Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see much difference. 2023 for nap should only be 3 since the dude never came. 6 in 24 looks a bit better but none of them have signed or showed up yet either. I'm not being a downer when I say we should reserve applause until they sign and enroll.
You don’t think there’s a difference?

I don’t know what to tell you.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You don’t think there’s a difference?

I don’t know what to tell you.
we are talking about the numbers presented. i dont see much difference in them. about 3 on avg for nap so far, no different than the last 2 stiffs. if he gets 6 next year thats great, but im not looking at 6 b/c it hasnt happened. the confirmed amounts so far are about the same as they have been. based on that, i dont think there's anything you can tell me. the numbers are what they are.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
we are talking about the numbers presented. i dont see much difference in them. about 3 on avg for nap so far, no different than the last 2 stiffs. if he gets 6 next year thats great, but im not looking at 6 b/c it hasnt happened. the confirmed amounts so far are about the same as they have been. based on that, i dont think there's anything you can tell me. the numbers are what they are.
So 2024 with an asterisk, as it could be fewer - or it could be more - than 6 who actually enroll.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In all fairness to Napier, he only had two months to recruit his first class, which skews the average. On paper his second class was the same as Mullen's best class, but a lot of the Mullen guys never panned out like we needed and was worse than advertised. Napier's third class is significantly better than anything the last two coaches have done. Looking at the top 200 guys, this '24 class has 10 players while the best Mullen had was 6, McElwain 5.

Another huge positive that isn't in the rankings is that Napier is filling needs and producing balanced classes, while the previous 3 coaches would leave certain position groups thin. Napier's classes and transfers are also significantly bigger in the trenches on both sides on the ball, Dez Watson's big butt as the only exception.

Things are definitely trending in the right direction. It's okay to be happy about that.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So 2024 with an asterisk, as it could be fewer - or it could be more - than 6 who actually enroll.
Yes. Should also be noted that the numbers are inflated in favor of nap even though the accurate amounts show equivalence. It gave nap 4 last cycle even though it was only 3. mullen and butters had some signees that never enrolled due to academic issues, those were not included in the tally but it gave nap credit for rashada even though he never enrolled, pushing the 2023 number to 4 to make it look better. It was 3, same as the previous year and the avg for the other guys.

if i had to GUESS, id say we are improving and I DO think nap is going to get us into that 5/6 range, maybe even more. Ive been critical of his in game management and play calling but so far the crootin looks pretty good; its the best part of his tenure here so far. But I dont credit him for 6 next cycle until the ink is dried. Butters had a monster class rolling in right up until he didnt.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
In all fairness to Napier, he only had two months to recruit his first class, which skews the average.
Did butters and mullen not have about the same? Mullen was hired 1 day after fsu game. Napier was hired maybe 2 weeks after? I honestly dont remember about butters, but in the great scheme of things theres not much difference in hiring/crootin time for mullen and nap so this is a non starter unless you also want to give mullen a pass for his first class in which case, by the numbers, they are still the same.

On paper his second class was the same as Mullen's best class, but a lot of the Mullen guys never panned out like we needed and was worse than advertised.
Im curious your point here. Are we saying that everyone is doing the opposite under Nap so we should give him a 3+? No one signed in his second class has played a down yet so we dont know what will happen. This is also a non starter.

Napier's third class is significantly better than anything the last two coaches have done. Looking at the top 200 guys, this '24 class has 10 players while the best Mullen had was 6, McElwain 5
If you have the top 200 stats, post them and ill take a look. Im not doubting the validity at all, i suspect we probably are a lot better represented in the top 200. Im just looking at the numbers presented which were top 100 and unfortunately there's no quantitative difference.

As far as feeling "ok to be happy", again, im looking at numbers. It does FEEL like things are getting better on the crootin trail and I havent been critical of his crootin. It's the one area where i feel pretty good about things. But feelings are subjective and often wrong.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Here’s a comparison to the classes under Mullen and Butters.

Too 100 recruits

Napier
2024 - 6
2023 - 4 (Rashada didn’t enroll, Kelby, Ja’Keem, and Kamran)
2022 - 3 (Kamari Wilson and Shemar James)

Mullen
2021 - 2 (Marshall and Scooby)
2020 - 3 (Wingo, Hendo, Gervon)
2019 - 4 (Steele, K. Elam, Bogle, and Hopper - only 1 of these guys played significant minutes at UF)
2018 - 1 (Copeland)

Butters
2017 - 1 (Slaton)
2016 - 4 (Cleveland, Franks, Clayton, and Chauncey Gardner)
2015 - 2 (Ivey, Jefferson)

A couple of points in those. With JM, Ivey and Jefferson were both gifted to him. CCJ himself admitted he was always coming to UF. And Clayton was a “5*” from the state of georgia that neither Richt or Smart had any interest in. That should tell you a lot about the flaws of some of these rankings and why he even washed out. Mullen was similar. Guys that had decent, not great, rankings that skewed the classes. And I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I know someone who told Torian Gray about the Scooby news the day he committed. Our best recruited had no idea it had even happened and remarked that he didn’t know we were even taking another LB in this class. That’s UF recruiting post 2013 in a nutshell.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A couple of points in those. With JM, Ivey and Jefferson were both gifted to him. CCJ himself admitted he was always coming to UF. And Clayton was a “5*” from the state of georgia that neither Richt or Smart had any interest in. That should tell you a lot about the flaws of some of these rankings and why he even washed out. Mullen was similar. Guys that had decent, not great, rankings that skewed the classes. And I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I know someone who told Torian Gray about the Scooby news the day he committed. Our best recruited had no idea it had even happened and remarked that he didn’t know we were even taking another LB in this class. That’s UF recruiting post 2013 in a nutshell.
Yeah. I remember that. particularly with Cece Jefferson and Martez Ivey.

This is by far the best recruiting we’ve had since 2014.

Are we there yet? Of course not. I suspect that will finish around fifth this year. We need to push for top three next year.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Looking at the top 200 guys, this '24 class has 10 players while the best Mullen had was 6, McElwain 5.
If this is accurate, it is much more telling of the improvement. Key demarcations are top 100 for elite difference makers, and top 250 for all SEC potential across the board. After that, in the SEC at least, it is far more of a crapshot.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did butters and mullen not have about the same? Mullen was hired 1 day after fsu game. Napier was hired maybe 2 weeks after? I honestly dont remember about butters, but in the great scheme of things theres not much difference in hiring/crootin time for mullen and nap so this is a non starter unless you also want to give mullen a pass for his first class in which case, by the numbers, they are still the same.

Im curious your point here. Are we saying that everyone is doing the opposite under Nap so we should give him a 3+? No one signed in his second class has played a down yet so we dont know what will happen. This is also a non starter.

If you have the top 200 stats, post them and ill take a look. Im not doubting the validity at all, i suspect we probably are a lot better represented in the top 200. Im just looking at the numbers presented which were top 100 and unfortunately there's no quantitative difference.

As far as feeling "ok to be happy", again, im looking at numbers. It does FEEL like things are getting better on the crootin trail and I havent been critical of his crootin. It's the one area where i feel pretty good about things. But feelings are subjective and often wrong.
I just went to the team page on 247 and quickly counted the top 200 over each year: https://247sports.com/college/florida/Season/2024-Football/Commits/

I don't have time to recount and post everything, but you can use the link to see what I saw.

The point of everyone had fewer time to recruit the first class is fair. The only difference is that Napier let go of most the guys Mullen recruited and started from scratch, while McElwaim and Mullen held on to what they could and added a few more. I remember this board was very critical of Napiers approach but the end result was pretty good considering the circumstances. But true, the end result on paper looks to be the same.

Time will tell on how Napier's guys will pan out compared to Mullen's. So far, the most consistent contributors on the team are guys Napier brought in, and a lot of Mullen's guys have fizzled out and transferred. We'll be able to have a better comparison in a couple years. So far talent and depth seem to have increased. I think that'll translate on the field.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I just went to the team page on 247 and quickly counted the top 200 over each year: https://247sports.com/college/florida/Season/2024-Football/Commits/

I don't have time to recount and post everything, but you can use the link to see what I saw.

The point of everyone had fewer time to recruit the first class is fair. The only difference is that Napier let go of most the guys Mullen recruited and started from scratch, while McElwaim and Mullen held on to what they could and added a few more. I remember this board was very critical of Napiers approach but the end result was pretty good considering the circumstances. But true, the end result on paper looks to be the same.

Time will tell on how Napier's guys will pan out compared to Mullen's. So far, the most consistent contributors on the team are guys Napier brought in, and a lot of Mullen's guys have fizzled out and transferred. We'll be able to have a better comparison in a couple years. So far talent and depth seem to have increased. I think that'll translate on the field.
I am truly asking here. When did the December early signing begin? Not sure two of those guys had to contend with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator