Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
That was yesterday;s game.....today it was 16-2

2e8156c6-aaf0-4350-8392-8b85779d8fa7_text.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good opening weekend. Really nice to see Cags pitch today as he came in highly regarded. Surprised he went to 80 pitches given he had not thrown in a real game since HS. Throws hard but unlike Sproat seems to be around the plate often so his pitch count probably will not get elevated quickly, which is a good thing. I think against tougher opponents they will get contact on him regardless of velocity b/c his fastball does not have much movement, but that is okay as much better than walks and hit batters. Team looks to have plenty of arms barring injuries and just hope all those guys who got a chance to pitch last year have improved so that the bullpen can hold up this year. But on paper the team looks to be a serious contender.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good opening weekend. Really nice to see Cags pitch today as he came in highly regarded. Surprised he went to 80 pitches given he had not thrown in a real game since HS. Throws hard but unlike Sproat seems to be around the plate often so his pitch count probably will not get elevated quickly, which is a good thing. I think against tougher opponents they will get contact on him regardless of velocity b/c his fastball does not have much movement, but that is okay as much better than walks and hit batters. Team looks to have plenty of arms barring injuries and just hope all those guys who got a chance to pitch last year have improved so that the bullpen can hold up this year. But on paper the team looks to be a serious contender.
Too bad we don't play the game on paper! LOL

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Even though it’s Charleston Southern, a 37-5 opening weekend is quite impressive…some of the new faces had solid debuts (love that fast Robertson kid)…..Cags was the best of the 3 arms…I was surprised to read we haven’t been to the supers since 2018 (excluding 2020 of course)

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Russell is good doing baseball. Clearly enjoying himself…. How he sucks so badly on his daily show is mind blogging…
How he is good doing baseball is what's mind boggling. I can't stand the condescension of that man on his football postgame show. Anyone dumb enough to call in and criticize a bad effort deserves what they get from him.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
They certainly have more depth of pitching and position players than in recent seasons. Sully said he plans to use Brandon Neely in the closer role initially which should be an upgrade over last seasons committee.

Also, their approach at the plate seemed more disciplined with a lot of two out and two strike hits, putting balls in play with men on base and no outs or 1 is a marked improvement over the past couple seasons.

Defense was flawless as it should be considering all of the returning veterans and the talent recruited. Of course it is early and CS is not a quality opponent. USF is pretty good as they showed in last seasons regional and they played a tough opponent last weekend so we will have a better picture by next weekend.

A very good start for sure.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
6-1 final tonight at USF. Was very close the whole game until we tacked on those 4 in the 9th. We play them again tomorrow night at home. Nothing to complain about at the start of this season.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
6-1 final tonight at USF. Was very close the whole game until we tacked on those 4 in the 9th. We play them again tomorrow night at home. Nothing to complain about at the start of this season.
Our pitching was really good again. I wonder who he give the start to tomorrow?

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Shaky in 1st...A throwing error on 3rd baseman , a hit batsman and a single drove in their only run.
OK, a stat line with 1 run, 5 hits and 15K's thru 9 qualifies as really good pitching to me. Hope they are equally as good tomorrow night.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Game in Tampa tonight - Gators tack on two insurance HR's in the 9th:

I don’t know much about this kid, but I play cards with JD Shelnut. Anyhow, we look pretty solid from top to bottom starting the year out.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well that's baseball. Blow a 5 run lead in the 9th b/c the defense was atrocious and Purnell's Old Folks Country Sausage picks up right where he left off last year walking guys that could not hit water if they fell out of a boat. If he wants to try and throw sidearm, you can't throw a straight ball. Needs much more movement from that angle. But hey that happens. And I thought the guy who played catcher tonight was highly regarded. He is awful defensively.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Nineteen strikeouts in 2 games against USF. That does not bode well for us when we get into tougher SEC caliber pitching

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Score not really indicative of the game as the Gators can't be that sloppy on the mound or in the field against better teams. Evans made 2 errors in RF but was only charged with one. He is terrible defensively and should be the DH. The CF butchered a fly ball in the 1st inning and injured himself somehow while misplaying the fly ball. Sproat was his usual self. High pitch count, 2 Walks and 2 hit batters. Slater walked 3 hitters and hit one batter all in his 1st inning of work. 11 Cincy hitters reached base without ever having to take the bat off their shoulder. Way too many. Need to start improving in these areas soon. Real teams start appearing on the schedule soon.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Score not really indicative of the game as the Gators can't be that sloppy on the mound or in the field against better teams. Evans made 2 errors in RF but was only charged with one. He is terrible defensively and should be the DH. The CF butchered a fly ball in the 1st inning and injured himself somehow while misplaying the fly ball. Sproat was his usual self. High pitch count, 2 Walks and 2 hit batters. Slater walked 3 hitters and hit one batter all in his 1st inning of work. 11 Cincy hitters reached base without ever having to take the bat off their shoulder. Way too many. Need to start improving in these areas soon. Real teams start appearing on the schedule soon.
We haven't been playing real teams?

:dunno:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
A lot of bats in the Gator line up. Waldrep is the real deal as a SP. Cinn is not a quality team we should sweep them tomorrow. Evans ends it in the 8th with a 3 run HR to complete the run rule at 13-3.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Better effort today, but Cincy is terrible. Still think we are very questionable defensively in the outfield. As mentioned Waldrop is a Friday night guy, but do not think Sully will make the switch. He has better control that Sproat, but when he has a lot of K's like today it runs up the pitch count quickly. But like today he can get thru 6 with double digit K's and 100 pitches. Sproat was near 90 pitches last night and could not get thru 5. I like the consistency Waldrop offers in Game 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.