Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I think this is fair. But I think some other stuff has to be taken into consideration as well. Mainly the safety in the health of the Young player. In addition, QBs to have fragile psyches. I’d rather bring him along in a Tebow like fashion and have him take the reins next year.

I was really hoping Mullen could work some magic with Franks and Jones could just redshirt this year and then transition to him next year, Franks seems pretty much a lost cause to me at this point. Unless we pull a grad transfer or Trask is unexpectedly good in this offense, at some point this year, we may just have to gamble with putting the true freshman in there full time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah that’s why I agree with rivals assessments. In camps they compete against equal skill players. I don’t know how rivals weights it – but I would assume it’s probably around 70% camps and 30% tape.
I suspect when it is all done, he will be our first five-star QB since Tebow. I think Newton was also but later dropped?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I wonder if the QB we need graduated from Live Oak in 2017? Just switched to RB this spring and his teammates are in awe "violent runner", "running over LBs", etc. Playing at 240. If he could pass even a little, he could make Mullens offense go.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I was really hoping Mullen could work some magic with Franks and Jones could just redshirt this year and then transition to him next year, Franks seems pretty much a lost cause to me at this point. Unless we pull a grad transfer or Trask is unexpectedly good in this offense, at some point this year, we may just have to gamble with putting the true freshman in there full time.
Why is everyone so afraid to play a true Fr? UGA and Bama both had Fr playing in the National Championship game. Bama had a Fr playing the year before. I'm all in favor of just playing Jones from day 1 so he can adjust during his Fr year and be ready to flourish his So year. If he gives us the best chance to win then play him now.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I think this is fair. But I think some other stuff has to be taken into consideration as well. Mainly the safety in the health of the Young player. In addition, QBs to have fragile psyches. I’d rather bring him along in a Tebow like fashion and have him take the reins next year.
He either has a fragile psyche or he doesn't. It's not something that can be taught imo you either have it or you don't. I do agree with his health but that has to do with toughness and heart and again you either have it or you don't. I've watched players like Farve take beating all day but get up and continue to sling the ball around. Plus all our QB are gonna take a beating because their gonna be asked to run the ball 15+ times a game which is ridiculous but that's Mullen's offense

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why is everyone so afraid to play a true Fr? UGA and Bama both had Fr playing in the National Championship game. Bama had a Fr playing the year before. I'm all in favor of just playing Jones from day 1 so he can adjust during his Fr year and be ready to flourish his So year. If he gives us the best chance to win then play him now.

Mainly because ours may die behind our Oline.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

He was a huge gamble. Classic boom or bust prospect. Looks like a bust.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Both of them were surrounded by future NFLers. Ours are surrounded by...

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Mullen has to be willing to play him, thought some on here have stated that Mullen has never started a true freshman or something to that effect. It’s hard to compare our situation to UGA and Bama, cause their QB’s were protected by good offensive lines, especially at Bama. You can also argue that because we have such an average at best offensive line, play the guy with the most mobility. At the very least I hope he at least gives him a package like they did for Tebow every game like someone else mentioned.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Both of them were surrounded by future NFLers. Ours are surrounded by...
helmets.jpg

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Mainly because ours may die behind our Oline.
So you think our online is gonna be drastically better his So year? I see it improving after 1 year but don't see it improving enough that you would feel comfortable in his So year either. Do we just sit him then as well to continue to protect him or you've got to play him at that point?

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
So I've gotta be honest. I really WANT to be a Mullen pumper. I do. He brings a ton of energy. He's spread himself around campus more than anyone since (and heck, maybe INCLUDING) SOS. I love his S&C hire and like a few of his other hires. But the recruiting end of things isn't panning out too well so far for his first full class. Unless we've got a bunch of "silent commits" (highly unlikely) we appear to be losing a few who were considered solid locks a month ago.

So is he just waiting to see where the Bama/UGA/FSU dust settles? Knowing that UGA can't take 15 DL, etc?
I understand some kids want to wait and have the big hat show in their HS gym on signing day, but there does need to be a LITTLE pressure back on them to join the band and start recruiting. Just being nice guys who "keep it real" and treat recruits "like family" won't cut it. It ain't how Saban did it and it ain't how Smart is doing it. And it ain't how Wild Willie is doing it. Yeah, I know the game-decision arguments about Smart and Taggart (that they'll game-coach their way into mediocrity) and I'm not buying that.

I am THIIIIIIIISSSS close to joining the dumper bandwagon. End of brief rant.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's a list of possible grad transfer QBs (from seccountry). It's not real impressive....unless you add Joe Burrow, who I am 100% in favor of:

According to the handy Grad Transfer Tracker, 17 eligible quarterbacks have already found new homes.

Dual-threat QBs Brandon Dawkins (Arizona to Indiana) and Jalan McClendon (N.C. State to Baylor) would have been intriguing additions for the Gators, while Wilton Speight, who announced two weeks ago he was transferring from Michigan to UCLA, wouldn’t have made as much sense.

So what’s left? Nobody with the upside of Burrow, that’s for sure, but the Gators could fill their depth needs from this list.

• Tucker Israel was a 3-star dual-threat QB in the Class of 2015 from Orlando, Fla. He announced over the winter that he is transferring from Clemson after graduation. He attempted only 4 passes in his time with the Tigers, but he’ll be a junior with two years of eligibility left. Given his Florida roots and mobility, he might make some sense for the Gators.
  • Ryan Boyle, a 3-star dual-threat QB from the 2015 recruiting class, is leaving Iowa with two seasons of immediate eligibility left. A prolific state-championship winning high school QB in Iowa, Boyle never progressed up the depth chart with the Hawkeyes. He too could provide depth for the Gators, if he doesn’t pursue a smaller program offering a better shot at playing time.
  • Former Florida State reserve QB J.J. Cosentino is available after completing just 15 of 30 passes for 104 yards and 2 TDs in his time with the Seminoles. While he spent the last few years in Tallahassee, he is from Pittsburgh. He never pushed for the starting job at FSU and would merely be a depth option, if an option at all.
  • Jacob Park, who started his college career at Georgia, is now transferring from Iowa State, where he passed for 1,181 yards, 9 touchdowns and 5 interceptions in four games last season. In moving to a third program, though, he’d surely be looking for a clear path to immediate playing time, and he may not be a fit at Florida as a pro-style QB.
  • Chris Chugunov, who is leaving West Virginia, passed for 536 yards, 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions playing behind former Gators QB Will Grier last fall. He has one year of eligibility left, and like Park is both a pro-style QB and probably intent on finding immediate playing time.
  • Jeff George Jr. is leaving Illinois, where he passed for 1,273 yards, 7 touchdowns and 10 interceptions last fall. If he is a consideration at all for Florida, it strictly would be as a depth addition.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree w/ that...but I also wonder how much of "on field improvement" we'll see. Sure, it will be light years ahead of Butters offenses. But will it be exciting enough to attract top recruits? What if we pass for 137 yards per game? Will top WR's and QB's want to come here? Will top OL's want to play in that? Who knows...but at this point the 'brand' is certainly tarnished...
I think EJ holds all the cards here to Mullen's future and UF's future the next 5+ years. If he eventually takes over this year and shows to be the play maker everyone thinks he can be that is what will turn the tide and make the UF brand exciting again. We used to have SOS who was a brand himself...and the ridiculous numbers. Then Meyer came and had a lot of hype and when he got Tebow it was rock star status all the way around. Mullen is not Meyer but he is far better than chump and butters. But i think EJ actually is the one that has to do it

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maurice Goolsby dropped down to a 3* recruit on ESPN and 247, confirming Mullen was wise not to take him at this time.
This is exactly why getting butt hurt over rankings prior to their senior years is a waste of time. Rankings are going to change now, they'll change after summer camps, they'll change after their senior year, and they'll change again after the all-star games. Offer lists are far more telling right now than star rankings

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator