Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
McStains could very well still be here if he hadn't lied about death threats.

net, i was with you until this statement. The death threats didn't fire butters, it just made it cheaper. He wrote his ticket out the door on Jan 1st 2017, when blasting the administration on their comment right after the Outback bowl win (less than two months after his raise).

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
net, i was with you until this statement. The death threats didn't fire butters, it just made it cheaper. He wrote his ticket out the door on Jan 1st 2017, when blasting the administration on their comment right after the Outback bowl win (less than two months after his raise).

It was the death threats that finally opened the door for them to act. I think you are aggressively agreeing with me.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was the death threats that finally opened the door for them to act. I think you are aggressively agreeing with me.

They already were compiling a list of candidates labor day weekend. Strickland has even mentioned how that was the turning point for Butters.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
They already were compiling a list of candidates labor day weekend. Strickland has even mentioned how that was the turning point for Butters.

Its different situations and didn't mean to insinuate that Butters wouldn't have been fired had he not step on his d with the death threats presser...just pointing out that was the last straw, not losses. FTR, I think butters would have been gone after that season and was exaggerating the point that losses are straws but the last straw was public statements that discredit the university or put them in awkward spots. Mullen having 4 loss seasons isn't going to produce enough straws for him to be canned. Continuing to step on his d in pressers will.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Its different situations and didn't mean to insinuate that Butters wouldn't have been fired had he not step on his d with the death threats presser...just pointing out that was the last straw, not losses. FTR, I think butters would have been gone after that season and was exaggerating the point that losses are straws but the last straw was public statements that discredit the university or put them in awkward spots. Mullen having 4 loss seasons isn't going to produce enough straws for him to be canned. Continuing to step on his d in pressers will.

All the comment did was lessen the buyout and expediate the firing (which the second part might be questionable). I agree it wasn't the loses... but it was the presser biting the hand that feed him. Then you had the credit card scandal, which was a huge black eye on the administration, and if it wasn't so late before the season that would have been the last we heard from the man. Muschamp, Butters and eventually Mullen have done more damage to their career at UF in front of a mic then on the field.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, yeah...its still the SEC. But without being a homer, the East has been crap compared to the west. UK and USC have been a little better than they traditionally have been. UT is worse than they ever have been. Vandy is vandy. Mizzou, though seems to have our number, aint nothing special. UGA is it. There isn't a single team other than UGA worth anything. Even they are a let down when how much talent they actually have is factored in. And throw in UF, as you point out, we are not that big of a deal right now either.

Its all relative though. Dan Mullen is saying in media days today that his schedule this time around is stacked with teams that have more talent than his first go around at UF. No...not true...he just doesn't have anywhere near the talent on UF this go around as he did his first go around. He can spin it all he wants but that is the truth. But its relative, so he is still getting the 9-10 wins a year.

We went 8-4 last season with probably the best offense we are going to have for another 10 years. LSU was that game you speak about. Heck...Oklahoma was the cherry on top. Zook got fired because he followed Spurrier. Mullen is following complete and utter failures. What gets Mullen fired is saying and/or doing stupid things like he did last year. McStains could very well still be here if he hadn't lied about death threats.

I still think you're misreading my comments. You'll get no argument from me on the state of the East. It's down. That's not the point. I'll use this example. When fsu started really spiraling and losing to teams like Wake, NCSt, Usf, etc., it wasn't because those teams suddenly became good. It's that the massive difference in talent had slowly evaporated and teams went in feeling they could beat them. We're getting close to that point. And based on the first 3 years, there's nothing to indicate we're able to go in and just crush those teams. So we'll be in serious battles every year. That eventually spells trouble. I'll agree with Douglas that Mullen's off-field issues may be of greater concern in the long run. But what I'm saying, and have been saying, is that there's really not a lot of middle ground at a place like UF. If we're not pulling in the type of classes we should be, then there will be minimum 3 games a season that we're outmanned. In addition, Uk has proven they can beat us, Usce took leads into the 4th against us twice with WM at the helm, and Mizzou is gritty enough to be fight each time. That's not sustainable. Guys like Spurrier and Meyer brought in enough talent by year 4 that those games were a breeze and he could basically focus on the real challenges. In short, they recognized that unless you're blowing certain teams out based almost purely on talent, you'll slip up eventually because it's hard getting teams of 18-21 year olds "up" every week. You have to stack the odds in your favor and we're not doing that.

To Mullen's comments, he may actually be right. There probably is a slight uptick at places like Usce and Uk. But the lack of disparity is entirely self-inflicted. I've said before, UF is one of the few places that if you just take car of your own house, you don't have to worry about what anyone else--including uga and the noles-- is doing. We're just not doing that. This year's class is bearing that out. I've talked about the lack of facilities and top-level commitment being a concern. But we're closer today than we were the past two seasons, and our class looks maybe worse. It's about work ethic and hiring(or not letting leave) the right guys. He's not done that and it will likely bite him.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Im just saying, and maybe I am misunderstanding you, that he has a lot of 3-4 loss seasons that he can ride before he gets fired. Its not the same Florida as how you describe. The university is showing it doesn't care unless the program takes a complete nose dive. That middle ground you talk about has moved after the last 10 years. As long as UF has a functioning offense and wins 9-10 games a year (and that aint changing anytime soon with the state of the east) then the only thing pushing him out is his mouth. Last season shows it. Any heat he is feeling has nothing to do with 4 losses and everything to do with recruiting violations, presser comments and fiascos like Mizzou (on top of Vandy the previous year).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Im just saying, and maybe I am misunderstanding you, that he has a lot of 3-4 loss seasons that he can ride before he gets fired. Its not the same Florida as how you describe. The university is showing it doesn't care unless the program takes a complete nose dive. That middle ground you talk about has moved after the last 10 years. As long as UF has a functioning offense and wins 9-10 games a year (and that aint changing anytime soon with the state of the east) then the only thing pushing him out is his mouth. Last season shows it. Any heat he is feeling has nothing to do with 4 losses and everything to do with recruiting violations, presser comments and fiascos like Mizzou (on top of Vandy the previous year).

Yeah, I just don't agree. 9-10, which I think will be a stretch without some serious changes, is the 8-9 of old and will mean we're dropping nearly every meaningful game plus an embarrassment somewhere else along the way which means we have no shot at even the East. I don't care how lackadaisical Stricklin and Fuchs want to be. They don't control how all of the money is spent. I happened to be around Foley briefly before and after the 2014 uga game. The sense of relief he had afterward was very visible. I'm pretty sure that's the game where the picture of him hugging WM afterward came from. He didn't want to have to make the call, but was going to be forced to by the people withholding funds. That game was a momentary reprieve.

The boosters, while imperfect themselves, will not stand for being mired in mediocrity, especially considering the zero-sum-game element of things where we're watching rivals like fsu, um and uga thrive off of our missteps.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is the only positive thing Butters did. He forced and shamed Fooley to not do a micro IPF that would only hold 1/4 of practice at a time and a two-story double-wide trailer for the all-in-one.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is the only positive thing Butters did. Forced Fooley not to do a micro IPF that would only hold 1/4 of practice at a time and a two story double wide trailer for the all-in-one.

You mean the irony that Butters did more for facilities than any coach since 2009....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I just don't agree. 9-10 is the 8-9 of old
Exactly. "10 win season" meant something in an 11+1 format.

Today, 10-4 equals 8-4 from the good ole days, and equals to losing to every team woth a pulse or going 1-4.

I didn't care how lackadaisical Stricklin and Fuchs want to be. They don't control how all of the money is spent. I happened to be around Foley briefly before and after the 2014 uga game. .
I hope youre right. I WANT you to be right. Ive declared we wont keep a guy who is 1-3 or 1-4 vs UGA.

But, deep down, Im not 100% sure we care anymore. I mean, hiring Dan Mullen was pretty much waiving the white flag from the beginning.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
eah, I just don't agree. 9-10, which I think will be a stretch without some serious changes

Yeah, I think counting bowl games Mullen is a shoe in for at least 9 wins every season. I also think he will scrounge enough to get the occasional 11 win season just as many times he gets the occasional 8 win season. I see nothing but crappy NY6 games in our future and then a lot pity playoff births once it goes to 12 wins. What gets him fired is the things he does and says from the heat/pressure he feels from the fans/media. I dont think he feels any heat from Stricky or Fuchs for being our Richt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I think counting bowl games Mullen is a shoe in for at least 9 wins .
Bowl games are games and theyve always counted.

This is that Chump era theory that bowl game losses dont count therefore he was 11-2.

Or Butters trying to claim he was 10-2 bc he wanted to exclude the SECCG losses too.

Only losers try to exclude losses.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Just went back to 2015 for this list.

List of 5 stars that have committed to Alabama from the state of Florida
2015: Calvin Ridley
2017: Alex Leatherwood, Dylan Moses (IMG Implant), Jerry Jeudy
2018: Patrick Surtain
2019: Trey Sanders, Evan Neal
2021: JC Latham, Dallas Turner, and Jacorey Brooks (Just the number 1st, 2nd, and 8th ranked recruits in the state of Florida, no big deal.)

I guess they were just a bunch of overrated nobodies who never accomplished anything at Bama. Just insignificant players who never even came close to playing a significant role for a team that won a national championship. Let's not even mention the NFL because we know there is no way they got drafted.

Dan should talk to whoever is giving these rankings and teach them a lesson. :facepalm:
Jesus, you can't make this $HIT up.

This doesn't even account for the other high 4-star kids from Florida they grab every year (kids ranked in the top 250 overall, and top 30 of so from the state):

Just from the 2021 class (not counting 3 5-stars from Florida): Agiye Hall (44th overall), Terrion Arnold (50th overall), Koht (58th overall), Christian Leary (74th overall)

2020 class: Tim Smith (56th overall), Thaiu Jones-Bell (142nd overall), Jahquez Robinson (296 overall)

2019 class: Jordan Battle (43rd), Braylen Ingraham (164th)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"I tellya what...here's a guy...I mean...you wanna talk about...and yet...right?"
Good God.

He interviewed that guy and thought "here is my boy.... I need to make him a multimillionaire."

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Bowl games are games and theyve always counted.

This is that Chump era theory that bowl game losses dont count therefore he was 11-2.

Or Butters trying to claim he was 10-2 bc he wanted to exclude the SECCG losses too.

Only losers gave to exclude losses.

200w.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.