Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The only thing I am worried about with Evers decommitting is losing Gibson. He is a stud WR and just got a big bump into the top 50 of recruit rankings. Napier needs to reach out ASAP and keep him in the fold.

And maybe get AR15 to give him a call, too.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Holy cow there is alot of nervous Bettys freaking out over this Evers decommit even tho he only completes 54% of his passes and has a ton of ints? He is an obvious project. Yes we want a QB or 2 in this class but can you take a fuchin breath and see what we get before your panties get all wrangled up? Calm them titties down a notch.
Next time just say “We didn’t want him anyway!”

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's a lot that can happen over the next two months. I'll wait to panic then. Typically though a coach's first class doesn't have many contributors anyway. That's why most new coaches have fewer wins in their third year compared to year two. But the transfer portal can help, and we know Napier plans to use it to fill immediate deficiencies.

The second class is where you can more accurately predict sunshine or doom and gloom for the future. Napier must have a top 7 class for 2023. I think he'll get there.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
The only thing I am worried about with Evers decommitting is losing Gibson. He is a stud WR and just got a big bump into the top 50 of recruit rankings. Napier needs to reach out ASAP and keep him in the fold.

agreed. Losing Gibson would be the worse indicator of what is happening as opposed to Evers bailing.

And I agree with ox. This year’s situation is in flux not just for us, but A LOT of big programs. The post-esd pool for signees and transfers will be the largest it’s ever been and I think that is where they are setting their sights.

and Napier kept AR15 around it seems. Don’t forget how crucial that is. And it seems he kept Bogle here too. And with better coaching (fingers crossed) the 20 and 21 kids could step up. There were some good recruits in those classes who have not been well served by Mullen and co.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
If the kid decommits because the coach says he's looking to sign to QBs then good we don't need a kid who doesn't understand having other options is good for a team overall this is not high-school where your only competition at qb is the punter.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I mean where are these kids going to go where they don't have competition? Tennessee!? South Carolina!? Vanderbilt!? Kentucky!? Even though these schools have had a smithering of success lately history has proven they don't and can't sustain that success and their coaches have proven that. I'm happy with a coach who has proven he can build a winning program from the ground up. Yes it was at a smaller school but he did it and sustained it.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Regardless of where this class ends up ranked it’s not on Napier. Recruit’s have been jumping ship for months now.
So get out the iron and get the wrinkles out of your panties, back away from the edge of the cliff and above all else don’t panic, it very unbecoming and FSU like.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a lot that can happen over the next two months. I'll wait to panic then. Typically though a coach's first class doesn't have many contributors anyway. That's why most new coaches have fewer wins in their third year compared to year two. But the transfer portal can help, and we know Napier plans to use it to fill immediate deficiencies.

The second class is where you can more accurately predict sunshine or doom and gloom for the future. Napier must have a top 7 class for 2023. I think he'll get there.

The way the transfer portal is nowadays it can be used to fill immediate needs as well as future needs - freshman can transfer and not even sit out. There are plenty of these examples, especially from the schools who are having coaching changes. If he can pull 3+ 'future' needs, it's not much different than signing HS kids (most will have 3+ years of eligibility) in addition to adding 'immediate' needs. I'm not worried about what's going on. Sure, I want ten 5-star flips as well as 15 4-stars....but that ain't happenin'.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
agreed. Losing Gibson would be the worse indicator of what is happening as opposed to Evers bailing.

And I agree with ox. This year’s situation is in flux not just for us, but A LOT of big programs. The post-esd pool for signees and transfers will be the largest it’s ever been and I think that is where they are setting their sights.

and Napier kept AR15 around it seems. Don’t forget how crucial that is. And it seems he kept Bogle here too. And with better coaching (fingers crossed) the 20 and 21 kids could step up. There were some good recruits in those classes who have not been well served by Mullen and co.

According to the recruiting sites, as of yesterday nobody from Napier's staff has reached out to Gibson. Speculation on why is wide - from 'BN doesn't want him' to 'we haven't hired a WR coach yet'. Gibson said he's awaiting contact. I agree though, this is one we should want to keep. Especially considering we offered the WR from Texas who's a mid 3-star.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Billy straight up told us what he was gonna do. We gator fans have patience issues (myself included), but we gotta let it play out.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BN supposed to visit IMG today....which means they're going to start hitting the Florida HS's!!

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Regardless of where this class ends up ranked it’s not on Napier. Recruit’s have been jumping ship for months now.
So get out the iron and get the wrinkles out of your panties, back away from the edge of the cliff and above all else don’t panic, it very unbecoming and FSU like.

This, times infinity. Mullen quit recruiting and coaching for us a long time ago. Napier has walked into a 5 alarm fire, and he doesn't have a lot of time or options. I don't believe anyone can reasonably blame Napier if recruiting goes tits up this year. He seems to be trying (he's been in more houses in 3 days than I ever saw from Mullen in 4 years), and seems to be representing the brand well. Other than hoping we get lucky, that's about all we can ask for at this point. I refuse to freak out over losing a guy who committed to Dipsh!t Dan Mullen.

There will obviously be a lot of openings for guys who are looking for immediate playing time, and I expect the portal to be our best option this year. No, it's not a long term solution, but we may have to settle for a bandaid on a gunshot wound at this point. This is Mullen's fault. Not Napier's.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
So, Napier goes for an in house visit and Evers promptly de-commits. Oof.

The 2020 and 2021 classes are gonna have to step up and carry a heavy load. Might be able to spring a couple surprises with good development and coaching, but as those two classes leave the black hole of this recruiting class is going to hurt in the second and third years of this staff’s tenure. I think that is why Napier is preaching the patience line. Buckle up.
Matt Corral redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member