2015 Linebackers

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Having beat the QB, WR, & Oline threads hard over the past weeks, time to move on to the next position.

After the offensive line, I think our next biggest weakness is at LB. This is another position that has suffered on NSD over the past recruiting cycles. With Morrison the only senior, and his status is still up in the air due to the undisclosed injury. being our most experienced LB, we have some glaring holes to fill.

Jarrad Davis will probably be a starter. After him I think the door is wide open for the other players to show the new staff why they should start. After signing just one LB in this cycle, we will be both inexperienced and lacking depth.

In the word of our fearless leader: discuss

Attachments

• conv_2486.jpg
    conv_2486.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 30

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I forgot who we still have behind those 2. Morrison just needs to add a little muscle so he can make tackles closer to the line of scrimmage against those physical SEC teams. He had a lot better nose for the football this season but wasn't making too many of those shut down plays except against the lesser competition.

Davis I didn't specifically watch for but I remember he showed a lot of promise in 2013 but don't remember hearing his name a lot this past season.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a feeling we'll see a lot of Anzalone. He hasn't played a lot yet. But when he's been in, even on special teams, he's had an impact.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I both of our linebackers are pretty good

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n180649 said:
I forgot who we still have behind those 2. Morrison just needs to add a little muscle so he can make tackles closer to the line of scrimmage against those physical SEC teams. He had a lot better nose for the football this season but wasn't making too many of those shut down plays except against the lesser competition.

Davis I didn't specifically watch for but I remember he showed a lot of promise in 2013 but don't remember hearing his name a lot this past season.
Behind them we have Anzalone and Mcmillian who came in the same year and have both seen some action. Then I suppose you would have Jeremi Powell and Rolin right behind them, both have seen limited action. Then there are others that are on this list that I've never heard of. They list Raymond as a walk-on.

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?order_by=position

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n180753 said:
I don't think Rolin has seen any action.
You are correct. Injuries have kept him out both years. Injured during camp his first year and redshirted. Still recovering from the ACL last season. ( gawd I really don't want to sidetrack this thread on whether we can get 5 or 6 years for Rolin with medical redshirt plus normal redshirt...)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n180753 said:
I don't think Rolin has seen any action.

I had almost forget about him. Multiple ACL tears is not a good sign but if he can stay healthy he should see the field this year. He has a pretty big frame for a LB.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n180655 said:
I have a feeling we'll see a lot of Anzalone. He hasn't played a lot yet. But when he's been in, even on special teams, he's had an impact.

Anzalone is going to surprise and turn some heads this year. When he's on the field, he's all over the place. Plays a tough style of football and he's got wheels. If you had to compare him to a former Gator it would be James Bates. Reminds me a lot of him and how he plays. If he bulks up a bit and with some PT that he got last year, we should see good things.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TN G8tr;n181034 said:
Anzalone is going to surprise and turn some heads this year. When he's on the field, he's all over the place. Plays a tough style of football and he's got wheels. If you had to compare him to a former Gator it would be James Bates. Reminds me a lot of him and how he plays. If he bulks up a bit and with some PT that he got last year, we should see good things.

I agree 100 percent TN, Anzalone will be a starter and may very well end up being our best LB next year. As far as bulking up goes he's already our biggest LB at 240#. He saw a good amount of action in the last 4 or 5 games last year and was in on a lot of plays. People forget how good of an athlete he is, remember he originally committed to ND as a TE, and was rated a 5 star when he came out. He also was our best ST player last year which shows he has adjusted to the speed of the SEC. With Shannon as his position coach he will be all conference before he leaves and I wouldn't doubt if he does it this year. Not sure how good he is in pass coverage but IMO we have our first true MLB since Bostic.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Davis will be a serviceable LB who is pretty good against the run. The guy who has been the biggest disappointment and needs to start contributing the most is McMillan. He has to step up this year. Perhaps the coaches should make him watch hours of Jelani Jenkins tape. I hoped he would be another player in Jelani's mold but that is asking a lot. If we ever get anything out of Rolin it will be a bonus but UF seems to be like a magnet for double ACL-MCL injury guys. Morrison is what he is, a guy who will get a lot of tackles but also give up a lot of ground against the more physical teams, he's also not very good in pass coverage but I will take him all day long and hope to god that he is healthy by next fall.
When I really look at what we have here I'm more afraid for this group than even our offensive line. Our low numbers here are staggering.....

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n181038 said:
I agree 100 percent TN, Anzalone will be a starter and may very well end up being our best LB next year. As far as bulking up goes he's already our biggest LB at 240#. He saw a good amount of action in the last 4 or 5 games last year and was in on a lot of plays. People forget how good of an athlete he is, remember he originally committed to ND as a TE, and was rated a 5 star when he came out. He also was our best ST player last year which shows he has adjusted to the speed of the SEC. With Shannon as his position coach he will be all conference before he leaves and I wouldn't doubt if he does it this year. Not sure how good he is in pass coverage but IMO we have our first true MLB since Bostic.

Nailed it!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mac: Hey, Keanu and Lil Mud, I need you in my office. I've been watching film of you guys. I love they way you hit and stuff the run. You're moving to LB. Try to put on 10-20lbs over the summer.

Problem solved. Harris already weighs as much as Jeremi Powell and more than all those 200-205 pound LBs we played under the Meyer Regime.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n181186 said:
Mac: Hey, Keanu and Lil Mud, I need you in my office. I've been watching film of you guys. I love they way you hit and stuff the run. You're moving to LB. Try to put on 10-20lbs over the summer.

Problem solved. Harris already weighs as much as Jeremi Powell and more than all those 200-205 pound LBs we played under the Meyer Regime.
I like this. Why not? I think I remember Derrick Brooks was recruited as a safety.

Is Lil Mud a nickname for Harris?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n181186 said:

We cross trained the LB's to play all three positions, no problem giving those guys reps at LB besides safety. Plus if they know it will mean more playing time I'm sure they'll get on board.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;n181191 said:
Is Lil Mud a nickname for Harris?
His father is Mike "Mud" Harris, who has a fistful of SEC championship rings to set beside his national championship ring.

:chomp::chomp::chomp:

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n181197 said:
His father is Mike "Mud" Harris who has a fistful of SEC championship rings to sit beside his national championship ring.

:chomp::chomp::chomp:

Wow! I didn't know this. He's much bigger than his pop. I'll be pulling harder for the guy now.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n181186 said:

Sounds great in theory. Just not a fan of cross-training secondary players at LB. As a safety (unless you're on a blitz) your first step is always backward.
A linebacker's first step (unless it's 3rd and 38) is always forward. Unless it's a permanent move to play OLB I just don't like it. Especially if Harris is going
to play in the secondary at some point.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Linebacker is in shambles. Morrison probably won't be able to even suit up. I say that because there wouldn't be the curtain of silence over his injury if it wasn't so devastating that he won't be ready for the fall. There's a reason that Anzalone , McMillian, etc. have played very little, and it's not due to injuries like Rolin. If I'm correct about Morrison, UF will field a linebacking crew that has not done anything, basically, on the field. Davis, for all the excitement over him as a freshman, played very little last year and the reason for that is that he exhibited a lack of speed and quickness that were the reasons he was a low rated recruit. I think it's a stretch to think a safety is going to be able to slide down and play linebacker, and I doubt UF's lone signee at linebacker this year, Rayshard Jackson, is going to be any help. UF is in serious trouble, with Morrison, I predict, unable to play and counting on others who have done little to nothing. That's the status if everyone remains healthy, it gets worse if there are more injuries.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n181413 said:
Linebacker is in shambles. Morrison probably won't be able to even suit up. I say that because there wouldn't be the curtain of silence over his injury if it wasn't so devastating that he won't be ready for the fall. There's a reason that Anzalone , McMillian, etc. have played very little, and it's not due to injuries like Rolin. If I'm correct about Morrison, UF will field a linebacking crew that has not done anything, basically, on the field. Davis, for all the excitement over him as a freshman, played very little last year and the reason for that is that he exhibited a lack of speed and quickness that were the reasons he was a low rated recruit. I think it's a stretch to think a safety is going to be able to slide down and play linebacker, and I doubt UF's lone signee at linebacker this year, Rayshard Jackson, is going to be any help. UF is in serious trouble, with Morrison, I predict, unable to play and counting on others who have done little to nothing. That's the status if everyone remains healthy, it gets worse if there are more injuries.

Anzalone looked decent when he was out there. As far as Morrison goes even in the worst case scenario I bet he is ready to go by camp and just misses the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.