Status
Not open for further replies.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We need to consider that the portal is pretty loaded right now too. I can see that being a band-aid this year but meat and potatoes needs to always come from regular signings.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
"New wine in old wineskins"
I'm not particularly worried.
The last staff didn't recruit or develop talent well. Kids leaving are their kids. And tbh, we don't know what they got told. Maybe it was just enough to test their loyalty.

Nice Analogy

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Letting a top 50 Fl WR slip through your fingers because of your “process” is inexcusable. I am on board with most of what I have seen so far. We can live without Evers and Smith, but keeping Gibson in the class was important. How do you not prioritize that? This is a real head scratcher for me, there was no possible downside to putting a priority on keeping him.
We do not know if there has been contact from the staff? You would think somebody with credibility went to see him or the staff was in touch daily. A phone call from the HC?

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not worried Napier said this was about evaluating recruits. He's been out visiting, these kids talking about building a relationship with Mullen hell they probably only got texts from an assistant pretending to be Mullen

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
pretty sure him and toney were committed to mac before the firing, so its not as if mullens went out and landed them.
Toney played for Mac and Mullens, Pitts only played for Mullen... but yes, both were initially committed before Mullen took the job.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Did Fooley , I mean Strichs , ask for a resume as well.
If there is any truth or accuracy to the notion he asked for tape it would more likely be that they were informed he will be looking at tape. But even that seems incredibly awkward.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We need to consider that the portal is pretty loaded right now too. I can see that being a band-aid this year but meat and potatoes needs to always come from regular signings.

Been saying this for years, and mullenites celebrated transfer portal championships... like the foreskins celebrated free agency championships.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Been saying this for years, and mullenites celebrated transfer portal championships... like the foreskins celebrated free agency championships.
Sign 15 HS recruits who were lauded using mullen's evaluations then hit the portal for another five guys. Next thing we know, our roster has 60 guys on scholarship.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds to me like we got rid of some pre-madonnas. If you ain't a gator you're non gender non race specific gator food

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Yes and no to the band aid. Transfers aren't just jucos and grad transfers anymore. For example, Bowman isn't a band aid. There is a lot of young talent at Oregon, USC, ND, OU, LSU and so on right now that might feel a bit slighted by being lied to by their ex-coach (except LSU).

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
My completely uneducated guess:

When Dorky Dan speaks to them, it’s all fun and games, not a single mention of hard work, dedication, and sacrifice,

Napier comes in and says, I require hard work and dedication. It won’t always be fun, but it’s what’s required to make you a better person and player.

Camp cupcake is not an option, so they bounce.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
pretty sure him and toney were committed to mac before the firing, so its not as if mullens went out and landed them.

As far as Pitts, that's true, but he did not run him away either. Pretty sure Toney was in the 2017 last butters class, not in 2018.

My point is just because a player was committed to the last failed coach does not make a transition class "utterly useless".

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes and no to the band aid. Transfers aren't just jucos and grad transfers anymore. For example, Bowman isn't a band aid. There is a lot of young talent at Oregon, USC, ND, OU, LSU and so on right now that might feel a bit slighted by being lied to by their ex-coach (except LSU).

There is always is always a reason they are in the portal.... for every good contributor, you get a few other dudes who is going to ride the pine. How many transfers do you plan on us getting.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
There is always is always a reason they are in the portal.... for every good contributor, you get a few other dudes who is going to ride the pine. How many transfers do you plan on us getting.

I aint planning on any. I was just pointing out that there are several teams loaded with some young talent that had their coaches sneak out in the middle of the night or fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.