Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I probably should be quoting Dude on this, but with the portal being what it is, would it not be less risky to try to maintain what we have and even reach a little from a perception standpoint? I think back on guys like Sledge and a few others in that 2005 class that were gone within a year or so, but helped the appearance that we were gaining immediate traction under
Meyer. Feels like the slower approach and the way the class falls back could hurt us much more so than having a few bodies that maybe don’t pan out and can be portaled out in a few years. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s making me nervous.

I vowed to be a pumper for the foreseeable future so I must defend his approach…even if his approach makes no sense to an idiot like me

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I’d pump the brakes on any recruiting enthusiasm right now. I think we’re gonna be shocked at how few we sign on ESD and we’ll try to get some guys late and through the portal. Expect more attrition from this class and few flips. He laid it all out there in his presser he’s going to take his time hiring staff and recruiting. He’s not gonna sign guys just for class ranking. We’re gonna end up with a very small class I think.

He sounded like they were gonna go full blast on what's left over in February and then in the portal.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I probably should be quoting Dude on this, but with the portal being what it is, would it not be less risky to try to maintain what we have and even reach a little from a perception standpoint? I think back on guys like Sledge and a few others in that 2005 class that were gone within a year or so, but helped the appearance that we were gaining immediate traction under
Meyer. Feels like the slower approach and the way the class falls back could hurt us much more so than having a few bodies that maybe don’t pan out and can be portaled out in a few years. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s making me nervous.
The guy sounded pretty genuine in his press conference when he said he's building a culture here. Him not taking on guys that he doesn’t think will pan out may truly be his plan. Maybe the days of taking non qualifiers , bad fits and other risky players for the sake of boosting our recruiting rankings is over?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully the days of just taking who we can to make us look good on signing day are over.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nick Evers decomitted. Okay now I'm losing my shcit. Is it too late to retract my culture comment?:lol:

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
QB Nick Evers decommits from the Florida Gators

Yeah its going to be a VERY small class and ranked in the 50s it looks like. ROCK BOTTOM for recruiting. Idk when we were this low in the recruiting rankings. The portal will be the only thing to save us but even then after all the transfers out, its going to be a VERY ROUGH year next year with ZERO talent on the team thanks to Mullen.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
These coaches all have a plan to come in and take over pre-Bill Snyder KSU and rebuild it from the ground up. We hire them for a UF program that is pretty good, but not where we want it to be and they flounder.

Last edited:

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
QB Nick Evers decommits from the Florida Gators

Yeah its going to be a VERY small class and ranked in the 50s it looks like. ROCK BOTTOM for recruiting. Idk when we were this low in the recruiting rankings. The portal will be the only thing to save us but even then after all the transfers out, its going to be a VERY ROUGH year next year with ZERO talent on the team thanks to Mullen.

When is it time to start panicking?

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When is it time to start panicking?
When he said “I’m going to be honest, we may only have a handful of guys that choose to sign”, I was thinking yea Nick Evers and a few others. This is going to be a ghost town.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
So, Napier goes for an in house visit and Evers promptly de-commits. Oof.

The 2020 and 2021 classes are gonna have to step up and carry a heavy load. Might be able to spring a couple surprises with good development and coaching, but as those two classes leave the black hole of this recruiting class is going to hurt in the second and third years of this staff’s tenure. I think that is why Napier is preaching the patience line. Buckle up.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gibson, CJ Smith, and Lightsley haven’t been contacted. CJ Smith and Evers decommit. This is a fiasco.

I hope it’s part of his plan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.