Recruiting 2024 Early Signing Day Thread

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think that they’re apples and oranges. Georgia doesn’t need transfer portal kids. They just need kids recruited from high school ranks that they develop and create into starters over time. We need talent infusion now. I don’t think waiting for three years for an OL to develop is going to sit well with the fanbase.

Georgia doesn’t need seven or eight kids from the portal.

You see the same thing happening with Ole Miss. They’re focusing on portal. You saw the same thing with FSU. They focused on portal. This is their first decent year in recruiting because they had to fix the on-field problems first.
There's some truth to this. We could also do both - see LSU as an example.

But it's not like we've leveraged the portal as much as we could either.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
That's the main reason I stopped coming here for a while. Thought the negativity would have died out. But, this place is just same ol same ol.

Now just back to lurking every once in a while.

What? You thought the negativity would die out after a disastrous 5-7 campaign and our top 5 recruiting class collapsing? Why?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Mental gymnastics.
And poor gymnastics at that....

comedy fail GIF by RETROFUNK

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
You really thought the team would get worse yet the negativity would get better?
We didn’t get worse but we need more personnel help on both lines and better coaching at every position group. Lagway is our best recruit in forever. I’m surprised he couldn’t draw more OL talent to follow him.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I get it. I'm just as frustrated with the current outcomes both on the field and off. More pissed off than frustrated

But, this place is constant doom and gloom. A lot of guys are negative about everything, even when something positive happens. On ESD, we should be celebrating these kids that choose to come to UF. But, some guys just bitch, moan, groan and bash constantly just to do it. Just not for me.

We all should feel positive about the direction with these kids signing. Is CBN living up to his hype/promises? Absolutely not. Can things be a lot better concerning this program? Absol****inglutely. I honestly think we could be at the top and those same people would be negative. These are the same ones that will get on SM and attack our current players, recruits and staff. Then complain and wonder why so and so entered the portal, decommitted, signed elsewhere and left.

Just my .02.
Heres my thing. I tend to be more even about things. They are generally not as bad nor as good as we may think. There are countless threads and posts on this board about how NIL and the transfer portal has changed everything. How these athletes are now just mercenaries for the highest bidder, etc, etc. But when kids act exactly the way one would expect given all the said posts, just because they were "committed" to UF it's different?! BN certainly has criticism that is merited, but if we are reasonable we should temper some of that criticism on this subject in light of this. I agree, he and or the admin needs figure out how to operate in this environment but the reality is there are several other factors outside of his control that contributed to losing players. On top of that, as I stated earlier, 50% of all these "mercenaries" will be with different teams within 2 years, so whats the point of taking these results as some sort of true barometer of the performance of the staff if all the other teams experience the same things?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Heres my thing. I tend to be more even about things. They are generally not as bad nor as good as we may think. There are countless threads and posts on this board about how NIL and the transfer portal has changed everything. How these athletes are now just mercenaries for the highest bidder, etc, etc. But when kids act exactly the way one would expect given all the said posts, just because they were "committed" to UF it's different?! BN certainly has criticism that is merited, but if we are reasonable we should temper some of that criticism on this subject in light of this. I agree, he and or the admin needs figure out how to operate in this environment but the reality is there are several other factors outside of his control that contributed to losing players. On top of that, as I stated earlier, 50% of all these "mercenaries" will be with different teams within 2 years, so whats the point of taking these results as some sort of true barometer of the performance of the staff if all the other teams experience the same things?
Hey, Let's discuss these factors out of Billy's control.
I'm not being an azz here. (I know that's a shock)
I'm seriously interested in these factors, that contributed to the decline of this class, that are out of Billy's control.

The way I see it, players don't want to play for a losing program.
This is proven by comments from the players themselves.
Billy's control.

Players losing their position coach.
Not sure if this was under Billy's control or not. Were they fired? Or, Did they leave on their own?

NIL Dollars?
Not under Billy's control.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
We didn’t get worse but we need more personnel help on both lines and better coaching at every position group. Lagway is our best recruit in forever. I’m surprised he couldn’t draw more OL talent to follow him.
OL guy don't make it to the NFL cause they played with DJ Lagway.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

If you are an offensive line recruit, and you saw what we put on tape. Do you think the current OL coaches are going to help you get to the next level? O'Cyrus Torrence who was graded at a late first round prospect early in 2022, fell to the bottom of the 2nd round in 2022. Has played well for the Bills. But outside of that, what tape says they are going to get you ready?

I wasn't a fan of the hiring of Napier, but the one positive I did give him was the focus on the lines., but he hasn't been able to seem to get that right. Whether it's trusting the wrong coaches, the poor recruiting at the position before him, or his staff's poor evaluation of talent.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
If you are an offensive line recruit, and you saw what we put on tape. Do you think the current OL coaches are going to help you get to the next level? O'Cyrus Torrence who was graded at a late first round prospect early in 2022, fell to the bottom of the 2nd round in 2022. Has played well for the Bills. But outside of that, what tape says they are going to get you ready?

I wasn't a fan of the hiring of Napier, but the one positive I did give him was the focus on the lines., but he hasn't been able to seem to get that right. Whether it's trusting the wrong coaches, the poor recruiting at the position before him, or his staff's poor evaluation of talent.
Yeah, I thought the whole "Two o line coaches!" was going to make that particular group, the best group on the team. In fact, I thought, having two coaches for a position group, would then propel members of said group to "All SEC" or even "All American" type accolades.

I'm thinking, I was "just a bit outside" with that.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Well, thats a double edge sword because they recruited the OL horribly and had a bunch of injuries (SC). So are they doing ok with the crappy talent they got or are they just horrible coached? I think its somewhere in the middle, which is I think the intent of the post you replied to.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, thats a double edge sword because they recruited the OL horribly and had a bunch of injuries (SC). So are they doing ok with the crappy talent they got or are they just horrible coached? I think its somewhere in the middle, which is I think the intent of the post you replied to.

Which is why I'm saying why would an 18 year old who wants to get into the league, come to be coached by them. When other/better options are available.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Which is why I'm saying why would an 18 year old who wants to get into the league, come to be coached by them. When other/better options are available.
They picked up a couple good recruits yesterday...not nearly enough...but a couple talented 18ish yr olds...you can ask them why they picked UF. Just saying, the coaching probably isn't as horrible as some make it to be and our crap production has a bit more to do with our crap recruiting. The few they have put in the league have done good thus far and, if I remember correctly, they did coach Torrence from the get go.

But...other places are doing the much better with just one on field coach. That 2nd OL coach should be an analyst. Its just dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.