Gator Baseball 2023 Gator Baseball Thread- CWS Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Gators give up 11 walks tonight and lose 10-8. The bullpen is in shambles!! Did Craig Bell scout these guys or has Sully been sleepwalking for the past 3 years? At the plate, half the hitters were swinging at pitches 3 feet out of the strike zone and watching close pitches with the bat on their shoulders. The Miami series should give us a forecast of what the season holds. Contenders or pretenders?
My guess on the choice of pitches to swing at has something to do with the philosophy of running up the pitch count and "seeing alot of pitches". I HATE that tactic and it takes away the aggressive bat which is how young players should learn to hit. As far as the pitching goes, Maxprep, PG and PBF do all the scouting now. Just look them up on the website and their ranking and top velo. Don't worry about actually scouting them during an actual game.

HS pitchers throwing +90 can throw the ball over the plate all day long and K up a ton. When you get to this level...not so much. Then all of sudden they have to locate and disrupt timing while still finding part of the plate. Oh... and the new wrist band baseball....that's really helping out the pitcher when you keep calling pitches from the dugout that the pitcher knows didn't look good in the pen that day.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Gators give up 11 walks tonight and lose 10-8. The bullpen is in shambles!! Did Craig Bell scout these guys or has Sully been sleepwalking for the past 3 years? At the plate, half the hitters were swinging at pitches 3 feet out of the strike zone and watching close pitches with the bat on their shoulders. The Miami series should give us a forecast of what the season holds. Contenders or pretenders?
i know its just 1 game but i dont think the preseason ranking fits where this team seems to be. Meanwhile other rival teams that didnt receive the initial fan fare look more consistent and are executing better on a game in/out basis. Hate to say it but I think its gonna be more of the same sully ball we have gotten used to.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
My guess on the choice of pitches to swing at has something to do with the philosophy of running up the pitch count and "seeing alot of pitches". I HATE that tactic and it takes away the aggressive bat which is how young players should learn to hit. As far as the pitching goes, Maxprep, PG and PBF do all the scouting now. Just look them up on the website and their ranking and top velo. Don't worry about actually scouting them during an actual game.

HS pitchers throwing +90 can throw the ball over the plate all day long and K up a ton. When you get to this level...not so much. Then all of sudden they have to locate and disrupt timing while still finding part of the plate. Oh... and the new wrist band baseball....that's really helping out the pitcher when you keep calling pitches from the dugout that the pitcher knows didn't look good in the pen that day.

My main gripe about the offensive plate approach is guys taking 3rd strikes instead of protecting the plate and spoiling borderline pitches.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My biggest issue with sully is the hitting and general offensive approach. It's all predicated on trying to get the opposing pitch count up, instead of it being on trying to get our kids to hit, put pressure on the defense and ultimately score runs. Its chicken or egg with him. He thinks if we get their counts up, that will create opportunities by getting into their relief, wearing them down and getting easier pitchers throwing, ultimately creating hits and runs. I hate this philosophy. What we should be doing is being aggressive at the plate. It allows kids to get in a rhythm, shows confidence, and lets hitters swing at pitches they like regardless of when they are thrown in the count. This also leads to hits, and scores which ultimately gets into an opponents pen and creates easier opportunities.

The singular at bat approach is awful, imo. We squat on decent stuff early to get the count up, but are forced to swing at whatever is thrown late, even if its tough pitches. Yeah, the pitcher got an extra 2 or 3 throws, but now you're down in the count, he has the advantage, and is gonna throw questionable stuff b/c he knows you cant risk another take. Sully is allergic to good offense.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
This is a really good link showing current statistics for all teams. UF is at or near the top in every offensive category to date. Seems like all the concern being opined about "offensive approach" may be misinformed or something else altogether.

Concern about the middle relievers and their inability to consistently throw strikes is spot on.

This weekend should show us exactly how we will stack up against SEC type talent. Go Gators, throw strikes, hit strikes.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This is a really good link showing current statistics for all teams. UF is at or near the top in every offensive category to date. Seems like all the concern being opined about "offensive approach" may be misinformed or something else altogether.

Concern about the middle relievers and their inability to consistently throw strikes is spot on.

This weekend should show us exactly how we will stack up against SEC type talent. Go Gators, throw strikes, hit strikes.

I am misinformed. It's my lying eyes. Hopefully we can maintain those stats when we face real pitching

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Shocked nobody has commented on us taking Miami to the woodshed in Game 1. This team MASHES

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
We love to go big on Offense. So far so good. Putting a 10 spot on a top program is impressive as is holding them to 4 hits. Big day tomorrow.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

I'm talking about the last ten years of sully ball. I don't care what it looks like thru 2 weeks of directional school ball. Get back with me when league play starts and we aren't squatting on everything thru 2 strikes.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Nice bounce back from that shyt on Wed. night and a bad start in the 1st inning tonight. Inconsistent ump behind home plate for both teams but did not allow that to get to them. A couple of brutal errors but thankfully that did not haunt them. Seemed like some the guys were swinging earlier in counts and not just for the fences given the wind was howling out to left field. Speaking of which the game was turned in the bottom of the 6th with UF up one, I was convinced that Sully was going to go to Neely to start the 7th if UF led by 3 or less, b/c in a tight game I think Sully trust no one out of the bullpen at this time other than Neely. But that wind aided homer by the little lefty PH in the bottom of the 6th (I like that kid, he puts the bat on the ball) and then a homer by Langford put them up four thus delaying Neely at the time. Add 2 more later on and what looked like a Neely game for sure went to no Neely at all, so he is now available for the next 2 if needed.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'm talking about the last ten years of sully ball. I don't care what it looks like thru 2 weeks of directional school ball. Get back with me when league play starts and we aren't squatting on everything thru 2 strikes.

This lineup is stacked my guy

We could have the #1 overall picks in the next two drafts

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
This lineup is stacked my guy

We could have the #1 overall picks in the next two drafts

giphy.gif

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Midweek games are exhibition's. This team can hit. Baseball is about getting hot at the right time, the season starts with two weeks left in league play. Go Gators

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Wasted a 14 SO gem by Waldrep. Fic, Slater, Jameson and Hartzog can't do the job in seventh and eighth giving turning a 3 run lead and allowing seven runs in two innings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator