Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Caglianone, Evans and Armstrong have been doing well at the plate lately but Calllao hasn't had a good at bat since we started the conference schedule. Halter did much better at the plate this past weekend but he has lacked consistency since over the past month plus. To win games, we need to get Fabian the elder back in the groove.

Guscette is off and on at the plate, but he does well at catcher. You nailed it about Thompson, with his throwing motion, 2B is his only position; regardless, we need his bat.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Got home from traveling and started watching in the 5th. Small sample size, but so far we’ve looked like the pre-Roy Hobbs New York Knights at the plate. Did see where Langford earlier homered twice however. Really haven’t watched much this year, but I’m guessing consistency in about all phases has been a problem.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Got home from traveling and started watching in the 5th. Small sample size, but so far we’ve looked like the pre-Roy Hobbs New York Knights at the plate. Did see where Langford earlier homered twice however. Really haven’t watched much this year, but I’m guessing consistency in about all phases has been a problem.

We have a right fielder playing 2B who looks like a RF playing 2B. We have made a below average little lefty who not only has the same stature as Sandy Koufax, but we have made him look like he pitches like Sandy Koufax. We have pitchers who either hit guys or allow hits on 0-2 pitches. And we have an all star CF who is a can't miss pro who is 1 for his last 30 and that 1 is a bunt single. So I would say you have summed it up well

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have a right fielder playing 2B who looks like a RF playing 2B. We have made a below average little lefty who not only has the same stature as Sandy Koufax, but we have made him look like he pitches like Sandy Koufax. We have pitchers who either hit guys or allow hits on 0-2 pitches. And we have an all star CF who is a can't miss pro who is 1 for his last 30 and that 1 is a bunt single. So I would say you have summed it up well
:proud:

Thanks FF. I would add undisciplined at the plate or at least a one-dimensional approach.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Now that was quite an ending. The only guy happier than Thompson has to be Jud Fabian. He was on deck and did not have to make the 3rd out with 2 runners on base. WHEW!. Nice going Thompson.

Perhaps "Lemen" Jr. should have intentionally walked Thompson and left that sinker ball throwing righty face Jud. Oh well the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I don't find alot of fault in Sterlings play a 2nd considering he spent most of his time 300' feet from batters most of the season particularly with the way Colby is handling 3rd. Halter and Fabian share the same problems hitting from opp. sides of the plate. Dead pull hitters that are way too quick to bite at the high heat and little discipline. IMO they should both ( if they haven't already) change their approach at the plate. In season ain't the time to work on having more power to all parts of the field but they can work on approach. They should both just make the plate smaller and hunt in the inner half and let the outer just go, they already have anyway cause it's usually a roll over grounder or a DP ball (seen Jud hit into that multiple times this year). Be who you are in season and get better as a hitter when the season is over.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Now that was quite an ending. The only guy happier than Thompson has to be Jud Fabian. He was on deck and did not have to make the 3rd out with 2 runners on base. WHEW!. Nice going Thompson.

Perhaps "Lemen" Jr. should have intentionally walked Thompson and left that sinker ball throwing righty face Jud. Oh well the apple does not fall far from the tree.

If Sully is supposed to be teaching guys how to strike out he deserves a raise. Fifteen, that's a big '15' strikeouts last night.
I thought that teaching guys how to get on base and cross home plate was the key to winning baseball games.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
If Sully is supposed to be teaching guys how to strike out he deserves a raise. Fifteen, that's a big '15' strikeouts last night.
I thought that teaching guys how to get on base and cross home plate was the key to winning baseball games.
To hit with power with the correct launch angle, one must swing for the fences every at bat. See Mickey Mantle's SO percentage. Of course every ball player ain't MM; a fact that seems to be lost on modern coaches.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
He may not have the best arm, but we need his bat. Thanks, Sterlin for giving the Gator fans a spectacular ending.

So now that we won the series against the #12 noles, we have the same record, and a better RPI. We both won our series against the #9 canes, and we have won 10 of our last 12 games. This has got to look good for the regional selection.

But, we need to sweep this weekend to be above .500 in the conference; a series win we are at .500. If we can somehow end up above .500, we have a chance for a 6 or 7 seed in next week's SEC tournament.

Our best shot in the tournament will be the 6 seed against the 11 seed on Tuesday in a single elimination game; winner plays the 3 seed in double elimination. If we end up a 7, 8, 9 or 10 seed the winner plays the 1 or 2 seed.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
He may not have the best arm, but we need his bat. Thanks, Sterlin for giving the Gator fans a spectacular ending.

So now that we won the series against the #12 noles, we have the same record, and a better RPI. We both won our series against the #9 canes, and we have won 10 of our last 12 games. This has got to look good for the regional selection.

But, we need to sweep this weekend to be above .500 in the conference; a series win we are at .500. If we can somehow end up above .500, we have a chance for a 6 or 7 seed in next week's SEC tournament.

Our best shot in the tournament will be the 6 seed against the 11 seed on Tuesday in a single elimination game; winner plays the 3 seed in double elimination. If we end up a 7, 8, 9 or 10 seed the winner plays the 1 or 2 seed.
I guess it doesn't matter. I was watching the Gator game on SEC and some ESPN hack said that Tennessee had the greatest college baseball team in the history of college baseball this year. Almost a direct quote.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
To hit with power with the correct launch angle, one must swing for the fences every at bat. See Mickey Mantle's SO percentage. Of course every ball player ain't MM; a fact that seems to be lost on modern coaches.

The focus on personal goals over team goals is why I am quickly losing interest in college sports these days. Baseball used to be different than football and basketball in that regard but It’s clear that *most* all college sports have sunk to the same level.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I guess it doesn't matter. I was watching the Gator game on SEC and some ESPN hack said that Tennessee had the greatest college baseball team in the history of college baseball this year. Almost a direct quote.

That may be true, but there have been some very good teams in the past. Just in our conference; MSU, LSU, TAMU and USC all have been outrageous in the past. Texas and Cal State Fullerton use to bury teams.

We will see who is best this year in a couple of weeks, but to say the greatest team ever? I just looked up some records: Wichita State went 73-14 in 1982 and TAMU team had a 58-5 regular season record in '89. The vols are very good, but they have some ground to make up to be the greatest of all time. Anyway, being from Louisville Ky, I always thought Ali was the Greatest of All Time!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.