Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Is that what happened? Kyle Trask's father took your girlfriend when you were trying to be the ladies' man? Move on, guy. Let it go and feel the freedom found in forgiving others.

Right, we were talking about recruiting. I get the analogy and know that it's somewhat risky to recruit more than one highly ranked QB in a class, but it's not unheard of. Furthermore, we don't know how confident the coaches were in AR's commitment, progression as a QB or Beck's value at the time. I'm glad it worked out the way it did, but it's slanted to say that we almost ditched AR for Beck.

Thankfully we have the paragons of unbiased perception like you. You never speak definitively, turn out wrong, get mocked by the entire board, and fail to admit you missed huge.
:whew:
ARs accuracy was suspect - at a minimum - up until this year. Becks was iffy but better. No idea if that factored in but might have. That said, AR must have put in a TON of work because his accuracy skyrocketed. Really glad we got him. Could be a great one.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We had a second QB but we ran him off. He too is perfect for Mullinz system, Kevone Lee.

Mullinz lack of self awareness is problematic. If the QB experiment didn't work, Lee could have played several positions. Unfortunately we were so sure we were landing a 5 star RB we didn't want Lee.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
ARs accuracy was suspect - at a minimum - up until this year. Becks was iffy but better. No idea if that factored in but might have. That said, AR must have put in a TON of work because his accuracy skyrocketed. Really glad we got him. Could be a great one.

AR also had sh*tty receivers who had a ton of drops - or his completion % would have been better. Beck's team won a state championship his junior year, so I'm assuming they had better athletes than 5-5 Eastside HS.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
AR also had sh*tty receivers who had a ton of drops - or his completion % would have been better. Beck's team won a state championship his junior year, so I'm assuming they had better athletes than 5-5 Eastside HS.
That should account for a part of it but he was below 50 - that’s on him too. And it’s not like he got a new set of WRs that we’re D1 caliber. He’s at 65% - that’s him improving more than eliminating dropped passes. Really excited about him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That should account for a part of it but he was below 50 - that’s on him too. And it’s not like he got a new set of WRs that we’re D1 caliber. He’s at 65% - that’s him improving more than eliminating dropped passes. Really excited about him.

They actually had two underclassman on this year's team who were JV last year that are already being recruited:

Quan Lee, Eastside, Wide Receiver

The other is another sophomore, Arnold Strachan (who doesn't have a 247 profile yet):

2022’s Arnold Strachan is one of the most exciting playmakers in Gainesville

And a 3rd, who is a junior, Draco James, who was mostly a DB last season.

They did have a 2nd team all-Alachua County senior on the 2018 team who had less than 20 catches.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was also super young, like early 17 I think when he graduated. Seems like there was a LB who was super young also, but I forget who.

You can play that "must add 60-80 lbs" game, but you will lose most of the time.

not sure about Cunningham, but Dunlap was really young.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A while. I mentioned it a week or two ago to no avail. I think now it's just staying that way out of stubbornness.

To that degree, isn't it stubbordination?

So right Seebee, if he can raise his skill by his own discipline like that, he will impact Mullin's offense when the time comes.

Musselman with Arky is going to get revenge and wax the floor with White.

So, does Arkansas play aggressively? Will they be able to get White to come out of the locker room?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Clayton should be on flip alert...if his big news tweet isnt about staying at Colorado

I think he will stay at Colorado. He talks about that place in an unusual way. I wish completely striking out would get Knox fired, but he has been with Mullen for 10 years. He isn't going anywhere.

So ... do kids that play sports in Colorado get punished for coming up hot on pee tests for THC?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Breaking down how Dan Mullen has increased UF's roster talent

I really need to hear Swamp Honkeys take on this because he led me to believe Mullen was a 3 star whisperer even though we currently have 20 more Blue chippers than we did when he took over.

Honkey please break this down for us. How is it possible for Goldy to be this wrong
Honkey is a racial slur. Im offended.

he's definitely gotten us from middle of the Sunbelt to middle of the SEC.

I agree, Cousin Eddie is ever so slightly better as a recruiter than Shark and is only the second worst recruiter in Gator history.

I guess if a second or third in the SEC East is your goal, this is your guy.

PS: after reading it, .88 to .89 etc. :lmao2: Sure thing.

PPS: We still gettin errrrbody.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
PS: after reading it, .88 to .89 etc. :lmao2: Sure thing.
I hope you read legal documents with better comprehension than you do internet articles. I know you hate to admit it because it undermines another stupid donkey-ism but Mullen is actually recruiting much better than you said he would and the numbers bare that out.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Answering your questions in order:
-UF standards? Probably not. But trending in the right direction.
-Already/almost committed? Have to count somewhat. He still had to assure them that UF was the place for them with a different staff. Maybe he does not get full credit but he has to get some credit - there are always defections after a coaching change.
-Reranked? Tough proposition. To make that fair, all other players would have to be ranked each year as well to make comparisons. Is Trask REALLY a 0.79 (like, sub 3*) talent? I would wager no. Was Cece Jefferson REALLY a 5*? What about Ivey? No to both. Was Greenard really a 3*? Sure did not contribute that way - would be fair to grade him at least a mid-4*. I would say the best model is to stick with the HS “potential” ranking and understand that there are under and over performers that ultimately even out. The best teams have more “over” performers or top talents that meet expectations (Clemson is a great example of both).
-Different offseason/Return to previous form? That’s the key, right? We do not know and will not until next year. How many recruits did that net though? 1 (maybe two) from UGA. 1 (maybe) from Clemson (could also be a family thing too). Who else? I think the excitement of a flip overshadows the overall improvement. Dexter and Wingo (5*s) were ours all along. Next year will be critical - is improvement sustained or bettered or does the staff return to previous form? Definitely not as quick of a turnaround as we would like or have seen in the past but it does appear to be.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
They might not be but we really don’t know either. Are they elite talent that were sold a system they don’t fit? We’re there other external issues that made the fit bad? We’re they overrated? Who knows. Goes back to by under/over argument. The best teams identify the “over” guys and pick them up. This staff has done that so far - VJ/Greenard met or exceeded. Grimes has time but he’s started/contributed meaningfully - which is what 4 stars are supposed to do. Shuler was solid, if not unspectacular. Probably met HS ranking.
This part I really have no idea about. If fsu is a top-10 team, are they in it for Dexter? Does ut keep McDaniel? Does um have a shot at X? No idea.
Well, you could argue that FSU benefitted from our downturn as well. Same with many of the out of state teams. It was tough to get Florida talent elsewhere in the 90s/00s because 2 or 3 of the big 3 were always up. Starting in 2013, only 1 was up which left a void - and Bama/OSU/Clemson/UGA were happy to fill it. Do they continue to get their share of top guys if UF and say FSU rise back up? Probably not. We’ll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.