Status
Not open for further replies.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I really don't think people are too far off the idea of the offense. When I say I don't want to see the QB run but about 10 times a game, that's just my preference. I know (and I think others do too) that the defense dictates the read. It also seems like the QB reads tend to produce the biggest opportunity for chunk yards.

I think want most of us are saying is that we'd like a more pass-centric offense rather than something more run heavy. So more like a Prescott offense vs. Fitzgerald.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
so basically Fitzgerald isn't running the offense right?

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like the idea of a good passer who can run, rather than the other way. Which do you think better pushes this offense?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meaning Fitz made a lot of bad rdads? Surely, the defenses would prefer to seda bad passer pass than a good runner run.
Bad reads of defense? Meaning should he audible? Yes.

Bad reads once he starts the play, ie keep/give? Yes, also.

Think Trey Burton, who always kept, no matter what. Or Brantley, who always gave.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Meaning he must be running when he should be passing. Then the question becomes "Was he successful running even though he should have been passing?"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meaning he must be running when he should be passing. Then the question becomes "Was he successful running even though he should have been passing?"
He wasn't that successful. He lost a lot of games.

It reminds me of Daz saying that Brantley was "AVERAGING SEVEN YARDS A CARRY!!!!"

On third and fifteen.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

It reminds me of Daz saying that Brantley was "AVERAGING SEVEN YARDS A CARRY!!!!"
Exactly, to bad that he couldn't pass accurately. The coaches would have had him passing more. The take home story is that the defense does have a lot to say about run vs pass, but not everything.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

On third and fifteen.

The long story short is simple: the QB has to be a legitimate threat to run.

Until the last 4 games, Franks was a marginal threat to run. Then, for whatever reason, he started running - and the offense put up some very impressive numbers the last 4 games. You're right on Brantley; he was never a legitimate threat to run.

So....back to this topic: 2020 QB, is Beck a "legitimate threat" to run? I think he can be. We all know Richardson can run. I'm concerned about Jalon and Richardson as passers (not sure if we'll get Richardson back in the class or not). What I don't want is another Brantley on the roster - and I'm sure he would have been a very good QB in a 1990's Spurrier offense....but not a 21st Century Mullen offense.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We're trying to flip this OL from South Carolina, he's visited UF and said he "felt at home".

upload_2019-2-9_11-10-32.png

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We're trying to flip this OL from South Carolina, he's visited UF and said he "felt at home".

He'll flip from USCe, but who knows where. He's already said that they don't show him much "love". Shocked that Muschamp isn't all over a 4* OL.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He'll flip from USCe, but who knows where. He's already said that they don't show him much "love". Shocked that Muschamp isn't all over a 4* OL.

I think he's our top OL prospect (right now). We only need 3 or 4, so if we get Braun and this kid real soon we're half way there.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he's our top OL prospect (right now). We only need 3 or 4, so if we get Braun and this kid real soon we're half way there.
During one of the pre-NSD articles they mentioned what I just posted, and he also said that UF was showing a lot more "love". If he wasn't a Miami kid, I'd say he could flip before the season to us, but it's hard to project those Miami kids.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Under Armor Camp happening in Orlando this weekend:

UA Orlando camp littered with Florida targets

UA Orlando camp littered with Florida targets

UF commits well represented

With quick starts to both the 2020 and 2021 class already, the Florida Gators will have several of their commits on hand between the two classes. The 2020 class will be well represented with Lake Wales (Fla.) four-star Gervon Dexter, Tampa (Fla.) Middleton four-star defensive tackle Johnnie Brown, Dunnellon (Fla.) four-star wide receiver Jaquavion Fraziars, Clearwater (Fla.) Superior Collegiate Academy four-star running back Keyvone Lee, and Ocala (Fla.) Vanguard four-star wide receiver Leonard Manuel all expected.

From the 2021 Florida commitment list, Ocala (Fla.) Vanguard teammates Bryce Langston and Trevonte Rucker are both expected.

Top targets showcased

The Gators will also have several top targets for the 2020 class hitting the field to showcase their talents as well. The Gators are looking for their signal caller for the 2020 class and have zeroed in on Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin four-star quarterback Carson Beck. After backing off an early commitment to the Alabama Crimson Tide, Beck has taken visits to both Florida and Miami. Beck is a former Florida baseball commit and is now focusing on strictly playing football.

Another priority target for the Gators in the 2020 class expected to be on hand is Lakeland (Fla.) five-star running back Demarkcus Bowman. The Gators offered Bowman last year before an impressive Junior season and have continued to prioritize him. Florida is very high on Bowman's list and he recently visited campus for a Junior Day. Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Ohio State have also been talked up by Bowman as well.

After failing to sign a true safety in the 2019 cycle, the Gators will look at address that need in the 2020 cycle and already have a safety in the fold with four-star Rashad Torrence committed. Another target the Gators have zeroed in on for the position is Deland (Fla.) four-star athlete Avantae Williams, a currently Oregon Ducks commit. Williams visited Florida last weekend for their Junior Day and is expected to keep the door cracked for other schools despite an early commitment.

Another target the Florida staff has prioritized early on is Orange Park (Fla.) Oakleaf four-star defensive end Chantz Williams. The Gators signed a nice haul at the edge rusher position in the 2019 cycle, and will look to keep infusing top talent to the roster with Williams high on the wish list in the 2020 cycle. Williams has visited Florida several times since the arrival of the new coaching staff.

Other 2020 notable names

With early success in Dan Mullen's Florida career, and a No. 9 Nationally ranked recruiting class in the 2019 cycle, the Gators are looking to build upon their efforts in the 2020 class with the state of Florida loaded with talent. Several other in-state targets will also be taking to the field on Sunday for the Gators.

Some of the names that already hold an offer from the Gators heading into the camp include Largo (Fla.) four-star linebacker Jayion McCluster, Apopka (Fla.) four-star defensive end Jalen Carter, Ocala (Fla.) Vanguard offensive lineman Miller Merriweather-Lewis, Cocoa (Fla.) four-star athlete Caziah Holmes, Tampa (Fla.) Chamberlin four-star offensive tackle Cesar Reyes, Mulberry (Fla.) athlete Arian Smith, Gainesville (Fla.) Eastside three-star quarterback Anthony Richardson, Jacksonville (Fla.) Sandalwood three-star cornerback Jahquez Robinson, Orlando (Fla.) Jones three-star wide receiver Dominick Hill, Largo (Fla.) Pinellas Park three-star linebacker Alvin Mathis, Lakeland (Fla.) Lake Gibson three-star edge rusher Morven Joseph, Winter Park (Fla.) athlete Ethan Pouncey, and Lakeland (Fla.) cornerback Fenley Graham.

Another name set to compete on Sunday that does not hold an offer from Florida heading in is Madison (Fla.) County offensive tackle Zane Herring, who has visited Florida's campus several times in the span of the last year.

2021 class also well represented

The Florida Gators 2021 recruiting class has also gotten off to a quick start with 6 members already on board. The Gators coaching staff has also been active in extending offers to some of the top names in-state for the 2021 class as well.

Some of the names with Florida offers expected to be at the camp Sunday include Orlando (Fla.) Jones offensive tackle Javonte Gardner, Seffner (Fla.) Armwood wide receiver Agiye Hall, Graceville (Fla.) athlete Xavian Sorey, Seffner (Fla.) Armwood defensive lineman Desmond Watson, Tampa (Fla.) Jefferson tight end Gage Wilcox, and Plant City (Fla.) wide receiver Mario Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator