harris or Neal, the coaches will work something out.

I think Harris needs to make the move at a minimum. Our "two deep" at linebacker includes two guys coming off knee surgeries one of whom has never seen the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator