Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Another good article by Zach Goodall breaking down a recruit. It is a long article, but well worth the read.

Five Play Prospect: Gators OL Gerald Mincey Scouting Report

Mincey, 6-5, 320 lbs., hails from Cardinal Gibbons (Ft. Lauderdale FL). While he is an early enrollee, Mincey, like Walker, would benefit from a redshirt year under their belt to fine-tune their game and compete to start in 2021, but both carry great size and display valuable traits on tape.

A) One thing that repeatedly stands out on Mincey's tape is his slap block. You don't see tackles do this often, unless they have very strong hands and have mastered the technique, but Mincey confidently uses the slap block in his play and it's pretty cool.

These blocks come in handy on draw run plays and in pass protection, allowing rushers to work outside and away from the quarterback and capitalizing by using his strong hands to club the rusher out of his rush lane, and sometimes into the turf. As Mincey continues to add strength in Florida's strength program, he should only get better with the slap block.

B) With his aforementioned strength in Mincey's hands, similar to former Gators offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor, he swipes through pass rusher's hands effectively to knock them off balance.

His technique will have to be adjusted in pass sets, as he bends his back forward to lean into blocks which isn't great form. Rather, Mincey will want to lower his center of gravity to win pad level battles while remaining upright.

But, once that stance is tweaked, Mincey's hand usage is going to be an incredible tool. On the rep above, Mincey swiped through the pass rusher's extension on first contact and quickly gets his hands back up for a second swipe - this one knocking the rusher off balance as the ball comes out.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Except that he wasn’t and played in the game. I know this originally started with Wiltfong but the guy that runs this twitter account is a hack

yeah, i dont know the back story. thought it was post worthy though

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Nice.

Side note, as much as I dislike Lsu, it was nice to see a WH visit go down without some political nonsense. Pains me to say it, but Burrow may be the best representative of a cfb team since Tebow. His quote was dead on. And you could see Ed O wasn’t taking any bs either. Good for them.

Also like that I can’t see the bottom Mullen’s pants in that pic. I know they’re dreadfully long, but I’m pretending they aren’t.

I agree completely. The political crap from both extremes is totally out of hand, just like Mullen's pants.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Funny story...someone has bandied about Evans wanting back in with UGA

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Funny story...someone has bandied about Evans wanting back in with UGA

Yeah that’s coming from that uga ray guy on Twitter that guy has got to be a troll or just the saddest excuse for a grown fan I’ve ever seen

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm all for taking risk on these kinda elite talent high ceiling kids but if he's truly that dumb then maybe we don't want him after all.:lol:
Look, the kid is from Texas and knows nothing of the Uga hate that courses their our veins.

Can you think of any reason why a flock of 5 star RBs would be attracted to a team that runs power offense featuring the tailbacks instead of goofy options in which the QB is the primary or at least 2nd leading rusher and in which the tailback has about a 50% chance of getting hit in the backfield by an unblocked defensive end?

He has had how many 1000 yard rushers since he took the reigns of our offense the first time? There is a reason why Dorky Dan has never been able to get top backs interested, even during the CUM years.

We are going to attract certain players, namely running QBs and scat backs hopefully who can block and catch.

That isn't changing anytime soon.

Last edited:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Look, the kid is from Texas and knows nothing of the Uga hate that courses their our veins.

Can you think of any reason why a flock of 5 star RBs would be attracted to a team that runs power offense featuring the tailbacks instead of goofy options in which the QB is the primary or at least 2nd leading rusher?

There is a reason why Dorky Dan has never been able to get top backs interested, even during the CUM years. That isn't changing anytime soon.

Curious how you were able to type that while you were cradling Kirby's balls in your hands?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Can you think of any reason why a flock of 5 star RBs would be attracted to a team that runs power offense featuring the tailbacks instead of goofy options in which the QB is the primary or at least 2nd leading rusher and in which the tailback has about a 50% chance of getting hit in the backfield by an unblocked defensive end?

He has had how many 1000 yard rushers since he took the reigns of our offense the first time? There is a reason why Dorky Dan has never been able to get top backs interested, even during the CUM years.
Anyone remember Meyer calling our RBs "trash" ?

There's a possibility that Mullen will change his O to utilize traditional RBs a little more but the Leg Humpers have traditionally featured and relied on their RBs. Mullens O has never been that. (Except when there is a Percy type talent with a Tebow type talent next to him)

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

We are going to attract certain players, namely running QBs and scat backs hopefully who can block and catch.

RB was the one area we didn’t seem to hit on in the Meyer days. Well, RB’s with size, we got the scat backs that were utilized well, but he couldn’t land a good size one. Unless you count that transfer Moody. The big misses I remember were Spiller and Richardson. There may have been others, but those 2 stick out.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Anyone remember Meyer calling our RBs "trash" ?

There's a possibility that Mullen will change his O to utilize traditional RBs a little more but the Leg Humpers have traditionally featured and relied on their RBs. Mullens O has never been that. (Except when there is a Percy type talent with a Tebow type talent next to him)

urbs got zeek eliott to sign with osu, plus he had some other quality RBs there. Maybe DM can figure out how to do the same at UF. Holding my breath...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator