Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Again, no desire to continue making a very simple math related point. I’ve stated no less than 5 times in this thread that the losses are the losses and he’ll have to answer for that. Never disputed them, never implied the season plays out differently. The initial post was about UF suddenly being ok with 8-4, which isn’t supported by one modified season where only ten games were played, all SEC. If that’s the case then Ohio State must be ok with 7 win teams. It’s just not that hard to understand that we’d have been 10-4 in any other normal season because we would’ve played two additional meaningless games that are factored into every win total ever recorded. Still not good enough, still ok with the quest for someone else. But still doesn’t make the initial claim any less inaccurate. I could explain this to a squirrel or medium intelligence sloth and get more clarity of response.
It's not the number of wins you idgit it's the losses. 10-4 same as 8-4. But you are kinda making my point by even arguing that 10-4 is somehow more respectable. That's accepting mediocrity.

The Gator standard (should be) winning the SEC and hopefully going 12-0 to get there. But that is impossible when
bama, UGay, LSU, AtM, and OK
out recruit us.
We will never win anything at the rate that we are recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
out recruit us.
I said when he was hired Id give him a pass on the first two years but I needed to see elite recruiting.

It is clear recruiting just isnt a priority. You can talk recruit or die or all that shtt he and Butters both said, but their actions just dint fit their words. Both are extremely lazy.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
It's not the number of wins you idgit it's the losses. 10-4 same as 8-4. But you are kinda making my point by even arguing that 10-4 is somehow more respectable. That's accepting mediocrity.

The Gator standard (should be) winning the SEC and hopefully going 12-0 to get there. But that is impossible when
out recruit us.

Let’s be honest. We could be pulling in Top 3 classes the past several years and we’re still not winning shyt with Mullen as our head coach. The only thing he’d be doing bringing in better classes is hopefully setting the table for the next guy.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Let’s be honest. We could be pulling in Top 3 classes the past several years and we’re still not winning shyt with Mullen as our head coach. The only thing he’d be doing bringing in better classes is hopefully setting the table for the next guy.
I knew when we hired him we had settled on mediocrity. After a brief meltdown, I accepted it as the needed move for stability. I just hoped he’d do a Zook and leave the cupboard well stocked for the next guy.
D3D25CBD-0CD5-4B61-A354-6B22E99ACFED.gif

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I think talent matters a lot more than coaching. Even a mediocre coach can win with great talent. Zook couldn't because he was less than mediocre. As was Chump. Mullen won't win because he keeps bums like Slobby Toddy around.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I think talent matters a lot more than coaching. Even a mediocre coach can win with great talent. Zook couldn't because he was less than mediocre. As was Chump. Mullen won't win because he keeps bums like Slobby Toddy around.

I’ll disagree with you on this point. A kick-azz coach with the 8th -10th ranked averages class will smoke a mediocre coach who pulls annual Top 3 classes 9 times out of 10, IMO.

The truth, though, is we shouldn’t have to choose either/or. We should have a great staff and consistently pull top ranked classes.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I said when he was hired Id give him a pass on the first two years but I needed to see elite recruiting.

It is clear recruiting just isnt a priority. You can talk recruit or die or all that shtt he and Butters both said, but their actions just dint fit their words. Both are extremely lazy.
I think Mullen want's to recruit elite players but for what ever reason they just can not close on the top players. What ever Myers had in charming players into coming to Fl. , Mullen just doesn't have the midas touch.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I don’t think his personality turns off recruits. They just don’t close. So let’s say a recruit is being pursued by three top level P5 programs. They are basically telling the recruit anything he wants to hear. Telling him that he’s a star. Urban Meyer talked about this a lot. He basically groveled to recruits and then he would have to send the recruit through a “decruitment” their 1st 3 months on campus.

Virtually all recruits say that Mullen does none of that. He tells them they can commit if they want. Or they can not commit. They should weigh all their offers and do what’s best for them. He really pushes a paternal/family vibe. Which recruits dig. And it’s the reason why he’s in the hunt for so many recruits. Particularly early in a cycle. Because it makes them feel safe.

But it only takes you so far. As recruiting really ramps up and they get used to the attention and the pitches, they really look for who truly offers them something exciting. Mullen doesn’t do that.

And that’s the reason he can’t close on the big dogs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll disagree with you on this point. A kick-azz coach with the 8th -10th ranked averages class will smoke a mediocre coach who pulls annual Top 3 classes 9 times out of 10, IMO.
If youre referring to Douchebag the Hunchback, his record against top teams is one of the worst in history.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
If youre referring to Douchebag the Hunchback, his record against top teams is one of the worst in history.

Are you drunk? You’ve seen probably a couple hundred posts by me that I think Mullen sux balls…but now you’re wondering if the kick azz coach I’m referring to is Dan Darth Vader??? Seriously?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don’t think his personality turns off recruits. They just don’t close. So let’s say a recruit is being pursued by three top level P5 programs. They are basically telling the recruit anything he wants to hear. Telling him that he’s a star. Urban Meyer talked about this a lot. He basically groveled to recruits and then he would have to send the recruit through a “decruitment” their 1st 3 months on campus.

Virtually all recruits say that Mullen does none of that. He tells them they can commit if they want. Or they can not commit. They should weigh all their offers and do what’s best for them. He really pushes a paternal/family vibe. Which recruits dig. And it’s the reason why he’s in the hunt for so many recruits. Particularly early in a cycle. Because it makes them feel safe.

But it only takes you so far. As recruiting really ramps up and they get used to the attention and the pitches, they really look for who truly offers them something exciting. Mullen doesn’t do that.

And that’s the reason he can’t close on the big dogs.

A lot of that is true, but it also has to do w/ his staff. Who TF wants to play for Todd Grantham? You don't hear players singing his praises. Same w/ Hevesy, he's a d*ck. It's no coincidence that we struggled along the DL (especially the first two seasons, signing two heavy DLs) and we're struggling mightily along the OL. I'd be happy to see Knox go too, but as we've all talked about - his hands are tied w/ this offense, I don't blame any good HS RB for not looking here (why TF Bowman & Lingard chose to come here is a mystery). I don't think we had a single 100 yard rushing game last year from a RB and the most carries by a RB was around 15 in a single game (I know, I know...we passed a lot more). Now, w/ EJ, our RB's will be splitting carries w/ the QB. So - get rid of Grantham & Hevesy I think we'd see a bump in our recruiting by landing a few extra higher ranked kids each year from their position groups.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I don't think we had a single 100 yard rushing game last year from a RB

I actually looked this up a week or so ago and I think I remember that Mullen's offense basically gets 2-3 games a year that a RB gets over 100 in a game. Most of the time the highest yards per game rushing by a RB was between 40-80 yards. During the Fitzgerald era the RBs got 4-5 a year. I meant to go back and see if those +100 games were the result of the RB breaking a long one but never got around to looking at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator