Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I know Knox is the ST's coach. He can either get rid of him or find another coach to take over the duties, right? Why are you bashing Mullen? I thought you were a Mullen pumper? You really think Mullen is sitting there in his office saying, "Man, our special teams is kicking ass this year!"??
No, I’m realistic with Mullen. I like a lot of what he does but I have said consistently that his weakest spots are recruiting and staff management. The latter is easy to fix and likely fixes the former but he hasn’t shown a willingness to do that, especially on offense. It’s the same guys going on a decade+ (Johnson being the outlier). I’ll believe he addresses it when I see it.

To your question, I’m not sure that Mullen isn’t in on the ST strategy. He may not place importance on it as it takes away practice time from other positions. Maybe he’s just content to show punt block to make the other team protect against it every time.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
BTW, we are not in Arian Smith's top 3 which is, you guessed it, Bama, Georgia and Clemson. He's looking to cash in.

Arian Smith is an outstanding player. But, I'd rather have Xzavier Henderson. I love his tape and see far more potential in him than Smith.

Another question for you recruiting guys. Is there a reason Leonard Manuel has dropped so far? He was once a 5 star. Now, he is a 3 star on 247 (not the composite).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Arian Smith is an outstanding player. But, I'd rather have Xzavier Henderson. I love his tape and see far more potential in him than Smith.

Another question for you recruiting guys. Is there a reason Leonard Manuel has dropped so far? He was once a 5 star. Now, he is a 3 star on 247 (not the composite).

On Manuel: grades, grades, grades....he transferred....and he's committed to UF (not UGA, Clemson, or Alabama). They bumped the Ajou Ajou kid (WR from Canada, playing in Clearwater) from 1000+ to 253 (4-star) after he committed to Clemson. Arian Smith saw a similar bump - into the top 50 - after he got offers from UGA, Alabama, and Clemson. Smith is a speedster w/ Olympic type sprinter speed....but he's a raw WR. There was no reason at all to bump him that high. Manuel is still a 4-star talent, plus he has the size Mullen likes (so he can effectively block). He'd be a nice replacement for Grimes & Cleveland.

leogator

May 5, 2018
On Manuel: grades, grades, grades....he transferred....and he's committed to UF (not UGA, Clemson, or Alabama). They bumped the Ajou Ajou kid (WR from Canada, playing in Clearwater) from 1000+ to 253 (4-star) after he committed to Clemson. Arian Smith saw a similar bump - into the top 50 - after he got offers from UGA, Alabama, and Clemson. Smith is a speedster w/ Olympic type sprinter speed....but he's a raw WR. There was no reason at all to bump him that high. Manuel is still a 4-star talent, plus he has the size Mullen likes (so he can effectively block). He'd be a nice replacement for Grimes & Cleveland.
Manuel should be a +1. We should not be counting on him. If he makes it in, fine but if he does not we should have other WRs there already that we can depend they make it in.

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What are the chances Mullen and staff will take advantage of the chaos at clown town and scUM? I just don't have high hopes.

We’ll according to guys like Higdon there are very few players committed to fsu that could call up our staff and commit right now. Morven Joseph is one and he’s about the only one I’ve heard that can. This isn’t a trust the coaches post but more of a we have to just deal with the fact they have vastly different opinion on guys than the ranking services

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Well, hopefully we get a new ST's coach next year. If Mullen self-scouts, which I know he does, ST's has to be a glaring weakness.

Fire English and let Gray coach all DBs. Then go find a recruiting fireball who also knows a little bit about ST.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Yet we are still recruiting him, not as strongly as we did earlier this year but he's slated to visit soon.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Sorry I brought some recruiting info to the boards so you and others can bash Mullen's RB/ST's coach. Maybe I'll just post that info into the recruiting thread next time?

leogator

May 5, 2018
Sorry I brought some recruiting info to the boards so you and others can bash Mullen's RB/ST's coach. Maybe I'll just post that info into the recruiting thread next time?
This is so apropos to some people around here:

leogator

May 5, 2018
Who did we miss on? We're still on Henderson, we never went after Koy Moore which I thought was short sighted, we did not go after Jakhi Douglas which I also thought we should have done, Robinson is visiting us for the FSU game, Poittier has grade concerns. We need 4 receivers this cycle+ Manuel if he can make it in. I personally like Sam Brown. We might just dip into the graduate transfer market again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.